Torqued performance vs Cobb accessport - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Torqued performance vs Cobb accessport within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; it will not "void" your warranty, but it could cause a claim to be denied if they link the tune/accessport ...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    it will not "void" your warranty, but it could cause a claim to be denied if they link the tune/accessport back to your problem

ie: if your AC goes out, they wont deny your warranty claim because of your accessport
    if your engine blows up, they could possibly deny your warranty claim because of your accessport

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pozito View Post
    Real quick,

Will using an access port other than Cobb void my warranty or am I voiding it all together by installing an access port? Just trying to have all my ducks in a row before I jump into mods. Pardon me for having all these questions but I like to do things right; the first time! Any additional info/insight is greatly appreciated.
    There are multiple threads on this ....

Mostly depends on your dealer and what the problem is (engine/transmission/etc)

... assume that it will
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey bro, appreciate all that info.
    Your not the first person to ask this question. Cobb's products have been on the market for easily over a decade not to mention EVEY Subaru forum has a search feature. Their website also contains plenty of info. Nothing erks me more than people that bump their own threads because they are just sitting around waiting for others to spoonfeed them information. That is just pure laziness..........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

How is the TP stg 1 compared to Cobb's stg 1 hwg 93 (2013 wrx)? TP says target boost is 18psi and I hit 18 consistantly on the Cobb hwg map. Would it make much of a difference? I haven't used the map much but there was no boost spiking and it felt like a big difference from the regular 93 map where I was hitting low 16's.

I Support ClubWRX
    More boost doesn't always mean more power. There are instances where less boost and more timing end up making more power.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by SAL-23 View Post
    How is the TP stg 1 compared to Cobb's stg 1 hwg 93 (2013 wrx)? TP says target boost is 18psi and I hit 18 consistantly on the Cobb hwg map. Would it make much of a difference? I haven't used the map much but there was no boost spiking and it felt like a big difference from the regular 93 map where I was hitting low 16's.
    The TP map will be more tailored specifically to your car in your climate region since adjustments are made based on logs you pass back and forth...Cobb maps are more run of the mill good enough for every car. Though not bad, Cobb maps also don't address peaks and valleys in AFRs and power levels like a TP map probably would.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Which is better and why? I'm tired of searching for this topic and if it is already posted pardon me; I still would like to know though. $135 versus $595 is a no-brainer but if will cost more to fix later..smh. Please, someone tell me which one is worth it and for how long. Thx.
    Obviously from my sig I have the TP tune. I've only used those for this car. For my Evo X I had an AP for quite a while and I did like it's ease. However, it doesn't have the processing power that a laptop has using standard tuning software. The TP map I can send Eric the runs and he will adjust them. The Cobb maps are sort of a safe for all cars, but IMO you won't get quite the power. That's not to stay one is "better" than the other. It's more about what you prefer more. If you want a good tune then go to a good protuner, get it done for the mods you have... maybe monitor it from time to time, but leave it alone other than that. They are expensive enough that you'll only want to do it once anyway, but you'll have actual dyno numbers (if you care about those or if they even mean that much to begin with) and you'll have a good, specific tune that you can see all of in person.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Registered User Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
    I started with the AP and Cobb map then went to a TP map. I like having the AP so I can log and use as boost gauge (or any other gauge) I prefer the TP map over the stage II Cobb map.

If it's in the budget then buy both and see which one you like.
    Stink-Eye Mob #667

2011 WRX Limited (Joan)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Thor)
    1965 Chevrolet Impala (Clara)

Intro Thread- PICS

i like my Cobb AP and Cobb stage II map. im sure a TP map might make a few more hp. but to me its not worth the extra $85 for ~10whp. and i like the fact that cobbs maps are considered the "less powerful safer option" safer being the key word. if it wasnt a daily driver id be all for squeezing every last hp out of it. but for my daily. safer is better imho
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

If you're worried about warranty claims, don't modify the car. They (SoA) are particularly strict about engine modifications it seems.

The best thing (imo) would be to find someone local, with experience, that is willing to do opensource tunes. That way you don't have to buy any hardware (if you don't want to) and you get a tune customized for your car in your climate/region. Unfortunately a lot of the really good well known guys only want to tune on the AP which to me is just too much cost. You can get a good tune done without a dyno as road conditions are more representative. You just won't get a fancy printout and chart (but virtual dyno does a pretty nice job). Tell us where you're located so people can make recommendations.

My major knock (hehe) against the Cobb AP is the device itself. Looks like its from the 90s. Seriously for that money I can get a smartphone with a multi touch high res 4"+ display and a dual core processor blah blah blah. Or as many have said before, you can get a cheap laptop and a tactrix for the same price. /rant.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
    I started with the AP and Cobb map then went to a TP map. I like having the AP so I can log and use as boost gauge (or any other gauge) I prefer the TP map over the stage II Cobb map.

If it's in the budget then buy both and see which one you like.
    I agree on the fact that I like having the AP. It is a small convenient monitoring device that you can have running in your car all the time to monitor live data (such as feedback knock). Once you get your tune working properly you shouldn't really need to monitor this too much, but I still do. Made me aware of the fact that when the A/C and defrost are on, I get slight feedback knock at lower RPMs. I no longer run my A/C or defrost (if I can help it). I don't have experience with TP maps, but I would have to assume that if they are adjusting it for you then it would be better than a canned "fit all" map from COBB. I got my AP from Perrin, and I got their maps for free with the device (as well as COBB maps). Perrin has actually done three revisions for me over email (through sending datalogs to them), and they helped me work through some issues with underboosting. Once I decide to protune the map can also be loaded with the AP. Once I decide I don't want the AP any longer, I am pretty comfortable that I will be able to get a lot of my money back by un-marrying it and selling it to someone used. There is a pretty good market for used APs.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    i like my Cobb AP and Cobb stage II map. im sure a TP map might make a few more hp. but to me its not worth the extra $85 for ~10whp. and i like the fact that cobbs maps are considered the "less powerful safer option" safer being the key word. if it wasnt a daily driver id be all for squeezing every last hp out of it. but for my daily. safer is better imho
    Ease of use yes, but I wouldn't say its the safer option...just because Cobb maps can be used on "all" cars, doesn't mean they run well on all those cars. I've seen cases (especially back with the 07 STIs which arguably had the worst factory tunes) where the Cobb OTS maps do increase power and boost, but also magnify the unbeknownst pre-existing issues. When you're buying a TP map for an "extra $85", you're paying for the safer map at that point...and for someone to constructively look at, and adjust for, any issues that do exsit. You don't get that with Cobb. You also get much better driveability out of them...its not all about that extra 10whp.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Made me aware of the fact that when the A/C and defrost are on, I get slight feedback knock at lower RPMs. I no longer run my A/C or defrost (if I can help it).
    I'd be willing to bet that extra drive belts clicking on and the compressor triggering are causing false knock to be registered, as opposed to actual knock events.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that extra drive belts clicking on and the compressor triggering are causing false knock to be registered, as opposed to actual knock events.
    Even better. Still makes be feel warm and cozy inside to see 0.0 on the feeback knock

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Even better. Still makes be feel warm and cozy inside to see 0.0 on the feeback knock
    Very true!

When I log, under WOT and load, my car runs perfectly (as much as you can see without a WB), and no knock at all. Yet sometimes when cruising in the 3k rpm range (79mph in an 05 STI), I would get random bouts of FBKC myself. No matter how many revisions, it couldn't get tuned out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast