The "Check Out Anthony's Log" Thread and help... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on The "Check Out Anthony's Log" Thread and help... within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Heide264 Agreed. What are your fuel trims sitting at? I'd expect to see some pretty large A/F ...

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Agreed.

What are your fuel trims sitting at? I'd expect to see some pretty large A/F Learning values piled up if you are knocking in cruise. Even though you don't have a wideband, we can use your stock sensor for at least an idea of anything during cruise.
    I honestly do not know. Matty set the parameters to log when he was down and saved it on Freed's laptop, so we just used that. As much as I've read in your threads, I still don't really understand tuning all that much.

EDIT: due to the fact that I don't have a laptop or tactrix cable and can only monitor on the AP for now, what parameters should I watch on it? FKC, FKLC, A/F, anything else? I know the limits for knock, but what should I watch out for on the A/F?

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Keep it out of boost. Even if you didn't see any knock in those logs, if you are knocking at cruise, something is probably amiss. I'd give the air filter a clean along with the MAF/IAT sensor before you leave. It may clear up your issue.

FWIW, I personaly believe this is a lot of the reasons the newer STi's tend to blow rings. I've seen countless episodes (myself included) that get regular knock during cruise around 30% throttle. After making some minor changes to the fueling system, it's evident that its the source of the issue in at least my car. It also gives a pretty nasty stumble as it happens. Keep in mind that cars are going 30k miles with the issue and are still running strong. It's detonation in those higher load areas that is crippling... at cruise I wouldn't be too concerned in the short term.

EDIT: Also, random, but check your engine bay for random tools and such. Many people have reported that they forgot a screw driver under the hood and it's sent the knock sensor off pretty badly. With modern day DSP and signal processing, I find it hard to believe, but, meh, who knows.

Will do. Regardless of what happens tonight with switching back to the non HWG map, I'm gonna clean everything tomorrow, maybe tonight if I end up having enough time. Thanks for the responses guys!
    Last edited by xFalleNx; 06-11-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you're knocking bad on the highway during your trip you can always downshift to 4th. SI engines inherently knock at low engine speed and high load. So increasing engine speed should fix your problem, assuming that part of the map doesnt have timing advanced too far also. Worse mileage, but it should get you home safe and sound. But of course clean the MAF as people suggested.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

I Support ClubWRX
    Check out A/F Learning A/B/C/D as well as RPM and engine load... if you see options for various A/F Learning numbers, use the #1 parameters.

Read FBKC, FLKC, DAM (IAM in OpenSource world), and your stock o2 output as well.

Do a long drive and build up a nice log... then you or I can put it in a pivot table in excel and see if we notice anything.

This is easily found as a "Learning View" snapshot in OpenSource. Learning view hates my ECU... so both of us need to do a little more work to find the information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Maybe I'll see if Freed is free tonight to do some real logs on it.

Either way, I'm going to switch back to the normal STG2+ tune, Matty said it ran fine on it, but was just not hitting target boost.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a plan. Keep in mind, when you flash a new map, you normally reset any of your learned fuel trims.

It may help or it may make your problem worse. 50/50 chance, ha.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Well that's not very comforting lol

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

works 50% of the time almost everytime. Secks Panther Tuning.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Okay so today Zach and I cleaned my IAT, MAF, and air filter. Car is still doing the same thing, just knocking frequently. Most of the logs are just roaming around and some highway driving.

Roaming 1:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&usp=sharing

Roaming 2:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&usp=sharing

Roaming 3:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&usp=sharing

Roaming 4:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing

Roaming 5:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&usp=sharing

Roaming 6:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&usp=sharing

This was an entrance to the highway, a little "pull" in 3rd, 4th, and 5th:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

And this was at the very end I just wanted to do a real 3rd pull just for the data:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0E&usp=sharing

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx
    Okay so today Zach and I cleaned my IAT, MAF, and air filter. Car is still doing the same thing, just knocking frequently. Most of the logs are just roaming around and some highway driving.
    Send me an email and I'll fix your problems...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

sent, you can also text me if you'd like....my # is on FB if you don't have it bud.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    I came here for some **** pics... someone get me some ****in **** pics!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Just curious. Do you drive around with your A/C or defrost on all the time? I am not sure why, but when I drive around with either A/C or defrost on, I get feedback knock. When I turn it off, I don't. It can't be coincidence because I have noticed over and over again (especially at cruising speed) that if the defrost is on (or a/c), I get knock (-1.2 - 2.4 ish). The extra load the A/C or defrost is putting on the engine might be causing this...Just a thought! These other guys know a lot more about these things than I do!
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 06-12-2013 at 03:38 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    To be honest bud, I don't see much wrong.

The detonation isn't in high load areas in those logs, and it isn't very frequent either. Also, you appear to be getting some of the stupid "phantom knock" that I get as well. There is a thread on RR about it - something about "preemptive feedback knock control". It tends to stick out from the classic FBKC by not counting back to zero smoothly... it's only applied for a brief period of time and then it is cleared. It's more obvious with a higher resolution log.

I see a few learned trims in there, but at ~%5 at those loads, not a large concern.

I would just keep an eye on it. I've had some blips of knock in my tunes before like that. Actually adding some timing in and keeping the timing map smooth helped out a lot. Every car is a bit different, may be time to give a custom tune a go.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Just curious. Do you drive around with your A/C or defrost on all the time? I am not sure why, but when I drive around with either A/C or defrost on, I get feedback knock. When I turn it off, I don't. It can't be coincidence because I have noticed over and over again (especially at cruising speed) that if the defrost is on (or a/c), I get knock (-1.2 - 2.4 ish). The extra load the A/C or defrost is putting on the engine might be causing this...Just a thought! These other guys know a lot more about these things than I do!
    I've never thought of the a/c causing issues. I know it sends my timing off the wall at idle. Good thought - I'll keep my eye out for any correlation on my end.
    2011 STi Build Log

Thanks for the reply Brandon.

I'm going to scroll through this thread a bit while at work today:
    http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=15&t=8509

I also talked to Matty last night and we're just going to start fresh on a custom tune. I feel that at this point, that is the better option.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.