The "Check Out Anthony's Log" Thread and help...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on The "Check Out Anthony's Log" Thread and help... within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...me figure out why I didn't just buy a Mustang like rex_harrison told me to. Car: 2011 WRX prem w/: ...

The "Check Out Anthony's Log" Thread and help...

...me figure out why I didn't just buy a Mustang like rex_harrison told me to.

Car: 2011 WRX prem w/:

Cobb Catted DP
    Cobb SFI w/ box
    Turbosmart BPV
    GS AOS
    Cobb AP

Back-story of problem:
    So for the longest time I was running Cobb's STG2+ 93 tune and for the most part it was running fine. Time goes by. I notice I was no longer hitting peak boost which is supposed to be 18.5psi (per Cobb's map notes) so the day after the glorious Victory Meat, sir Matthew of Pants and I went out to play with my log. I did a few pulls and everything was fine except for the fact that I was only hitting 15-16psi, instead of the target 18.5. Everything else in those logs were fine. The car knocked once during the entire drive according to Matty, and it was only -1.4. So we agreed to switch my car to Cobb's HWG map, which is intended for vehicles not hitting target boost.

So the next day I load the map on my AP and flash the car. Drive around town a little bit and finally get around to doing a few pulls on the highway (wasn't logging at all) and it was amazing. The car was hitting exactly 18.5psi (on boost gauge and AP). The car felt fantastic, and I was happy as could be.

Few days later, Freed and I are just bro-in' out, watching Doctor Who, and we end up going and doing some logs on my car. Well, it was constantly knocking while driving. It only went over -2 once, but it was constantly knocking. So it had me a little bit nervous. I originally attributed it to bad gas or something, so I emptied the tank as much as I could and filled up with completely different gas than I normally do...Then I hooked up my AP on the way home today and set it to FKC and once again it was constantly knocking. This time though, it hit -4.2 and that scared me. It didn't knock at all under full load. It was normally knocking at about 5-10% throttle, you know, just normal highway driving I guess? Just to keep moving. I did a quick little 2nd gear pull getting off the highway and it didn't knock at all.

So now I'm wondering what I should do, should I switch back to the normal STG2+ 93oct and underboost or so something else?

Here are the logs from the night with Freed:

This was a 3rd gear pull:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...6ZTBhdWc#gid=0

This was a 4th gear
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...LLVI1Z3c#gid=0

This is another 3rd gear pull, and the one that I knocked at -2.75:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GQkR4NkE#gid=0

...and this fella was just normal cruising around:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kaDVZd3c#gid=0

Picture from AP of today's -4.2:
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

get a mustang

/thread
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

brb going to the Ferd dealership.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    You need a WTF Tune...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Bro'ing out watching Doctor Who? More like fapping over Clara. Thats what I do anyways.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Bro'ing out watching Doctor Who? More like fapping over Clara. Thats what I do anyways.
    omg yes...she is sooooo ****ing hot

Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    omg yes...she is sooooo ****ing hot

Matt Smith is leaving . If they kill her off I am going to be pissed!
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    No wideband? Try cleaning the MAF and IAT sensor. I agree with Matthew. A custom tune could do you good. I have never really been a fan of OTS maps.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    No wideband? Try cleaning the MAF and IAT sensor. I agree with Matthew. A custom tune could do you good. I have never really been a fan of OTS maps.
    No wideband gauge.

I'll try cleaning those over the weekend along with my air filter which I know could use a cleaning.

How safe do you guys think it is to drive like this? I'm supposed to be going to Pittsburgh Thurs and Fri and then back to NJ Friday evening and then on Sunday up to the Poconos for the day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Matt Smith is leaving . If they kill her off I am going to be pissed!
    They already said that she'd be returning for season 8. Fap away my friend.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

you wouldnt have these problems with a mustang
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Agreed.

What are your fuel trims sitting at? I'd expect to see some pretty large A/F Learning values piled up if you are knocking in cruise. Even though you don't have a wideband, we can use your stock sensor for at least an idea of anything during cruise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    How safe do you guys think it is to drive like this? I'm supposed to be going to Pittsburgh Thurs and Fri and then back to NJ Friday evening and then on Sunday up to the Poconos for the day.
    Keep it out of boost. Even if you didn't see any knock in those logs, if you are knocking at cruise, something is probably amiss. I'd give the air filter a clean along with the MAF/IAT sensor before you leave. It may clear up your issue.

FWIW, I personaly believe this is a lot of the reasons the newer STi's tend to blow rings. I've seen countless episodes (myself included) that get regular knock during cruise around 30% throttle. After making some minor changes to the fueling system, it's evident that its the source of the issue in at least my car. It also gives a pretty nasty stumble as it happens. Keep in mind that cars are going 30k miles with the issue and are still running strong. It's detonation in those higher load areas that is crippling... at cruise I wouldn't be too concerned in the short term.

EDIT: Also, random, but check your engine bay for random tools and such. Many people have reported that they forgot a screw driver under the hood and it's sent the knock sensor off pretty badly. With modern day DSP and signal processing, I find it hard to believe, but, meh, who knows.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    you wouldnt have these problems with a mustang
    I know. I'm going to the Ferd dealership after work. Getting a V6 Mustang that will decimate all, after I put about 15 grand into it.

In all seriousness though....I have a trip to Pittsburgh Thurs evening to Friday morning/early afternoon, and then the Poconos on Sunday. So my plan for right now is to switch back to the original STG2+ 93 that I was underboosting on. My logic behind that is that the car wasn't knocking on that tune and underboost > knocking. I'm gonna switch the map when I get home from work and then drive around a little bit and monitor the knock. If that doesn't eliminate the knock then on Wednesday I'm going to clean the air filter, MAF, and IAT sensors. Once I get back from this crazy week I'm going to look for a more permanent fix.

You guys think this is a good course of action for the time being?

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    You guys think this is a good course of action for the time being?
    I'd be surprised if they changed the timing in that middle portion of the map. I'm wondering if you just had some learned fuel trims (or the lack there of) before flashing a new map, and it was enough to kinda push your car a bit over it's comfort point. It's hard to tell without a wideband or even some stock sensor readings.
    2011 STi Build Log

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.