INVIDIA TBE tune
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on INVIDIA TBE tune within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Just thought I would update on my tune after adding the first mod to my 02 STi! I got ...

INVIDIA TBE tune

Hey

Just thought I would update on my tune after adding the first mod to my 02 STi! I got some pretty crazy gains, going from 165kw to 196.5kw it doesn't feel too crazy as I drove the car around pre-tune (but post new exhaust, yes this is usually bad for your car but for my stock ECU it was okay) for a few days, and it feels quite similar to that - however I don't think the car is getting its full potential...the leaking gasket on my up pipe (connecting to turbo) continues to rattle when I boost the car - instead of giving me the nice whistle sound. hopefully its not doing too much damage - but its fkng annoying so I shall fix it up tomorrow!

anyways heres the sheet for my dyno run, representing power and flywheel torque - there's 2 more sheets that include numbers for high speed air flow ratio data, and manifold gauge pressure (PSI) which are not attached.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/asset....1&d=1371626849
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dyno run.jpg  
    when love of power... overcomes the power of STi, the world will see peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah that 85-100km/h roadspeed mark looks terrible. I wouldn't be satisfied with that tune at all though...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Glad to hear you got a tune!

I would have fixed that up-pipe before tuning. Ask the tuner if they can make some adjustments after you fix the uppipe. And like stated above see if you can get them to straighten out that curve. That's a weird dip in torque and power, not sure what's up with that.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah it was my first tune ever so i didn't know really what to exept besides from hearing a lot of people tell me I will get some really noticible gain but it doesn't seem too different too pre tuned. I told him today that the leaking gasket even feels/ sounds like it's limiting my boost hard and I honestly could not feel much difference after tune. He looked suprised... and I just booked in the gasket replacement for next week. Would this gasket situation be the cause of the ****ty dyno curve? And how much would another tune for the up pipe be? =[ haha

Thnks

Quote Originally Posted by gorecki-STI View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah it was my first tune ever so i didn't know really what to exept besides from hearing a lot of people tell me I will get some really noticible gain but it doesn't seem too different too pre tuned. I told him today that the leaking gasket even feels/ sounds like it's limiting my boost hard and I honestly could not feel much difference after tune. He looked suprised... and I just booked in the gasket replacement for next week. Would this gasket situation be the cause of the ****ty dyno curve? And how much would another tune for the up pipe be? =[ haha

Thnks
    Could be the issue. It certainly isn't helping. I'd probably raise a bit of a polite stink about that curve, and try to get it retuned for less/no money. The tuner didn't question that funkiness in the curve? Did he know there is a leak?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I got it done through my mechanic...who would definitely know about the leak because he drove from the tuner with the car (its pretty noticible...) and his team told me about the leak and said its nothing to really worry about for now (3 weeks ago). When he gave me the dyno sheets he said nothing bad about them...actually said he was impressed :/

really confused!

ps are gaskets fixable on their own?
    from what I remember, he said it was the gasket on the up pipe and im assuming connecting to the turbo (since its fkng with the noise and boost performance).

The Gasket goes in between components on your car to make them air tight. i.e. exhaust pipes, manifold, cylinder heads, valve covers.
    These things are what is in between your exhaust pipes where they're bolted together:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=exha...A4Ta8AT74oCYDQ
    Just unbolt the connection with the bad gasket, slide the new gasket in, and bolt it back together.

The tuner and mechanic both seem a little fishy...No tuner I've ever talked to would tune a car that still needs to be fixed. i.e. exhaust leak, boost leak, bad sensors, spark plugs etc. etc.

Your mechanic and tuner should've had that fixed before tuning it. After fixing the exhaust I'd go back and ask for them to fix the tune for little to no money at all. That seems like a mistake on their part.

And in the meantime I would get on an Australian forum and ask who the good tuners are in your area and also find out where the local crowd meets up. Go to one of their meets (hopefully they'll be friendly) and talk to them about local tuners and other questions you have and also make friends. You wont regret having local enthusiasts to fall back on if you run into problems.

so you recommend me doing it myself? as ive never worked on a car before, but my dad has a sht load of tools...
    although I might just get the mechanic to do it, and then sort something out with fixing the tune hopefully. After I had it tuned, he also mentioned that they reduced my boost (to about 18psi? I think), was this because of leak limiting the airflow?

and yeah I have joined a real good forum in my region...and the weird thing is, nearly all the people on there in my area go to the same mechanic (techworkz)...which is where I heard from them in the first place!
    so im really confused now...unless my mechanic really didn't notice the leak prior to taking it to the tuner, even though his team told me about the leak 3 weeks ago
    Last edited by gorecki-STI; 06-20-2013 at 09:06 AM.

If you dont want to fix it yourself or arent comfortable then have the mechanic fix the gasket. It's up to you.

And like Calvinball said, make sure the tuner knows that the gasket was blown and confront him about the weird curve in the dyno print out. Hopefully they'll work with you. Good luck! I've gone through a lot of complicated moments with my car too. It makes it so much sweeter when everything gets worked out though.

I got the tuners number and called them up and he said ill haveto go to my mechanic for any info because im not the tuners direct customer ( I went through the mechanic).

I called up my mechanic and said this problem on my curve is due to a 'dyno flare' and if I cant feel any difference in the car then theres nothing to worry about...then I told him I do see a difference, the boost is severely limited.

anyway not sure what a dyno flare is, but going to suss out the situation on Monday with him, he said if i haveto fix the tune it'll only be another 100, 200$ though, not 900 :0

Dyno Flare? Da fuq?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Dyno Flare: When a tuner doesn't want to fix a problem in the tune so he blames the tools.

$900 for a tune?
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    $900 for a tune?
    He isn't in the US or even in North America, so you really can't compare prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast