Stage 2 Tuning and CEL

This is a discussion on Stage 2 Tuning and CEL within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last night after a friend did some pulls in my car, the car popped a CEL P0224, which is ...

Stage 2 Tuning and CEL

So last night after a friend did some pulls in my car, the car popped a CEL P0224, which is "turbo wastegate soleniod A range/performance". After reading and writing down the code, I cleared it and did 2 pulls myself, which did not result in the CEL being popped again. I did some investigation last night and this morning and was reading about the stock BCS not being able to handle boost levels higher than stock. I was advised by Ruh Roh to do some pulls and data log them using my AP and post them here. If I am reading this correctly, I am getting target boost of 15PSI (based off the map notes from Cobb on their MT Stage 2 map), as well as the ECU not detecting any knock. Even though the CEL has not popped again, while doing the pull in 3rd gear, around the 3200 RPM mark there was hesitation, almost as if I hit a fuel cut off, Which I would imagine would be due to the peak boost. But then again I am a novice when it comes to tuning, so I am seeking your help. Any information and guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What year is the car, and what is the full mod list?

Also, it's much easier to view and manipulate log files if you upload them to Google Drive, enable sharing for the spreadsheet files, then post the link here.

Last thing, your throttle position is all over the place. It would be helpful if you could do a third gear pull at WOT from 2 - 6k rpm. Since the boost map is a 3D curve, using RPM (x) and Throttle Position (y) to determine the boost target (z), it's much easier to analyze if you make Throttle Position constant (at 100%). This gives you a cross-section of the boost control map in a 2D view and can be easily graphed in excel.

Once you hit peak target boost (check the map notes for what RPM that is), you will see the boost begin to see the boost taper down as you approach redline. It should not cutoff entirely. It's hard to see this in your log since you only went to 4400 rpm, but if you went clear to redline, it should be quite obvious.

Hopefully that makes some sense, and a third gear WOT datalog will be much more approachable troubleshooting-wise.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Agreed...you need to do a WOT log in 3rd from 2500 rpm at least and continue until 6500rpm (as it tapers towards redline).

Cobb provides low and high wastegate duty cycle maps just to handle this issue.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The car is a 2007 WRX. The mods that have been done to the car is the Cobb SF Intake, Cobb TBE, and I'm using the AP to flash the ECU with OTS maps. I wasn't aware that google had that service, but now I do, thanks.

Sorry about the confusion, like I said, I am new to this aspect of cars, so thanks for the tip. It's currently raining and wet, so I will probably have to do the pull tomorrow. What you described makes perfect sense, I just did realize that the car used two variables to determine the appropriate boost level. Thanks for the feedback.

I Support ClubWRX
    No need to apologize. It's a learning process, and we were all there at one point. I've only recently gotten into the ECU tuning aspect myself.

Also, do check out the WTF Tuning Threads stickied up at the top of this forum. Those have been a great resource as far as what to look for when reviewing your log files.

Let us know if you get that CEL again. You might end up needing the LWG map, but do a full pull and see if you hit target boost with the current map installed. Which specific map are you using at the moment?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock BCS can handle StageII boost targets fine; a lot of people run it.

The issue is that your wastegate is not properly bleeding off exhaust, causing you to hit boost higher than target (enough to trigger the DTC threshold). Is your downpipe the catted/catless version?

As has been brought up, you need consistent WOT logs, 3rd gear 2K-redline. On the next log, please disable the following parameters:
    AF Learning 1
    Dynamic Adv (keep DAM)
    MAF (g/sec)
    MAF Volt

Likely, you'll need to apply the LWG map to fix this.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Rambo: I will check out the stickied thread, thanks for the point out. The map I am using from Cobb is the Manual Transmission 93 Octane with SF Intake version 3.0.

EJ: The downpipe that I am running does have a cat in it. And thanks for telling me which parameters to turn off on the AP, I wasn't sure exactly which ones to use, so I just left it at the default. For the LWG(which I assume stands for Low Waste Gate) map, do I have to contact Cobb to obtain them?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal87
    EJ: The downpipe that I am running does have a cat in it. And thanks for telling me which parameters to turn off on the AP, I wasn't sure exactly which ones to use, so I just left it at the default. For the LWG(which I assume stands for Low Waste Gate) map, do I have to contact Cobb to obtain them?
    The parameters you log is based on the information you want to know. We're concerned with boost, so we're turning off parameters that don't have to do with that or knock. The advantage of having fewer parameters is that you get better resolution. The map should be available on the Cobb website.

UNYSOC

I have finally gotten the chance to upload the datalog, here is a link to the google drive doc:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZi...dURDBaV1k/edit

I appreciate all the information and the help that you guys have provided.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have finally gotten the chance to upload the datalog, here is a link to the google drive doc:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZi...dURDBaV1k/edit

I appreciate all the information and the help that you guys have provided.
    Your DAM is not 1. The car is pulling 20% timing globally based on the advance table. It could be bad gas; try a different station next time.

UNYSOC

By you saying that the DAM is not 1, I assume that you mean to imply that it should be one, correct? I suppose that it could be bad gas, as I don't recall filling up again recently. I will have to try another station in town and wait to see. I am at about a 1/8 of a tank now, should I wait until I am almost empty? Or would it make little difference, assuming that the gas that I get is good? I was always told that you shouldn't let the gas tank get too empty, I know it sounds like a stupid question.

I Support ClubWRX
    By you saying that the DAM is not 1, I assume that you mean to imply that it should be one, correct? I suppose that it could be bad gas, as I don't recall filling up again recently. I will have to try another station in town and wait to see. I am at about a 1/8 of a tank now, should I wait until I am almost empty? Or would it make little difference, assuming that the gas that I get is good? I was always told that you shouldn't let the gas tank get too empty, I know it sounds like a stupid question.
    Yes, DAM should be 1. Fill up whenever you have the chance.

UNYSOC

I still have to verify this by doing another "pull", but after I filled up today I drove around a little bit and started driving rather aggressively around town with the AP plugged in and the DAM was at a solid one. I did a small pull on the highway, getting up to 4K RPMs and I experienced some bucking and what I think is probably afterfire. Could it be that there was a slight problem from not being pro tuned, and the bad gas was just magnifying the issue? I plan on getting the car pro tuned ASAP, but I afraid that is a problem that can't be tuned out of the car and I might have to go back after the problem is resolved.