Torqued performance vs Cobb accessport
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Torqued performance vs Cobb accessport within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Which is better and why? I'm tired of searching for this topic and if it is already posted pardon me; ...

Torqued performance vs Cobb accessport

Which is better and why? I'm tired of searching for this topic and if it is already posted pardon me; I still would like to know though. $135 versus $595 is a no-brainer but if will cost more to fix later..smh. Please, someone tell me which one is worth it and for how long. Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let's start with the basics. A car's performance depends on many variables, in this case we are looking at your ECU's tune.

For Subarus, there are 2 main ways to retune our cars, with an accessport(aboot $500) and a Tactrix cable aka opensource($150).
    There are pros and cons for both. And it all comes down to preference.

Torqued performance sells a tune for the opensource and Accessport, if I recall correctly. Both about $100.
    With a Torqued tune and a Tactrix cable, the cheaper solution. Your total investment including the Tactrix cable would only be $250.

The Cobb unit comes with base maps included. These tend to carry a larger margin for safety. Therefore not as powerful. In the end they both do the same thing so it's up to you. You shouldn't be having to replace things later down the road because you went with one solution over the other.

...unless you initially pick the accessport and realize it wasn't worth it, so you sell it to buy a Tactrix cable.

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    unless you initially pick the accessport and realize it wasn't worth it, so you sell it to buy a Tactrix cable.
    This is what I did. Some seem to have negative options about torqued performance, but I've been happy with my experience. And that said there's other open source options. Didn't like Cobb map personally, was good but not as impressive as expected.

After going through this process about a year ago here's my thoughts...

1) Accessport is VERY easy and does provide great margin of safety, great for plug and play users with $500 to pay for the convenience. You can get a TP map for your accessport no problem, that product is already waiting for you to buy as is.

2) Open Source Email Tunes do start as canned maps but, I'd assume that almost all open source tuners will provide tweaked maps after you log and send them data results from pulls on each map update. The reason the whole get go is cheaper here is because you need to do some leg work on your part. You'd need to buy or borrow a Tactrix cable, get your laptop loaded with the correct programs and drivers...all free, get the programs configured correctly with data/files that support your specific model, and then learn to use the programs at a very basic level in order to complete the map flashing and then the logging. It sound a little daunting in initial exposure but is really very easy. There is also tons of info on the various Suby forums about how to do it. I am no IT guy but have been able to successfully log/flash new maps to several cars and also log and view the variables that are critical when tuning. I don't manipulate the tunes myself but the rest is cake after a little reading and maybe 2.37 beers.

Of course I'm biased, and like to be more engaged with the process because that's half the fun, so I really think that the open source tunes can be amazing and still provide the reliability but also the kick in the ass the cars are capable of.

Hit me up if you'd like some links to great info on the open source and specifically some info that out there in relation to Open Source Tuning and related How To's. I'm at Stg2 from TP now and absolutely love when stock Sti's, Chargers, BMW's and Audi's try to step.....we usually have a good laugh once they catch up to me and we stop and chat at the next stop light.

I just got my cobb ap yesterday, sat in a parking spot outside my townhouse loaded the stage 2 93 v310. map on my car. Its really simple the directions are easy to follow and took all of 10 min for everything to set up and load up on the car. For the money i spent to know that the preloaded maps wont blow my stuff up and knowing that I'm getting very good power and also keeping my car from blowing its self up I am very pleased with what i got. I work at a Mazda VW dealership and repair and diagnose pretty much everything there is to do on a car. Tuning is a whole other monster. I do not trust my knowledge of tuning to start messing with fuel trim and timing advance and retarding and possibly having detonation going on. Thankfully I am by a Turbo XS warehouse where they do tuning and i can just leave that part to them. Never bought or messed with tactrix cable though hope this helps.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

I have both the Cobb AP and and now running the 3rd (4th?) revision of the Torqued Performance Stage 3 map.

The Cobb AP is invaluable to me. Yes, a laptop and the tactrix cable can do everything the AP does for cheaper, but I like the ability to quickly scroll through the different monitors. I also like how simple it is to use.

I went to stage 2 on the Cobb AP, and then I went to stage 2 with the torqued performance map. Initially, they weren't THAT much different, but after Eric finished the revision, it was noticeably better (butt dynos being what they are).

I went to stage 3 almost immediately after that, and while the process hasn't been as simple as stage 2 (getting the tune precisely correct), we are getting pretty close. Eric is a very good guy to work with, and usually responds within an hour of when I send him my logs. I highly recommend him if you aren't going to get a custom tune.

I think a lot of it has to do with what you are comfortable with, and what your final goals are. I want a safe, reliable every day driver that can keep up with STIs on the road, so I didn't feel I needed a custom tune. Your mileage may vary.

I know a few people that have had ringland failures on the COBB base maps, anyways personally I would go with the tactrix and TP, there is no competition in any way shape or form, from the throttle response to the way the vehicle will deliver its power, Eric is insanely good, I'm beyond stage 3 with him and with my wideband logger my tune is as good as a protune...
    2013 DGM WRX

TP tuned FMS FMIC Grimmspeed 38mm EWG AEM Intake Invidia DP SPT Exhaust DW65c GS EBCS Torque Solution mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Dgmftw View Post
    I know a few people that have had ringland failures on the COBB base maps, anyways personally I would go with the tactrix and TP, there is no competition in any way shape or form, from the throttle response to the way the vehicle will deliver its power, Eric is insanely good, I'm beyond stage 3 with him and with my wideband logger my tune is as good as a protune...

MMMM, TP Tune!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgmftw
    there is no competition in any way shape or form
    That's a pretty bold statement. How many other people have tuned the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dgmftw
    with my wideband logger my tune is as good as a protune...
    Not quite. Email tuning is a good option for someone who doesn't have easy access to a good tuner, especially when you have proper equipment (e.g., wideband) installed. I would much rather map a car in person than via email.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I personally like the Cobb Accessport.

1. Ease of use
    2. Functionality (Data logging, realtime engine monitoring and diagnostic)
    3. My protuner uses Accessport

It's worked well for me. I bought it with the idea to go stage 1 for a while. Received it in the mail, plugged it into the car and flashed stage 1. Then a couple months later bought a Cobb SF intake ... installed it and then re-flashed stage 1 + SF. Few months later bought a down pipe, installed it and then flashed to stage 2. All very easy to do and safe.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I prefer using a Utec.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I prefer using a Utec.
    I didnt know they still made em
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Yea, and I'm constantly being reminded to get a Cobb over the other competition. We will see what works in a week 'er two. Will post pics.
    '11 WRX
    Drive and determination.

Real quick,

Will using an access port other than Cobb void my warranty or am I voiding it all together by installing an access port? Just trying to have all my ducks in a row before I jump into mods. Pardon me for having all these questions but I like to do things right; the first time! Any additional info/insight is greatly appreciated.
    '11 WRX
    Drive and determination.

Hey bro, appreciate all that info.
    '11 WRX
    Drive and determination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast