Clearing a P0457 with RomRaider

This is a discussion on Clearing a P0457 with RomRaider within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got one of those pesky P0457 CEL on my 2003. Did the easy thing and replaced the cap. Didn't ...

Clearing a P0457 with RomRaider

I've got one of those pesky P0457 CEL on my 2003. Did the easy thing and replaced the cap. Didn't do it. Does anyone have experience with using RomRaider to make this code go away permanently? The other quick fix I've read and will try first is to clear the code and fill the tank up. If you don't let it get below 3/4 tank it supposedly will not ask for that sensor. Theory is that it should pass the state emissions inspection while it's in this state of never having asked for the sensor allowing all the others system to come back up. As I understand it you can get a pass as long as no more than one sensor is not reading. Anyone have any related experience. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes it is very easy to clear codes with Romraider.... but this isn't one of those codes I'd delete.
    I'm gonna link you to this:
    P0457 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I Support ClubWRX
    Depending on the year of the vehicle determins how easy disabaling the DTC will be. On the 32 bits you can just uncheck a box. On the 16 bit ECU's it requires changing of some hex values as the P0457 is not on of the optinal DTC fixes. If it's not the gascap it is generally a small vac leak.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well I followed some advice that I had read elsewhere and thought I would share. It was suggested to clear the code and fill the tank up. And not let it get below 3/4 tank. You then drive normally so all of the other sensors can come on-line. It was stated that under this situation the evap sensor would not be called on. I did as suggested and drove the car all weekend. When I took the car in for the state this afternoon it passed the emissions inspection. The Evap sensor was not active but in Missouri as in other states it can pass with only one sensor not reporting. FWIW