low Boost?

This is a discussion on low Boost? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; happy easter everyone, i have a perrin EBCS pro running the SLOW BLEED mode, basically stock mode, becasue when i ...

low Boost?

happy easter everyone,

i have a perrin EBCS pro running the SLOW BLEED mode, basically stock mode, becasue when i bought the car there was a mbc on it replaced it with the best thing i could find...

well anyway, today i plugged in my accessport after changing my oil, and now it says even when its floored to the ground i only hit 7.7 psi??????

any ideas on whats going on?

thanks for reading.
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's running wastegate pressre. Need to know how exactly you hooked up the EBCS and if the car was tuned for the MBC. Usually set the wastegate duty cycle to zero when I tune for MBC's. Also not sure if the Perrin solenoid requires the stock vacuum line restrictor pill in "slow mode" contact Perrin about that.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    It's running wastegate pressre. Need to know how exactly you hooked up the EBCS and if the car was tuned for the MBC. Usually set the wastegate duty cycle to zero when I tune for MBC's.
    Agreed.

OP, did you flash one of the Cobb maps? Or did you leave the tune that was on the car on there? Is there anything else done to the car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

thank you for answering. what i know is this i have aftermarket parts as follows

i have front to back is k&n intake, Megan headers, Megan up pipe, injen down pipe stromung exhaust, perrin EBCS pro, Cobb Accessport running stage 2 91 octane. then springs, struts, stuff that doesn't affect the engine,

but in the instructions for the EBCS in slow/bleed mode it says use all oem vaccum tubes, so im assuming it wants it to stay with the restrictor pill, i dont know much about this stuff.

also i was wondering, and correct me if im wrong, but a MBC's only job is to keep the boost at a desired maximum level, right? like i can put my Perrin EBCS in Interrupt mode,(the way its supposed to be hooked up for better/higher boost) and set the MBC to the target boost the Accessport can hold right?

http://www.perrinperformance.com/sha.../asmtac725.pdf

the link is for the PDF version of the instruction manual.
    sorry for all the questions,
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You need to follow the map notes explicitly. The Cobb Stage 2 map does NOT support that header, that intake, or that EBCS system. Datalog for us... I can bet that your IAM (DAM) fell below the critical threshold and the ECU pulled boost. Given the changes in your timing from the header and intake, the poor quality of fuel you've added to your car, and the changes in laminar flame velocity these have both introduced, your car has probably sustained a significant amount of engine knock. I would remove the mods or get a professional tune, but first perform a leakdown test to ensure nothing has been irreparably damaged.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah bud... You gotta get that thing tuned. Go find a professional tuner or an e-tuner (I'd recommend a dyno tune over an e-tune, personally) and tell them you need help.

All 3 - the header, EBCS, and intake cause slight changes to the car. I know the older ones are a bit more tolerable of mechanical changes without tune tweaks, but with all three of those changes, go get a tune.

Considering your stage 2 tune does not have zero'd out duty cycles, that's a pretty big hint something is pretty amiss.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

zax
    Cobb runs wastegate pressure below 6 DAM and reenables boost control tables above 8 DAM:

Facebook me here

Just looked at my live data I'm at 7 dam

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerSteadman View Post
    Just looked at my live data I'm at 7 dam

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2
    Since the ECU pulls boost at IAM 6, then reenables at IAM 8, likely your IAM dropped to 6, but hasn't incremented past 8 yet. Hence the reason the boost was pulled.

Facebook me here

well im going to go outside here in a min. and reset my ecu and reload the stage 2 91 octane map. and see what happens. then off to find a good tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerSteadman
    well im going to go outside here in a min. and reset my ecu and reload the stage 2 91 octane map. and see what happens. then off to find a good tune.
    Why are you going to reset your ECU? The car pulled timing for a reason. That's like catching the clap, getting antibiotics, and continuing to send your soldier into battle without a helmet...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerSteadman View Post
    You do understand that there is a reason your ECU is set to pull boost at that DAM? It is attempting to prevent your engine from blowing up. Resetting it will just repeat the abuse the engine has already gone through.

Tired of these threads... "Well... I have XXX and YYY done, and I am running a tune for ZZZ only. I can run this tune, right?"... "No. You can't"... "Oh, well, I'm gonna do it anyhow. Thanks for wasting your time!". At least you said you are going to get a good tune, but don't reset your ECU in the mean time. You'll just do more damage.
    2011 STi Build Log