Question regarding Cobb AP

This is a discussion on Question regarding Cobb AP within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just purchased one off Ebay, updated the firmware, and flashed stage 1. I'm very happy with it but ...

Registered User Subiesaurus-WRX's Avatar

Question regarding Cobb AP

So I just purchased one off Ebay, updated the firmware, and flashed stage 1. I'm very happy with it but my question is if I take my car back to the dealer for routine maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, etc) do I have to flash back to stock setting every time? Will they notice that it has been flashed? Will they give me crap about it?

Thanks for the help guys!
    2013 WRX PBP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on the dealer.

No problem as long as there's no issues. If anything breaks and the ugly word "warranty" crops up, all bets are off.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see why they would want to inspect your tune for a routine oil change. They are not paid to do that.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I don't see why they would want to inspect your tune for a routine oil change. They are not paid to do that.
    That is what I figured. Just don't want to get flagged if something goes wrong in the future.
    2013 WRX PBP

No worries, I actually change my map over to Valet before I hand the keys over to the service desk No high rpm joy rides in the parking lot for them. My dealer actually sold me on the car when I was shopping by bringing the head service manager over to tell me about the Cobb AccessPort and other changes I can do to get a little more out of the car. Most Subaru dealerships have WRX enthusiasts working there and don't give most mods a second look during service. My service manager likes when I come in so he can ask about what I did to it since my last visit

Be warn if something breaks and you know it was due to your change (mod) that you should not ask it to be covered under warranty. Just be straight up front with them and they will try and help if they can. I haven't read of someone having a bad Stage 1 map that lead to either a turbo or engine failure, so you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
    No worries, I actually change my map over to Valet before I hand the keys over to the service desk No high rpm joy rides in the parking lot for them. My dealer actually sold me on the car when I was shopping by bringing the head service manager over to tell me about the Cobb AccessPort and other changes I can do to get a little more out of the car. Most Subaru dealerships have WRX enthusiasts working there and don't give most mods a second look during service. My service manager likes when I come in so he can ask about what I did to it since my last visit

Be warn if something breaks and you know it was due to your change (mod) that you should not ask it to be covered under warranty. Just be straight up front with them and they will try and help if they can. I haven't read of someone having a bad Stage 1 map that lead to either a turbo or engine failure, so you should be fine.
    Awesome! Thanks for that info.
    2013 WRX PBP

Good thing I found this thread!

I too am looking into getting an AP for my 06 WRX wagon. Its got 34k and 3 years left on the warranty. I want to know if there is some sort of ECU changelog that the dealership would be able to see when I take it in. I'd tune it for power when I want to, and factory tune when I bring it back in.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressthepig View Post
    I want to know if there is some sort of ECU changelog that the dealership would be able to see when I take it in.

Yes.. more or less.

Okay, you have a 2006 WRX. Nice, but not exactly a new car. You have an existing warranty and you are worried that a ECU tune might do something negative to your car and void your warranty. If you feel that a tune will damage your car then don't put one on it. Dealerships know what us WRX owners are doing to our cars and really aren't the tune police. If you tune your car and replace OEM parts with aftermarket ones you do it at your own risk.

Are you expecting that a tune can be removed and hidden from the dealership? Why are worried about what your dealer can see on your car? If it breaks, and your changing of the car proves to be the caused you are on the hook for the repairs. Otherwise, if something breaks that is covered by the warranty you are covered.

What some don't understand is that changing your car is AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don't expect to have someone else pay for your mistakes. If the problem is not caused by your change then you will be covered; although you might have to convince some dealerships that is the case. Subaru like any other car company stands by their products, maybe better then some others. If you have a real warranty issue that is a defect it will be handled accordingly. Don't try to get something over on them if you know it was caused by you.

And that's where places like this come in: here you find out what works, what don't. Some mods are either not worth it, downright dangerous or just fine. Here is the info - central, where I go fist and then take it from there... I, for one, am not counting on warranties, just try and have things right. If and when something breaks - I'll just have to be able to handle it. If I can't afford it, maybe this is not the car for me. No sense in going bankrupt over a car. If I blow the engine to shreds: of course that'll be trouble and take time go gather up the money and even with mainly own labor it'll take expensive parts and lots of time. In the meanwhile I have another car I can use, my camping trailer tow truck, expensive to run as daily driver but do-able.
    Bottom line: if you can't afford it - just don't do it. No matter if that means owning a WRX or modifying it...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Another question for you guys...is there a "lag" in the clutch where I need to add more gas when switching maps? I feel like I can't just release it as normal. Instead I have to thread more gas off the start. 2nd-5th are awesome (better than stock), it is just the initial releasing of the clutch. Is this normal?
    2013 WRX PBP

Maybe some of the guys with more experience with the WRX transmission can chime in on this one. The clutch does have a natural slip action to it during shifts you mentioned. I see it too on my 2013 and after looking at some YouTube videos of transmission problems you don't want to dump the clutch in 1st gear or 1st --> 2nd gear change. To be safe, I slip the clutch when stopped and starting out in 1st gear then make a smooth 1st to 2nd shift. Once I have 2nd engaged I gas it and let the turbo spool up the fun meter. The rest of the up shifts are low enough torque that you are not doing damage to the transmission; even at redline shifts.

If you try to drag race start the stock transmission you are going eat up the synchros and splines in the transmission. Those who are drag racing the car more than likely have a built transmission to handle the higher power they are adding also. Just let the car get into the first two gears cleanly then punch away at the gas.

Just my 2 cents...