AccessPort question (yes i read sticky) - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on AccessPort question (yes i read sticky) within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I will be waiting until my warranty is up (or close to up) to modify the engine/ecu. I don't have ...

I will be waiting until my warranty is up (or close to up) to modify the engine/ecu. I don't have a garage to use and I don't want to pay someone else to fix the car if something goes wrong.

The reason people recommend the AP and a downpipe as one of the first mods is because the stock tune is not great for the car and the AP + DP is a relatively safe level of engine modification. Also, moar powa! Most people who use the Cobb AP maps don't end up having any trouble with the car so they don't end up having to go to the dealer for engine work. Most dealers would probably deny you warranty work on your engine if you messed with it, but this depends on the dealer and service department. Some are mod friendly and know what is relatively safe. Others will take any work they can and charge Subaru of America for it without hesitation. This isn't too common though so ask your local buddies which dealership around you is best.

The only way to guarantee you don't screw up the car, is to not screw with the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by karim View Post
    Just go stage 1, and before going to the dealer for maintenance, uninstall the AP and you should be fine. That's just what I was told to do. I'm on the same situation and still debating getting an AP because I don't wanna lose the warranty
    Yeah I mean, what I read basically said that Cobb has the same technology that Subaru uses and there's no way to see ECU map changes. Maybe that means I don't have to reflash, maybe it means I do. I couldn't decipher that much. I also read that its not necessary to reflash the stock maps for a simple oil change and rotation as they don't check during those routine maintenances.

Who knows!
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I will be waiting until my warranty is up (or close to up) to modify the engine/ecu. I don't have a garage to use and I don't want to pay someone else to fix the car if something goes wrong.

The reason people recommend the AP and a downpipe as one of the first mods is because the stock tune is not great for the car and the AP + DP is a relatively safe level of engine modification. Also, moar powa! Most people who use the Cobb AP maps don't end up having any trouble with the car so they don't end up having to go to the dealer for engine work. Most dealers would probably deny you warranty work on your engine if you messed with it, but this depends on the dealer and service department. Some are mod friendly and know what is relatively safe. Others will take any work they can and charge Subaru of America for it without hesitation. This isn't too common though so ask your local buddies which dealership around you is best.

The only way to guarantee you don't screw up the car, is to not screw with the car.
    I hear you on that... just enjoy doing things myself. I don't have the experience to mess with changing brakes and doing suspension mods. I can do under the hood stuff not requiring a lift.

I'm debating doing Kart boy front and rear end links and bushings. I heard that you can't tell the difference if they are put on a new car because the links and bushings are tight and solid on a new car and they don't get loose and sloppy until it gets decent miles put on it.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Yeah I mean, what I read basically said that Cobb has the same technology that Subaru uses and there's no way to see ECU map changes. Maybe that means I don't have to reflash, maybe it means I do. I couldn't decipher that much. I also read that its not necessary to reflash the stock maps for a simple oil change and rotation as they don't check during those routine maintenances.

Who knows!
    yea i wouldnt change the map for an oil change or tire rotation. they shouldnt be hooking up anything to the OBD II port for that. im not sure about service regualtions to mess with warranty but id like doing all that myself. if i get a new car and have to take it in for oil changes one day or else it voids/whatever tech term the warranty thatll make me really unhappy. i like the experience and knowing it was done right.even something as simple as a tire rotation. id rather do it my self. i just got my car back from a dealer yesterday for a recall and checked it out afterwards and a major bolt was barely threaded!! i could tell my lugs werent torqued because a few were loose and some tight!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    yea i wouldnt change the map for an oil change or tire rotation. they shouldnt be hooking up anything to the OBD II port for that. im not sure about service regualtions to mess with warranty but id like doing all that myself. if i get a new car and have to take it in for oil changes one day or else it voids/whatever tech term the warranty thatll make me really unhappy. i like the experience and knowing it was done right.even something as simple as a tire rotation. id rather do it my self. i just got my car back from a dealer yesterday for a recall and checked it out afterwards and a major bolt was barely threaded!! i could tell my lugs werent torqued because a few were loose and some tight!
    Yeah I've had some horro stories as well with dealerships. Found an orange peel in my shift boot once, entire back seat looked like it was covered in flour I guess from sanding my door and not covering up the car. Every time regardless of what dealership I take a car to, I always leave with scratches either interior or exterior, that wasn't there before. Can't bitch about it but it does suck.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I hear you on that... just enjoy doing things myself. I don't have the experience to mess with changing brakes and doing suspension mods. I can do under the hood stuff not requiring a lift.

I'm debating doing Kart boy front and rear end links and bushings. I heard that you can't tell the difference if they are put on a new car because the links and bushings are tight and solid on a new car and they don't get loose and sloppy until it gets decent miles put on it.
    read a ton of writeups. i woudlnt call myself "mechanically inclined" i just know how to push/pull and turn a wrench. brakes and suspension arent rocket science. anyone can change oil, trans, diff fluid, brakes, suspension- its really pretty straight forward but if your worried about messing it up have someone with experience there to help you. its fun too having an afternoon with friends cursing at your car for stuck bolts and having a beer or 5. my major problem with working on cars is stuck bolts that need to be heated up to come off and not having air tools, so i go to my dads garage when im doing more involved work that i know bolts will be rusty.

Yeah I've had some horro stories as well with dealerships. Found an orange peel in my shift boot once, entire back seat looked like it was covered in flour I guess from sanding my door and not covering up the car. Every time regardless of what dealership I take a car to, I always leave with scratches either interior or exterior, that wasn't there before. Can't bitch about it but it does suck.
    wow an orange peel in shift boot thats a new one!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    The reason people recommend the AP and a downpipe as one of the first mods is because the stock tune is not great for the car
    I'm not sure I agree with this.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Suspension modifying is not scary on these cars. I'm an engine guy too, but I have had a lot of fun learning about the different setups, the wrx weaknesses, and installing new parts. There's a lot of good bushings you can put in the car pretty easily without much experience or fancy tools (torque wrench is important though), as long as you're ok with the car making a little bit more noise There are tons of good installation instructions on the forums and youtube. Plus you don't need to worry too much about your engine warranty with this stuff!

The reason people put endlinks on these cars is either because the old ones are worn out or because they are upgrading the swaybars to beefier ones for better handling. The bigger bars will put more stress on the wimpy stock endlinks and you don't want them to break!

The stock bushings are typically made of rubber, so if you replace them with rubber ones you won't notice a difference. If you replace them with polyurethane ones they will make a little more noise but things will be tighter and feel better (shifting, using the clutch, putting down power, etc). Turn in Concepts has a lot of good bushings and good forum posts for instructions. Whiteline makes really good bushings too, and there's plenty of others.

oops double post!

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this.
    I didn't say it was BAD for the car (and I don't think it is). Just not great, or as good as it could be imo. At least not for my intended uses (driving fast/hard). Plenty of people can run the stock tune for the life of the car with no modifications and I'm sure will get many loving miles out of the vehicle. That is what it was designed for after all.
    Last edited by Axex; 01-10-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: clarification

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by karim View Post
    Just go stage 1, and before going to the dealer for maintenance, uninstall the AP and you should be fine. That's just what I was told to do. I'm on the same situation and still debating getting an AP because I don't wanna lose the warranty
    I did my research and decided to purchase Cobb AP and upload to stage I 93 octane. I had 10,000 miles on my car at the time. All I can say is I was, I am impressed with how well my car is running.
    By the way.. I do all my work on my cars as well as my motorcycles. I dont trust some snot *** kid working on my machines. just saying..
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    I did my research and decided to purchase Cobb AP and upload to stage I 93 octane. I had 10,000 miles on my car at the time. All I can say is I was, I am impressed with how well my car is running.
    By the way.. I do all my work on my cars as well as my motorcycles. I dont trust some snot *** kid working on my machines. just saying..
    If I could do my own work, I would. I don't have a good jack, I don't have stands, ramps or any of those things so it makes my abilities even more limited. Anyone live in the Hagerstown/Frederick area that can help with these kind of installs?!
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

If I could do my own work, I would. I don't have a good jack, I don't have stands, ramps or any of those things so it makes my abilities even more limited. Anyone live in the Hagerstown/Frederick area that can help with these kind of installs?!
    you can get jack stands and a jack realllly cheap.. i use ramps for when i doil my oil just because its easier

and your not too far from Zax if you want to PM him

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast