Question about going stage1 for daily driver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question about going stage1 for daily driver within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all! I have a dilemma and need your input. I have a 2003 WRX stock, 5 speed standard. I'm ...

Question about going stage1 for daily driver

hey all! I have a dilemma and need your input. I have a 2003 WRX stock, 5 speed standard. I'm happy with it but i want to get some more out of it. The thing I'm worried abt is that I drive 70m everyday. (im actually thinking of doing seletive things from this list of stage 1 recommendations **Complete WRX Tuning Guide**) Does going to stage 1 change anything given my driving miles and does the maintenance go up? I don't want it to be a financial kill. I'd also love someone here help me do the install. Thanks so much guys.

Best,
    nitin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's a somewhat outdated guide. See the link in my sig for what is generally considered general knowledge these days.

What is currently accepted as stage 1 is pretty safe, as long as your engine is healthy to begin with and you continue to maintain it well.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

yea, I agree with Will. I had stage 1 on my car for many miles, and those are with 40-70 mile commutes.

stage 1 is only a tune. you dont need anything else. Assuming you get a legit tune, and your car is healthy, i wouldn't worry about stg1
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

are you sugggesting merely a tune for stage 1 to the stock set up? Or are you referring to a complete stage 1 setup (up pipe down pipe etc)?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nitinbud View Post
    are you referring to a complete stage 1 setup (up pipe down pipe etc)?
    That wouldn't be a stage 1 set up

Stage 1 is a stock car with a tune or a cat back exhaust with a tune

Once you get an aftermarket downpipe and tune, you are stage 2

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

gotcha thanks. I was refering to this article (**Complete WRX Tuning Guide**) and it includes the up/dn pipes in stage 1. What would you recommend for me to gain like 10-15hp to the wheels for not a lot of money. I do keep up on regular maint on the car however. Its in good shape. 62k miles. Scratch free and always used Amsoil motor and tranny/diff oils.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    That wouldn't be a stage 1 set up

Stage 1 is a stock car with a tune or a cat back exhaust with a tune

Once you get an aftermarket downpipe and tune, you are stage 2

Just get a stage 1 tune.

Find a tactrix cable...purchase a stage 1 tune from an E-tuner...plug in, flash, have a nice day. Cost you $200 and will be best bang for your buck. Otherwise, nothing you do will add more power.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by nitinbud View Post
    gotcha thanks. I was refering to this article (**Complete WRX Tuning Guide**) and it includes the up/dn pipes in stage 1. What would you recommend for me to gain like 10-15hp to the wheels for not a lot of money. I do keep up on regular maint on the car however. Its in good shape. 62k miles. Scratch free and always used Amsoil motor and tranny/diff oils.
    Dunno where you found that thread either...but it's wrong.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Use this thread as a guide. It's a Sticky for a reason, where as the other one is not.

First Modifications - what to do and not to do

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, I think I must never have actually read the content of that thread that the OP referenced...never heard of those stage interpretations, before.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Wow, I think I must never have actually read the content of that thread that the OP referenced...never heard of those stage interpretations, before.
    I know!...I mean the info wasn't terrible, just really incorrectly laid out according to what we know as "typical" these days.

I know when the Subaru game first started stateside, that each company was naming their own stages whatever they wanted...but I thought we were long past that and it had all kind of been homologated.

I Support ClubWRX
    The curious thing about is that it was posted in 2006. The TurboXS standard staging model (S1=tune optional up, cb; S2=S1+dp, etc) was pretty well set by then. As pointed out later in the thread, he must have plagiarized it from something really old.

Yeah, I remember the Vishnu guys had a Stage 0...I think Stage 2 was when you put on a bigger turbo, etc.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The curious thing about is that it was posted in 2006. The TurboXS standard staging model (S1=tune optional up, cb; S2=S1+dp, etc) was pretty well set by then. As pointed out later in the thread, he must have plagiarized it from something really old.

Yeah, I remember the Vishnu guys had a Stage 0...I think Stage 2 was when you put on a bigger turbo, etc.
    2006 was when I first got into the game with my Limited STI...and Cobb was the same way with their stages. Zach, Matty, and I had all discussed the Vishnu stuff as well being "off" compared to the others...kinda weird they didn't stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    2006 was when I first got into the game with my Limited STI...and Cobb was the same way with their stages. Zach, Matty, and I had all discussed the Vishnu stuff as well being "off" compared to the others...kinda weird they didn't stick around.
    Wow thanks for shedding some light on this guys. It really helps me. Any recommendations on the stage 1 tuner? I can look into it. Also Im not super super handy under the hood (i changed my fuel filter, cleaned teh MAF can do an oil and diff drain and fill and replace cabin filters etc) is this doable by me? Or can anyone here help a forumer out?

thanks!

If you have any knowledge of how to use a laptop, you can do an Opensource tune. Download 2 programs onto laptop, load tune into Program 1, plug cable into OBD2 port, plug into laptop, flash with Program 1, Log (record driving data) with Program 2.

For my stage 1 tune, I went with Torqued Performance. I really enjoyed it, its a bit on the more aggresive side, but I used it for a good 30k with no issues (check my name, I put it through its paces).

Also, look into WTF tunes, they are local and do good work. Their head tuner is also teh sehks
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast