AccessPort question (yes i read sticky) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on AccessPort question (yes i read sticky) within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by rurso01 Technically what I'd be doing wouldn't be the reasoning for problems arising in the car. If ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01
    Technically what I'd be doing wouldn't be the reasoning for problems arising in the car. If that's fraud then a lot of clubwrx members are guilty of such acts. But nobody breaks the law here riiiiight? Lol.
    There would be no reason for you to feel the need to reflash back to stock unless there's an issue that could be attributed to said reflash (they can't attribute a reflash to you windshield wiper motor dying). By trying to deceive the dealership into doing work you're not entitled to, you're committing fraud.

My car is modified, but never got warranty work done, and I wouldn't have tried to hide that my car was modified.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    and your not too far from Zax if you want to PM him
    Agreed. PM me and I'll send you my number (for payment in nudez of course).

I also have an OP2.0 that we could use to flash your car. I'm sure Matty wouldn't mind taking a look at a few datalogs
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There would be no reason for you to feel the need to reflash back to stock unless there's an issue that could be attributed to said reflash (they can't attribute a reflash to you windshield wiper motor dying). By trying to deceive the dealership into doing work you're not entitled to, you're committing fraud.

My car is modified, but never got warranty work done, and I wouldn't have tried to hide that my car was modified.
    My only reason for ref lashing would be so they wouldn't try to deny a claim not related to the ECU to avoid warranty work for something else. Like say my tranny goes bad, I could see them saying the maps were a possible culprit and denying service.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Agreed. PM me and I'll send you my number (for payment in nudez of course).

I also have an OP2.0 that we could use to flash your car. I'm sure Matty wouldn't mind taking a look at a few datalogs
    Sounds good thanks bro.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

AccessPort question (yes i read sticky)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    I did my research and decided to purchase Cobb AP and upload to stage I 93 octane. I had 10,000 miles on my car at the time. All I can say is I was, I am impressed with how well my car is running.
    By the way.. I do all my work on my cars as well as my motorcycles. I dont trust some snot *** kid working on my machines. just saying..
    That's great. I got a LGT 05 and always worked on it myself. Just replaced brakes, rotors, and wheel bearings. Cheaper and more fun!
    I only got 1000 miles on my WRX and it's about time to go stage 1!! I'm glad to here that it made your car better. I just needed some assurance.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I was also concerned about the warranty. But you know Ive been driving subie's on and off since
    1987 :knocking on wood: and never had a mechanical issue other than normal wear items. As for the AP.. I picked one up here
    on our great forum used for 400. Just make sure if you buy used that its unmarried/uninstalled from
    who ever used it last. You tube has some great vids for using and installing the AP. I am very satisfied with the power
    and smoothness for now
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Instead of fraud I like to think of it as balancing of all the legit warranty work that gets denied.

well, i just got my stage 2 upgrade done on mhy 2013 that is three months old.... it's a risk on such a new car but it is a calculated risk for every owner IMHO to mess with the car or not

so far, i am extremely impressed with the power, but i'm also very conscientious of the motor and the tranny

also, i'm assuming the installation did not go as well as the shop intended: starting from the day 3 to today (day 6) since the work was done, i'm noticing exhaust fume coming through the vents in the car, and it appears to be coming from the top of the car - location where the TBE (CATTED invidia downpipe to turbo) mates to the turbo..... it's got worse as the number of days since the post installation

i'm also hearing through the intake (cobb sf short ram intake with box) definitely audible "air fluttering" sound.... imagine a sound when a filled balloon is emptied minus the high shrill note..... umm may be a disgusting elongated dry fart LOL . this only happens during a high load, low rpm 10+psi threshold (like going 50, in 5th and 3/4 throttle)

Well, point being, i'm scheduled to take the car in again to the same shop to diagnose the issue on Monday to check all the fittings and gaskets on the install.....

If you don't have a private driveway to work on your car, just like me, then consider spending additional personal time investment to TLC the mods until it's all good..... I wish I had access to a driveway of my own to make minute adjustments.... :-\

On a positive note though, I can not go back to the stock tune The stage 2 is just so much better in every other way - Cobb OTS lwg tune with a target boost of 18.5 (quote from Cobb)

good luck with your decision to mod or not, but it is a risk you have to take....
    Last edited by jsBLwrx; 01-10-2013 at 05:21 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    My only reason for ref lashing would be so they wouldn't try to deny a claim not related to the ECU to avoid warranty work for something else. Like say my tranny goes bad, I could see them saying the maps were a possible culprit and denying service.
    That's a perfectly reasonable assessment on their behalf. The additional power put out by the motor caused undue stress on the transmission, leading to premature failure.

If you're concerned with warranty work, keep the car stock; live up to your half of the contract. If you choose to modify the ECU to get more power, Subaru has every right to deny a powertrain claim.

Quote Originally Posted by zax
    I'm sure Matty wouldn't mind taking a look at a few datalogs
    I offered in my first post in the thread.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    That's not possible, Mark. FLKC is born from FBKC events. It's likely that your logging resolution is not fine enough to register FBKC or that your ECU is using history data.
    That's strange because I just got an etune recently and on the first couple of datalogs before we adjusted the tune I was showing fine knock learning but no feedback knock correction. Also, the way Cobb's website explains these datalog parameters it sounds like fine knock learning can in fact occur without feedback knock correction.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's a perfectly reasonable assessment on their behalf. The additional power put out by the motor caused undue stress on the transmission, leading to premature failure.

If you're concerned with warranty work, keep the car stock; live up to your half of the contract. If you choose to modify the ECU to get more power, Subaru has every right to deny a powertrain claim.

I offered in my first post in the thread.
    Yes, you are correct in the instance that the IAM need not further increment and knock event registers over a specified RPM/load range as per the KC tables. I apologize for the confusion, as what I meant to say is it's unlikely that there will be no recorded FBKC in that range (at any other time) when FBKC is not disabled, but it is is possible for the ECU to utilize history data.

RomRaider • View topic - Subaru's knock control strategy explained

That should be a sufficient read.
    Last edited by zax; 01-10-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by PalisadesWBL View Post
    Instead of fraud I like to think of it as balancing of all the legit warranty work that gets denied.
    whatever makes you sleep at night :P

Technically what I'd be doing wouldn't be the reasoning for problems arising in the car. If that's fraud then a lot of clubwrx members are guilty of such acts. But nobody breaks the law here riiiiight? Lol.
    It is entirely legal for those of us that own the vehicle (i.e. not a lease) to re-program the ECU all day long. Nothing illegal about that. However, Subaru is known to deny warranty claim when things are modified. And that in turn is also legal ( even if we don't like it). Reflashing to original setup and saying it was never changed probably constitutes cheating. A stage 2 would entail intake, exhaust, probably turbo, then you're way past reflashing to stock, and quite obvious. So a stage1 tune should be fine and might not even upset the stealership since it's not openly visible. In that case I'd guess it would depend on what exactly went belly-up.
    I would say Ruh Roh is right on: leave the power mods for later, maybe something like 10KMls, when you know it's good in that department. I'm not sure the 5yr warranty is worth it, here you run into the limitations of that. Anyways, upgrading the suspension and brakes will make it a way more fun car. It's very powerful right out-of-the-box anyways, and with a little help it gets to be real fun to drive. So what if a stage2 can out-accelerate you. You're already way past the normal Hotokias...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo
    A stage 2 would entail intake, exhaust, probably turbo, then you're way past reflashing to stock, and quite obvious.
    StageII is a turboback exhaust and reflash.

UNYSOC

Registered User xcelerated010026's Avatar
    I got the extended warranty. I'm gonna be waiting 5 years before I get to the end of my warranty.
    Same here, Just bought my AP the other day and went stage 1 with 1600 miles on the car (its not my DD). If i where to wait until after warranty the cars 5 years old and I'll probably be ready for a new ride.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast