02, 03 wrx ecm flexability

This is a discussion on 02, 03 wrx ecm flexability within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; as i have been reading i keep coming across people say that the 02 and 03 wrx ecm computer has ...

02, 03 wrx ecm flexability

as i have been reading i keep coming across people say that the 02 and 03 wrx ecm computer has more learning flexibility than newer cars. i already know that i need to tune and am gearing up for ecm college thanks to unibomber and a few others that have recomended reading before tackling opensource tuning or romraider...whichever. havent got that far yet, school before tools. my question for fellows already graduated is can i diy port n polish my factory exaust manifolds and crossover pipe safely already running a grimmspeed up pipe and new timc hoses? i understand that the motor really isnt producing more exaust if i do, but i am worried about spooling the turbo to quick for the computer to push fuel(read...need tune)making lean=bad on high mileage motor. if it can learn the extra flow, great 'cause im dropping the manifolds anyway for new gaskets and a left side bore n tap for egt sensor. otherwise it will be a in and out for the sensor and new gaskets. then, read read read lol, tune.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The 16 bit ECU logic is much simpler than the newer CANbus ECU logic, for better or for worse. My concern with PnPing the crosspipe would be a slight bump in motor volumetric efficiency that could potentially put you into untuned load cells. It's probably not likely but certainly possible that this will cause significant knock.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks zax. It can wait until I can afford mr. Grimm's PNP matched manifolds and cross pipe and that new down pipe. Then tune...lol