Beat to death OTS map question... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Beat to death OTS map question... within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by wrx1234 Your questions were answered in this thread, i guess you didn't learn. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ge-2-tune.html I've learned enough. ...

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    Your questions were answered in this thread, i guess you didn't learn.

Need help with stage 2 tune.
    I've learned enough. All cars take maps differently. Check out my last post here. You'll see my OTS stage 1 tune. All I had was an SF intake. I can't remember exactly what map I was using at that moment, but I'm 100% sure it was an OTS.
    A car is only as good as its driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need a "new" laptop to flash your car, in fact, I'd advise against it. Windows XP just seems less hassle (especially if you're going to be logging a WBO2 with serial->USB interface).

I paid $230 for my laptop four years ago and it still works great for tuning and logging. I spent $27 on better RAM, and last year I replaced the battery with an extended capacity one for an additional $40. It has wifi, MS Office, iTunes, and in a pinch I can use it to edit photos with Photoshop CS3 .. much better than an AP IMHO, and only half the cost.

Lol well I'm not buying somebody's old laptop for $200 when I can buy a brand new one for $350-400. I'm not so concerned about how much the cost difference is between the two. I jut want to be able to easily and readily accomplish my goals. At first I thought the ap was what I needed but now it seems being able to so some self tuning/logging is a better long term solution

it might be 5 or even 10 years from now. But I want to do a rotated kit with a built bottom end eventually.
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 02-02-2013 at 05:11 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea
    Lol well I'm not buying somebody's old laptop for $200 when I can buy a brand new one for $350-400. I'm not so concerned about how much the cost difference is between the two. I jut want to be able to easily and readily accomplish my goals. At first I thought the ap was what I needed but now it seems being able to so some self tuning/logging is a better long term solution
    The real benefit to OpenECU logging is the resolution in the logs. You get significantly better than you would via Cobb AP.

Cobb offers RT reflashing, while OpenECU offers better resolution. To me, the higher resolution overrides the time it takes to reflash with OpenECU. Cobb claims that their software offers access to more tables, but I don't have experience with ATR on the new ECUs, so I don't know how valid that claim is.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

My $230 laptop wasn't used persay. . It was a display model used to showcase Sprint wireless service in a Radio Shack store.

As far as the added time flashing, if you're going to be self tuning then it's totally worth it to permanently hook the test connectors together and just put the wire on a toggle switch. That eliminates about 90% of the hassle when changing maps.

Sorry I didn't mean anything negative by it. But I see the point you were making and it def makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean anything negative by it. But I see the point you were making and it def makes sense

No offense taken.. pretty decent laptops are cheap to come by these days. If I were in the market for a tuning laptop now I would probably pick up something new from ASUS for around $400-$500.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Beat to death OTS map question...

If you plan to get a professional dyno tune down the line, call your tuner. Some will only do APs in order to protect their intellectual property.

Just something to think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Ill definitely keep that in mind Heide264

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.