What do you think. Tuned or not tuned
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do you think. Tuned or not tuned within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. New to the subie world and have a few questions about the 06 wrx TR I bought a ...

What do you think. Tuned or not tuned

Hey guys. New to the subie world and have a few questions about the 06 wrx TR I bought a few months ago. The car came with a few mods like turbo back exhaust and intake. I found a Cobb AP booklet with the car as well but no programmer. My question is...do you think the guy before me unmarried the AP when he sold the car. Boost in 3rd gear hits 14.5 psi. The car doesn't run bad at all. No idling issues. Doesn't backfire and pulls hard in all gears. Another question is would I notice these kind of issues if I was running the stock tune with these mods or is it worth me buying another AP to have it opensourced tuner. I guess my point is. I don't want to mess with something that isn't broke but I want the stage 2 maps from Cobb. Just need your opinion if you think it is tuned or not. That's why I hate buying modded cars. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you still able to get in touch with the guy you bought it from? Might be worth trying to reach out and ask him. Also, what kind of intake is on there (brand)? With the turbo back exhaust and the intake, you definitely want it to be on a stage 2 tune and not the stock tune. 14.5 PSI sounds low, so my guess is that it is not currently on the stage 2 tune, which it should be.

Yeah problem is I bought it from a dealer and the guy traded it in I guess or they bought it from an auction. It has an AEM cai on it but turbo back is 3 inch. I don't know the brand. There isn't any stamp on the muffler. At higher Rpms boost drops from 14.5 to around 12 but low Rpms stays right under 15psi. Guess I'm just going to buy the AP. didn't want to drop the money if It wasn't going to be worth it but it sounds like I'm going to see some nice gains if I am runnin the stock maps

Find a local tuner shop and see if they'll take a look at your ROM. If its tuned, it should be visible...I believe.

They told me I needed to buy an AP for them to tune it because the local AWD shops software is for EVOs and Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by EKThrilla View Post
    They told me I needed to buy an AP for them to tune it because the local AWD shops software is for EVOs and Porsche.
    Ahhh balls, sorry to hear it.

Yeah tell me about it. Shouldn't the car run bad if it had the stock tune with these mods? I'm new to the turbo world. I've always owned mustangs in the past and it wasn't an issue when you added bolt ons lol

Are you sure you are running a Full turbo back exhaust, meaning you also have a downpipe. If you are running just a cat-back exhaust and intake, it is possible (not recommended) that you are running either stge 1 tune or stock tune. If you do have a Downpipe and an intake and your car isn't breaking up or overboosting, it probably is tuned. He could have detuned your stage 2 to only push around 1 bar of boost.

I definitely recommend purchasing a Cobb AP and getting it on the dyno to get some #'s and to see if the car is tuned or not! Better to pay to see what is going on then to let it destroy itself! Glad its holding up!
    2007 UGM STI: Vigilant Street series short block, ClutchMaster FX350 clutch w/ lightweight Flywheel, Invidia catless DP, Invidia N1 Race CBE, Grimspeed EBCS, Walbro 255 FP, BC Coils, AEM CAI, 8k lights, Driver Mod

I just assumed it is turbo back because its a 3 inch exhaust straight off the turbo all the way back to the exhaust tip.

Quote Originally Posted by EKThrilla View Post
    I just assumed it is turbo back because its a 3 inch exhaust straight off the turbo all the way back to the exhaust tip.
    If it's 3" off the turbo, my money says it got parts on it for stage2. But of course, the questions remains if it's tuned or not.

Any local guyd/girls around you that have the cables and a laptop to check your ROM for you? See if you can rustle anybody up for that chore. That's probably the easiest and cheapest way to look I'd say.

It does cut out sometimes when your at wide open throttle and go to shift. It feels like it hits a rev limiter. Mainly it does that in first gear when I short shift. But under throttle it doesn't have a miss or break up or anything. I guess it doesn't hurt buying the AP and putting cobbs stage 2 map on it. Worse thing is I don't gain any hp but an extra 2-3 psi should be some good hp. Anyone know about how much of a gain that would be in hp? Ballpark

Could be up to 25hp and 30lb-tq... This is from just seeing many dyno's and sti's getting tuned and basing off memory. May be wrong but i would say around there.
    2007 UGM STI: Vigilant Street series short block, ClutchMaster FX350 clutch w/ lightweight Flywheel, Invidia catless DP, Invidia N1 Race CBE, Grimspeed EBCS, Walbro 255 FP, BC Coils, AEM CAI, 8k lights, Driver Mod

That is exciting news. Something I'm looking forward to lol I'm going to try to order the AP today and get it overnighted.

Ok I ordered my AP today. It will be here tomorrow around lunch time. Does the AP take my first reading when I plug it in and make that my stock map? For instance if my car doesn't like the maps Cobb has supplied. Can I go back to this tune until I can get it protuned

I Support ClubWRX
    with stage 2 you should be around 17psi so it sounds untuned
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.