Difference's and Pro's and Con's
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Difference's and Pro's and Con's within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been looking into getting a Cobb AccessPort for my 02 WRX, i have been using a friends OBD-II ...

I have been looking into getting a Cobb AccessPort for my 02 WRX, i have been using a friends OBD-II reader to constantly delete a CEL that comes up since i replaced my old radiator and thermostat, anyway thats off the subject. I recently saw a Actron CP9185 for half the price of the Accessport. Now i know the OBD-II reader will not do near everything the Accessport will, but my question is, will the accessport do what this device does? would it be a waste of money to by this and then by the accessport also?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    An access port not only reads/clears codes but its a handheld tuning device also.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you have no plans to tune the car, a simple scan tool will suffice.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Re: Difference's and Pro's and Con's

I'd post that code and get that fixed first... just my 2c.

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    I'd post that code and get that fixed first... just my 2c.

Posted from a fone.
    Trudat yo!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Trudat yo!
    I know exactly what the code is, it is PO128 which says to check thermostat/cooling system, the reason this pops up is because i replaced my stock radiator w/ a fully aluminum race radiator and a lower temp thermostat, so in turn my engine doesnt hit the required temp in the required amount of time, which is what was expected with the installation of these parts. This is not the problem which is why i didnt go into it. I do plan on doing some tuning to the car, my whole question was will the tuning tool do everything the OBD-II will or would i benefit from buying both?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruDewed View Post
    my whole question was will the tuning tool do everything the OBD-II will or would i benefit from buying both?
    In that case, the Accessport will do everything you need. It's an OBD-II/CANBUS reader + tuning tool all in one. No sense in getting both devices.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

This is not the problem which is why i didnt go into it.

Just as long as you do understand that it IS a problem and that you should put the correct temp thermostat in your car to prevent further damage to your engine. Some people actually think it's good for their car to run under temp, which is of course is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Just as long as you do understand that it IS a problem and that you should put the correct temp thermostat in your car to prevent further damage to your engine. Some people actually think it's good for their car to run under temp, which is of course is not the case.
    Not the problem thanks. For a turbo charged car that runs over normal temp to begin with an produces more NOx because of those higher temps a lower temp is better for the car, and emissions, since it wont be as low to effect the HC or CO2 readings.
    Last edited by SubaruDewed; 02-15-2013 at 09:33 PM.

zax

Re: Difference's and Pro's and Con's

Not the problem thanks. For a turbo charged car that runs over normal temp to begin with an produces more NOx because of those higher temps a lower temp is better for the car, and emissions, since it wont be as low to effect the HC or CO2 readings.
    That is not at all true. Your car has an operating temperature for a reason. You're familiar with CTE of materials? The motor's tolerances are optimum at the operating temperature. At a lower temperature, the piston rings have not fully expanded to the match the cylinders, and the bearings have not expanded to fill the crank pins. Put it this way: if a 160 degree thermostat has only positives and no cons, why had Subaru not put one into the car from the factory?

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

Wait -- you've measured reduced emissions after removing the thermostat and replacing with a lower temp unit? How much lower were the NOx data? What happened to CO? Same ambient temps? Post the data if you have them, I'm all for reduced emissions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

How high over normal temp was your car running? I would definitely investigate the cause of the overheating rather than just trying to put a band aid on it (lower temp thermostat). Generally, a lower temp thermostat shouldn't have any effect on overheating anyways (unless the cause was a faulty thermostat in the first place). For what it's worth, optimal operating temperature for a WRX/STi is anywhere between 190F and 210F.. if your engine is not reaching those temperatures in a timely manner, then it is undergoing unnecessary damage.

wow this got off topic fast, and mostly my fault with the wording of some of what i posted. My car was never overheating, i cracked my stock radiator and replaced it with an all aluminum radiator and a Grimmspeed Thermostat. That thermostat does not run my car under normal operating temperatures, i know this because my temp gauge will still go up to the "normal" temp spot and not go over. i do believe it does take longer, with the combination of the better radiator and thermostat, to reach that this temp, especially early in the morning on the freeway, but not effected to much during mid day in town. I believe this to be due to how much more air flow im getting while on the freeway and how cold it is outside (30-50) compared to stop and go in town at around 70-90 degrees outside. Anyway, Thank you for the answer i was looking for Rambo.

If u strictly want a code reader buy one off newegg for $20.

I Support ClubWRX
    The AP is defiantly not a true OBDII scanner. Can't count how many times some one has posted about the AP displaying "?????" for the code.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.