Purchased 11' WRX with Accessport married.....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Purchased 11' WRX with Accessport married..... within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently purchased a 2011 WRX Hatchback. It had a Cobb intake installed and factory exhaust. I purchased a new ...

Purchased 11' WRX with Accessport married.....

I recently purchased a 2011 WRX Hatchback. It had a Cobb intake installed and factory exhaust. I purchased a new exhaust and took the car to have the exhaust installed and ecu done. The shop (DPS, who have many good reviews) told me there was an accessport installed in the car and never unmarried. I don't have the accessport and the shop says they can't do anything without it. Anyone else had this problem or know what my options are?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you purchase the car from a dealer or private party?

From a dealership in MD

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact Cobb. They could probably unmarry the ECU for you.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Contact Cobb. They could probably unmarry the ECU for you.
    This or take a chance on finding the previous owner and seeing if they might still have the ap.

If they don't cooperate in giving you the previous owners info, then tell them they will be paying for getting the ecu flashed.

Can't the dealer flash over it? Or will it just fail? Especially since it probably hasn't received the update that come out a couple months back with the emmisions or whatever changes.

Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
    Can't the dealer flash over it? Or will it just fail? Especially since it probably hasn't received the update that come out a couple months back with the emmisions or whatever changes.
    That's what I was just thinking.

I called COBB and the support guy said I could send them my ECU (no thanks) or buy a new AP which would have the stock map on it. This sounded fishy to me. I did some searching and COBB's own instructions as well as install video say that the AP downloads the stock map from the car when you plug it in. I don't mind buying the AP which I would do anyway but I want to know it will work first.

Buy a used AP that's unmarried. You can plug it in and flash stage 1 on your car. It'll tell you your car is already married to another AP and ask if you want to flash over it and go ahead. Then when it's done unmarry/uninstall it and sell it to get your money back. Unless like you said you want to have an AP then I don't see what the problem is.

Yep. That's the plan now. The used ones are few and far between but l am looking. COBB has 10% off everything for the rest of this month so one way or the other I will have one soon. Thanks for all the assistance.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm surprised they charged you full price. When my AP was stolen, which is a different but no less ****ty situation; they let me buy one for 300 dollars.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

They didn't offer a discount but I also didn't ask. Maybe I will give it a shot. Didn't order yet.

No dice on the discount. I can get it with free overnight shipping from other places online for the same price they offered. Thought they would be a little more helpful.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Somewhere out there, there is a guy crying because he just bought an AP that was not unmarried...

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KRowe
    I'm surprised they charged you full price. When my AP was stolen, which is a different but no less ****ty situation; they let me buy one for 300 dollars.
    And you had to prove you bought one. Otherwise, everyone would have theirs "stolen".

It's a tough situation, but Cobb owes nothing to the OP other than remedying what the previous owner neglected to do. They offered to unmarry the ECU, which is fair.

The problem with sitting on the ECU in the state it's currently in is that you're unsure what map is installed, and it could be unhealthy. My advice is to take Cobb up on their offer and send the ECU to them. Rent a car for the few days you're without a car. It'll be cheaper than if you're running an improper map and the motor lets go...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.