Stage tune (Cobb, Pro, Ap) testimonies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage tune (Cobb, Pro, Ap) testimonies within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I feel like alot of people get pretty paranoid before they throw on a stage 1 map or a stage ...

Stage tune (Cobb, Pro, Ap) testimonies

I feel like alot of people get pretty paranoid before they throw on a stage 1 map or a stage 2 tune. So I wanted to start a thread to either build peoples confidence with the mods, or at least give them the reality of some of the consequnces too.

So with that said, anybody who has gone Stage 1 or Stage 2, or any other cobb tune, or a pro tune, (it doesnt matter what) and has driven significant milage on the car, what problems have you run in to? Major problems? Minor problems? Anything at all, just to give people a real idea on what they are getting into. I personally just went stage 1 and started thinking about the consequences of the tune so I would love to hear from people who have had the tune on the car for a long time.

Hopefully this can help people

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i feel id be paranoid about going with a tune if i was still under warranty but since im not i didnt hesitate. if the protune is from a shop and a conservative tune and not trying to push your car to the limit then you shouldnt have any problems. im cobb stage 2 AP tune and its alright, id like a protune so the car could get more power and a better tune but it runs fine and isnt having boost isssues or really bad knocks. im not sure how theres many consequences if your buying the correct parts and getting it safely tuned...youll just be spending alot of money but your doing it to make your car how you want it. Resell value can drop, harder to find someone interested in your highly modded car- safely tuned? beat on?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I had my Cobb OTS stage II tune from July 2008 to march 2012 (roughly 40,000+ miles) I have never had any issues whatsoever

As of march 2012 I have had my stage II protune with the accessport. Again, still no issues.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    I had my Cobb OTS stage II tune from July 2008 to march 2012 (roughly 40,000+ miles) I have never had any issues whatsoever

As of march 2012 I have had my stage II protune with the accessport. Again, still no issues.
    When you say "stage II protune with the accessport," do you mean that you had a pro tuner tune your car using an accessport, or that they designed a custom tune for you and you uploaded it to your car using the accessport? Also, did you get on a dyno?

Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Protune is when a professional tuner utilizes your AP to dyno (or road) tune your car.

My car's a 2002 (as was my previous WRX), between them I've run Cobb's Stage 1 on both, Stage 2 on both, their OTS VF34 map on the former car, and a protuned map for my 18G on the current car. Zero issues.

edited to try to be more factual.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 01-15-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    When you say "stage II protune with the accessport," do you mean that you had a pro tuner tune your car using an accessport, or that they designed a custom tune for you and you uploaded it to your car using the accessport? Also, did you get on a dyno?

Thanks!
    I had my tuner road tune my car and create a map via laptop. He then transferred his map to my accessport and flashed the map to my ECU.

I have had the car on a dyno but only with the OTS map. Made 241/272 on a dynojet

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

So far no negative feedback haha, But i know some people have to have blown something up. Im esspecially interested in the 08+

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    I had my tuner road tune my car and create a map via laptop. He then transferred his map to my accessport and flashed the map to my ECU.

I have had the car on a dyno but only with the OTS map. Made 241/272 on a dynojet
    Cool thanks for the info! So sounds like it would be good to have an accessport handy even if one is planning on getting a "pro-tune."
    Good to know!

Been running AP OTS Stage 1 in '09 for two years now. Last summer, tried a Perrin CAI and a custom Stage 1 Map for the CAI. It ran slower with the Perrin CAI, so I ended up back to the stock airbox, K&N filter, and OTS Stage 1. My car has never had to have any repairs for problems whatsoever. I do all my own maintenance, change the oil/filter every 3K, and enjoy 28+MPG during the summer, combo city/highway driving. Don't know of any other car that combines this level of performance with relatively good mpg !!

28+MPG!! Lucky!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I used to get 27mph pretty regularly...until hybrid. Now, not so much.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine went stage 2 5/16/12 with a protune, so far so good. It did flood on me last month when I was up skiing, just had to hold the pedal down to cut off the injectors. It has only done it that one time, the other times at that elevation were fine.
    2010 WRB WRX wagon

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I had an Access ECU stage two map put on my first WRX back in 2003, it ran fine (albeit quite rich at times) for five years and about 70k miles. Never had an issue with the engine.

I Support ClubWRX
    My Protuned map is actually quite rich, (just judging from the looks of my exhaust when I get into it) but then I did ask for a tune that erred toward safety.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    Been running AP OTS Stage 1 in '09 for two years now. Last summer, tried a Perrin CAI and a custom Stage 1 Map for the CAI. It ran slower with the Perrin CAI, so I ended up back to the stock airbox, K&N filter, and OTS Stage 1. My car has never had to have any repairs for problems whatsoever. I do all my own maintenance, change the oil/filter every 3K, and enjoy 28+MPG during the summer, combo city/highway driving. Don't know of any other car that combines this level of performance with relatively good mpg !!
    Ran better with the STOCK Intake? Sounds like what i was saying in a different thread is true that Stock Intakes on today's cars are really good if not better in most cases!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast