Do I need to tune my ride? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Do I need to tune my ride? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm surprised no one mentioned this. I would replace the oem up pipe now, since the stock up pipe is ...

I'm surprised no one mentioned this. I would replace the oem up pipe now, since the stock up pipe is known to send shrapnel into the turbo having catastrophic results. Consider changing the up pipe as a maintenance mod.

This is recommended for all 2.0L USDM WRX's, not sure about other markets.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    On 02-03 USDM bugeyes a Tune isn't necessarily required...but on a JDM spec STI, I'd be willing to bet that a tune is absolutely required, like almost all STIs.

Depends on whether or not the 02 STi has the same open/closed loop fueling delay that 04-05 USDM models have..

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned this. I would replace the oem up pipe now, since the stock up pipe is known to send shrapnel into the turbo having catastrophic results. Consider changing the up pipe as a maintenance mod.

This is recommended for all 2.0L USDM WRX's, not sure about other markets.
    I think I did suggest to the OP in another thread or in chat that he look at the uppipe to see if there is a cat in it. Foreign market...maybe not. That might have just been for U.S. emissions laws. Don't know if he ever looked though.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Personally, even if a car doesn't REQUIRE a tune for a mod, if your spending over a couple hundred and its a performance part your purchasing, not tuning is almost like washing your car an hour before it rains... a bit of effort and essentially not much gain or improvement. If you're spending your money on something and are expecting a change out of the precious item, you mite as well go for all the possible gains.

That being said, a COBB AccessPort is a great base to build off of, I personally think.
    that's true but I am definitely getting a tune, just i am getting the exhaust done first then the tune a week later - but no problems will be caused due to not tuning right away??
    Awesome ive been loving the cobb exhaust on some youtube vids, also i will not be doing any more mods after the exhaust (besides just raise + lights)
    when love of power... overcomes the power of STi, the world will see peace

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    hahahahaha mad! thanks for googling for me too
    when love of power... overcomes the power of STi, the world will see peace

Quote Originally Posted by gorecki-STI View Post
    that's true but I am definitely getting a tune, just i am getting the exhaust done first then the tune a week later - but no problems will be caused due to not tuning right away??
    Awesome ive been loving the cobb exhaust on some youtube vids, also i will not be doing any more mods after the exhaust (besides just raise + lights)
    I cannot guarantee no problems will arise if you install the exhaust then wait a few days until you tune. I personally didn't chance it, I let the exhaust sit in my garage until the tune came and I could install it and flash the tune in one sitting. I personally don't think it's worth the risk. Will something happen? Probably not. Could something happen? Absolutely.

My 04 wrx is getting high miles, thinking of a rebuild and my goal is 350hp or more on pump gas. I don't know where to start, I tried to find a post on wrx club but I'm not smart enough. Can someone point me in the right direction. thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the link in my signature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks for the links. Is there a science to now what to do for a pacific hp . (example) 300hp TBE . 350hp TBE+tuning . if this helps please help me. thanks again

Just look at what others have done and what power that got them. For what it's worth, no one measures power in hp, it's measured at the wheels, so whp. And everything will be + tuning. If it's a modification that's going to make the car more powerful, it will need to be specifically tuned for.

Thks

If you're wanting to make 350whp on a heart breaker Mustang dyno here is my recommendation.. rebuild your ej205 into a 2.1L stroker using a heat treated STi crank, Manley h-beam rods, and something like a 92.25mm 4032 Arias pistons with an offset wrist pin. Bore each cylinder to match the specific piston that's going in it, and have the entire rotating assembly balanced. Use ARP head studs and rod bolts. Put GSC non-avcs S1 cams in the heads, with +1mm valves, either a 5 angle or radiused valve job.

Then something like the Killer B 4-1 exhaust manifold, with a 38mm Tial EWG. KS Tech big MAF intake, Perrin 3" turbo inlet, with a Blouch 20g-XT, or Dom 1.5-xtr if you make sure you hit your power goal (put a bracket on the IWG arm to hold it shut). ID1000cc injectors and a 400lph fuel pump should provide enough fuel as long as you're planning on running pump gas in it. You're going to need a good intercooler, the ProcessWest TMIC would work, or if you want higher peak numbers with a little sacrifice to response, an ETS FMIC. Forge Recirculating Race BOV (or Tial QR). 3-port EBCS, or use that along with a good MBC for hybrid boost control. Perform TGV deletes, port and polish intake manifold and throttle body. You will also want the STi oil pan and baffle, along with a Killer B oil pickup. The shallow flat WRX oil pan on that car is just a disaster waiting to happen. And a good non-restrictive 3" TBE will be needed of course.

Of course you will need other things to make the car more drivable without breaking things. ACT HDSS with an ACT streetlight flywheel worked great for me, and you should at least upgrade your transmission gears to something like a cyro treated shot peened set of LGT gears.. or think about doing a six speed swap. You might break the r160 rear diff if you drive it too hard, but I wouldn't worry about that till it happens.

It would be a good idea to upgrade the brakes and suspension as well to keep it on the road. A high quality set of adjustable dampers and springs with swaybars and endlinks should do it.. unless you're racing it you could probably just get away with Hawk HPS pads and Goodridge brake lines with good fluid and ultra high performance summer tires.

If the car is up there in miles you really should replace all the suspension bushings, engine, and transmission mounts as well.. TiC makes a pretty comprehensive bushing kit that really made my car feel like new.

Hope I answered some of your questions.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 07-07-2014 at 01:39 PM.

thanks You did help but cant I just keep my crank an change bearings , rods , pistons an rings. is that enough for the "low end". I think I going with cobb tuning stage 3? Thanks for the help.

I Support ClubWRX
    A Cobb "Stage 3" does not require an engine rebuild.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I understand I don't need to rebuild but I will help right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.