AccessPort question (yes i read sticky)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on AccessPort question (yes i read sticky) within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I read the sticky and still have my question. I'm going to bite the bullet and get an AP. ...

So I read the sticky and still have my question. I'm going to bite the bullet and get an AP. If I install the map myself for the corresponding stage, why would I need a pro tune. I do understand that the pro tune will further improve gains in HP and all, but isn't the point of the AP to avoid needing to get tuning? Thanks!
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the AP is just an alternate source of tuning, not a way around tuning, it IS a tuning device. if your far away from a tuner or dont want to buy a tactrix and get an e-tune its a good way. youll run a better map with the protune. i chose to go AP because right now im just stage 2 and i plan on doing more so i can always resell my AP towards money for the protune when i have all the parts i want. for a protune and an AP theyre around the same price but the AP is simple to use, youll notice gains, tunes for most stge 2 mods that most people do like intake and turboback and you can even download maps from cobbs site for turbo swaps and other mods. its not a bad tool but a custom fit map like a protune, opensource e-tune is going to be better and safer as long as you have a good tuner.

Okay so just getting an AP will be fine with ZERO issues with the car, assuming I DL the correct maps and no user error? Just don't wanna screw up the car since its so new.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

is your warranty over? my friend still has warranty but he bought an AP hoping that he can reflash the stock map if he needs to take it in. but yes the AP should be fine with the right map for it. i have stage 2 93 map on my car from the AP and its not a perfect map but itll get ya stage 2.. i get fine knocks but no feedback knocks so its fine but it can be better. but yea you can go with it if you dont want a opensource or to go to a tuner. its not a bad product and if the install fails or something happens you can always call cobb. with opensource if your ecu bricks your on your own.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The map on an AP IS a tune.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    i get fine knocks but no feedback knocks so its fine but it can be better
    That's not possible, Mark. FLKC is born from FBKC events. It's likely that your logging resolution is not fine enough to register FBKC or that your ECU is using history data.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    That's not possible, Mark. FLKC is born from FBKC events. It's likely that your logging resolution is not fine enough to register FBKC or that your ECU is using history data.
    hm well good thing im downloading your map tonight.. i get like -1.4 to -1.8 FLKC in a third gear pull but never registers as FBKC..

My warranty is still intact and only has 2000 miles on the car so its very new. I read that reflashing to stock when I shop the vehicle will be fail proof as far a Subaru identifying ECU tampering.

Won't running stock maps with a stage 2 set up screw things up for that trip to the dealership??

My concern is I'll be in over my head. I don't even understand the acronyms or numbers you 2 are talking about.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

id wait for warranty to be up if it were my car. id do suspension and braking mods instead. get new wheels and good summer tires, sways, suspension setup that would fit you then when warranty is up do power mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01
    Okay so just getting an AP will be fine with ZERO issues with the car, assuming I DL the correct maps and no user error? Just don't wanna screw up the car since its so new.
    Cobb AP offers base maps, designed for all cars in all conditions. A ProTune is a map designed for your car and your conditions.

Every car takes a map differently. You'll need to datalog after map installation to verify everything is alright. If you aren't comfortable reviewing datalogs, you can post them up here, so I (and others) can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01
    I read that reflashing to stock when I shop the vehicle will be fail proof as far a Subaru identifying ECU tampering.
    Will those who state this fix your car if your warranty claim is denied? Regardless, what you're discussing is technically fraud.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I got the extended warranty. I'm gonna be waiting 5 years before I get to the end of my warranty.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Cobb AP offers base maps, designed for all cars in all conditions. A ProTune is a map designed for your car and your conditions.

Every car takes a map differently. You'll need to datalog after map installation to verify everything is alright. If you aren't comfortable reviewing datalogs, you can post them up here, and I (and others) can help you.
    Thanks man that's nice of you. Ruh Roh may have just talked me out of the AP. I wasn't gonna do more than the AP and down pipe perhaps. I consistently read people asking "what should I do first to my car?" And 99% of the time an AP is mentioned. Figured people didn't have issues with warranty.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Thanks man that's nice of you. Ruh Roh may have just talked me out of the AP. I wasn't gonna do more than the AP and down pipe perhaps. I consistently read people asking "what should I do first to my car?" And 99% of the time an AP is mentioned. Figured people didn't have issues with warranty.
    If you plan on doing any engine modifications whatsoever, you will need some form of engine management. The Cobb AP is simply a reflash tool (aka programmable engine management). Other forms include piggyback systems such as UTEC and standalone systems such as Hydra.

Facebook me here

Will those who state this fix your car if your warranty claim is denied? Regardless, what you're discussing is technically fraud.[/QUOTE]

Technically what I'd be doing wouldn't be the reasoning for problems arising in the car. If that's fraud then a lot of clubwrx members are guilty of such acts. But nobody breaks the law here riiiiight? Lol.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Just go stage 1, and before going to the dealer for maintenance, uninstall the AP and you should be fine. That's just what I was told to do. I'm on the same situation and still debating getting an AP because I don't wanna lose the warranty

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast