Stage tune (Cobb, Pro, Ap) testimonies - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stage tune (Cobb, Pro, Ap) testimonies within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ^^^ i'd be interested in hearing from anyone that went tactrix/opensource and ran into any problems getting tuned/flashing different tunes....

^^^

i'd be interested in hearing from anyone that went tactrix/opensource and ran into any problems getting tuned/flashing different tunes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    ^^^

i'd be interested in hearing from anyone that went tactrix/opensource and ran into any problems getting tuned/flashing different tunes.

My car has been flashed 300+ times using my Open Port 1.3U and ECU Flash.. never had a problem with it.

Re: Stage tune (Cobb, Pro, Ap) testimonies

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    My Protuned map is actually quite rich, (just judging from the looks of my exhaust when I get into it) but then I did ask for a tune that erred toward safety.
    Drowning it in fuel is not exactly safe... Lol

Been Stage 1 with my AP for a Year now, No Problems at all. I have an SPT intake,it was running way to rich With cobbs map, so i got a dyno tune and it's BEAUTIFUL

I Support ClubWRX
    OpenECU here. Had a few professional tunes done, then started DIYing. Now tuning other peoples cars.

I've never had an issue flashing the maps. I've had issues with some of the maps I was given, however.

In regards to base maps, it's imperative that you log the car; not every car will take an OTS well. I've logged Cobb OTS tunes that were perfectly happy / exactly where they should be, and I've logged some that were not. Issues can vary from poor part installs to just not liking the map.

If you're concerned about warranty, you need to leave your car stock. As a general rule, a decent S1 or S2 map will not cause engine failure on a motor that wouldn't have blown up stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman13
    Ran better with the STOCK Intake? Sounds like what i was saying in a different thread is true that Stock Intakes on today's cars are really good if not better in most cases!
    That's an issue with the mapping. I was not impressed with the S2+Intake map my buddy got from Perrin for his '08 WRX.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-15-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    ^^^

I had a Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune for about a week. It was nice, but not the drastic change I expected. I had it stock for a couple days and with the Cobb intake for a couple days. It pulled harder with the intake tune for sure. A lot of people seem to have the opposite experience.

I sold both though and bought a TP tune and a tactrix cable. Still waiting on my cable, but I'll post my results soon after.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I've an '11 and about 1 1/2 years on the AP Stage 1 93 map (about 20,000 miles on Stage 1). Never an issue or a glitch. It seems to me to run better than it did on the stock tune, and considering that the AP maps are known to err towards a cautious tune, I have a feeling it may be better for the motor in the long run anyway. Real potential for issues comes with real HP gains - start looking for 300+ and the risk goes up a notch. Want 400 - it can be done, but don't expect the motor to give you the same service life an unmodded one will give you. The more you up the power, the sooner a 2.5L engine will give in.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex
    I've an '11 and about 1 1/2 years on the AP Stage 1 93 map (about 20,000 miles on Stage 1). Never an issue or a glitch. It seems to me to run better than it did on the stock tune, and considering that the AP maps are known to err towards a cautious tune, I have a feeling it may be better for the motor in the long run anyway.
    I don't recall seeing any logs posted by you. They clean?

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar4l View Post
    But i know some people have to have blown something up. Im esspecially interested in the 08+
    You also are taking for granted that if something blows up it is the tune. There are a lot of variables to consider. Also most people are not even going to realize if the maps are running right unless they datalog the car (which most people don't). They just assume since the car is running everything is fine. Most people wouldn't recognize knock if they heard it.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-17-2013 at 05:02 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

great thread, sorry i missed it.

2012 WRX Wagon.

Cobb SF Intake + Box, Cobb Catted Downpipe.

i had issues with over boosting with the Cobb OTS map, so i got pro tuned by Kaizen. 249hp / 288ft lbs to the wheels.

the car feels great. no issues whatsover. the only headache so far was getting that WQC-39 ECU update and TPMS sensors for my winter wheel / tire package so i've had to unistall (unmarry) my AP twice.

i don't drive around crazy though either. my only other "meaningful" mods are a cobb SS and bushings. everything else is cosmetic or audio.

YMMV. stage 2 holds just fine IMO.

ETA: i'd initially switched to the Stage 2 Economy Map after putting my winter steelies and snow tires on, but my average MPG didn't change at all. so i put my Protune back on. ROFL.

2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I don't recall seeing any logs posted by you. They clean?
    I've only logged twice, and read up about what I should be looking for in the results. There was nothing there that was even close to out of range, so I never bothered to post 'em up.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex
    I've only logged twice, and read up about what I should be looking for in the results. There was nothing there that was even close to out of range, so I never bothered to post 'em up.
    Well, I'd log a bit more frequently, personally, especially with the weather changes. If you want any advice or anything, don't hesitate...

UNYSOC

Running a catless up pipe with a stage 1 opensource pro tune. I capped out at 208 WHP and overall the car kicks pretty hard core, after driving my friend's stage 2 with a Cobb, taking the car to red line and tearing into it, the car didn't really have the pep I thought it would give. My car with a stock intake and catless up pipe kicks and moves enough for me, responsive and smooth but enough to send you into your seat. I'll upload the graph for anyone that is interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.