AccessPort question (yes i read sticky) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on AccessPort question (yes i read sticky) within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; xcelerated, how do you like the car now that you've gone stage 1? Are the improvements that good to make ...

xcelerated, how do you like the car now that you've gone stage 1? Are the improvements that good to make the investment worth it?

I have 18k miles on my '12 WRX and plan on going stage 1 when the warranty ends, no other performance mods. I like that it makes the car run more efficiently, as I intend to make the car last a long time.

Does anyone have any horror stories from just going AP Stage 1 with no other mods? What kind of risks to the motor are brought into the equation? I read the sticky, and a chance that the engine bricks was mentioned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAmbush
    Does anyone have any horror stories from just going AP Stage 1 with no other mods? What kind of risks to the motor are brought into the equation? I read the sticky, and a chance that the engine bricks was mentioned.
    If the motor doesn't hate the map (with any base map, that can happen), there shouldn't be any issues you come across. Flash the map, datalog, enjoy...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User xcelerated010026's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAmbush View Post
    xcelerated, how do you like the car now that you've gone stage 1? Are the improvements that good to make the investment worth it?

I have 18k miles on my '12 WRX and plan on going stage 1 when the warranty ends, no other performance mods. I like that it makes the car run more efficiently, as I intend to make the car last a long time.

Definitely noticed a difference in the mid range much smoother and can notice more tq. I bought the ap locally and got it for $535 which thought was a good deal. I plan on doing intake, dp and exhaust pretty soon and try the stage 2 map. Will probably get a custom map soon also cuz it sounds like there's benefits there also. I think the only risk is the ecu could brick but not the engine.

Re: AccessPort question (yes i read sticky)

[/QUOTE]....I plan on doing intake, dp and exhaust pretty soon and try the stage 2 map. Will probably get a custom map soon also cuz it sounds like there's benefits there also. I think the only risk is the ecu could brick but not the engine.[/QUOTE]

you should consider doing some additional research here and elsewhere if you are planning to go beyond 300awhp - problem with ecu bricking because the flashing was interrupted is a minor stuff when there exists the potential for tranny and engine grenading on 08 to current wrx's.... Just my two cents

you should consider doing some additional research here and elsewhere if you are planning to go beyond 300awhp - problem with ecu bricking because the flashing was interrupted is a minor stuff when there exists the potential for tranny and engine grenading on 08 to current wrx's.... Just my two cents[/QUOTE]

True, for what I've seen on here and been told from shops anywhere from 280-300awhp seems pretty safe. I didn't say more then that

Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026 View Post
    you should consider doing some additional research here and elsewhere if you are planning to go beyond 300awhp - problem with ecu bricking because the flashing was interrupted is a minor stuff when there exists the potential for tranny and engine grenading on 08 to current wrx's.... Just my two cents
    True, for what I've seen on here and been told from shops anywhere from 280-300awhp seems pretty safe. I didn't say more then that [/QUOTE]

Cool. I guess you can push 300awhp to 320 awhp with a stage2 custom tune. I'm running the vanilla Cobb s2 ots tune on my 13 and it feels good enough for me.... In fact it makes me worry about my tranny considering how much the tune and the mods have made the whole acceleration dynamics so much more brutal

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    True, for what I've seen on here and been told from shops anywhere from 280-300awhp seems pretty safe. I didn't say more then that
    Cool. I guess you can push 300awhp to 320 awhp with a stage2 custom tune. I'm running the vanilla Cobb s2 ots tune on my 13 and it feels good enough for me.... In fact it makes me worry about my tranny considering how much the tune and the mods have made the whole acceleration dynamics so much more brutal[/QUOTE]

Nice, What is your biggest concerns with the clutch or axles? Do you notice if the car runs much warmer on the stock temp gauge? Not that its a big deal but hows your mileage? haha

Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026 View Post

Nice, What is your biggest concerns with the clutch or axles? Do you notice if the car runs much warmer on the stock temp gauge? Not that its a big deal but hows your mileage? haha

Mileage is a little worse than before but it could be that I am more aggressive on the gas pedal and the ecu is re-learning. Temps the same. My biggest concern is the tranny; 2 motor and lastly the clutch.... It feels good and don't want any more power from this engine/tranny combo.... It's my dd and it feels like this state of tune is pushing the envelope

Stage2 with intake and the sound track of turbo and the bpv are amazing. Ironically the best sounds are generated in part throttle from the vacuum to 10psi
    Last edited by jsBLwrx; 01-15-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Just an update guys...

Went into my dealership and requested to speak to the Subaru service manager. I got to speak to him and 2 of the techs and 1 mechanic. Every single person that I spoke to confirmed the following:

Yes they can see any reflash both date and time. SoA can conclude that based on there being a reflash not done by the dealership, it can void warranty ON THE ECU. It is unlikely that it would void other warranties unless it did show signs of abuse or very apparent that the ECU flashing was the main culprit.

The manager did advice to wait for my warranty to be up before anything, just in case but gave several examples of just how lenient SoA is! A 21 year old guy had blown 2 engines and needed new clutches within 30k. SoA replaced both with obvious abuse (even the manager was saying not to replace it a second time). SoA gave the guy a final warning and replaced the engine/clutch the 2nd time.

He stated that although modding can be frowned upon by SoA, that they typically don't even get involved unless its a serious issue. This dealership in particular, isn't overly mod friendly but understands that it happens and try to work with people.

Worst case scenario, the ECU would cost 500 including installation according to the techs there so that may be a risk I am willing to take.

Thoughts?
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX

AccessPort question (yes i read sticky)

It's your money ultimately.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Just an update guys...

Went into my dealership and requested to speak to the Subaru service manager. I got to speak to him and 2 of the techs and 1 mechanic. Every single person that I spoke to confirmed the following:

Yes they can see any reflash both date and time. SoA can conclude that based on there being a reflash not done by the dealership, it can void warranty ON THE ECU. It is unlikely that it would void other warranties unless it did show signs of abuse or very apparent that the ECU flashing was the main culprit.

The manager did advice to wait for my warranty to be up before anything, just in case but gave several examples of just how lenient SoA is! A 21 year old guy had blown 2 engines and needed new clutches within 30k. SoA replaced both with obvious abuse (even the manager was saying not to replace it a second time). SoA gave the guy a final warning and replaced the engine/clutch the 2nd time.

He stated that although modding can be frowned upon by SoA, that they typically don't even get involved unless its a serious issue. This dealership in particular, isn't overly mod friendly but understands that it happens and try to work with people.

Worst case scenario, the ECU would cost 500 including installation according to the techs there so that may be a risk I am willing to take.

Thoughts?
    Better case scenario...you do a couple more mods and have some fun!! Just remember no "too much" fun don't wanna break anything. I think I'll order my down pipe now
    Best of luck to you!

I Support ClubWRX
    Life is short.. Enjoy it! I do!
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Yeah I am thinking I may proceed in a few more months. Gonna use that time to truly gauge what I would like to change about the car. I did love being stage 1 on my 05 wrx and instantly noticed the difference. I'm not sure I can resist. I have never owned an AP before and hear it is just a great addition to the car.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I wonder what the percentage of maintanence failure is for a 11+ WRX W/O any modifications. I bet it's low, as Subaru's tend to live forever with care. Also warranties typically only cover the most extreme of failures. It'd be nice if the money you paid "Just in case" actually payed for absolutely everything when the situation arises.

Subaru covered my clutch when I burned it up. They have my loyalty. I ended up buying a second Subaru, so I'd say it worked in their favor.

Your results may vary.

Just me, but I don't think people should be worried about warranty issues if they're modding. If you mod and that causes it to break, that's the price you pay to play. No harm, no foul. If you can't afford to fix it, you can't afford to mod. If something else breaks that's unrelated to your mod, it still gets covered under warranty as it should.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast