OP2 Stand Alone logging woes. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on OP2 Stand Alone logging woes. within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Rambo Wow, I vote sticky! Thank you for making that, there are a couple other utilities like ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Wow, I vote sticky! Thank you for making that, there are a couple other utilities like this out there, but most are woefully out of date or broken. +Rep!
    Yeah. I saw Freakin's tool and tried to get it to work... I managed to do it, but it was obviously written for an old (2009 era) version of RomRaider. There is also the other website (don't remember the URL) that was based off of Freakin's tool, but both options required you to check which parameters you wanted to log standalone. We already DO that when we log in RomRaider... why reproduce the effort and still not be able to save it?

I wanted to be able to make up logs in RomRaider first and see if those parameters really meant anything to me. If they turned out to be useful, I wanted to take that saved profile and make it so I didn't have to carry a laptop around with me everywhere I go.

Thanks for the kind words. I published the tool a couple days before Christmas and it's started picking up some traction since Tactrix released the official standalone logging firmware a couple days later (good timing ).

I've got some time in the evenings that my wife loves me spending behind my computer so I'm open to feature requests!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is a good tool, I had a couple issues with getting it to work and after much frustration I just assumed it was beyond me. However, I did use it as a good template to set up what the file should look like so when I scrapped it and started over from scratch with one parameter at a time I felt reasonably confident in my syntax.

After many baby steps I figured out where the issue was, not why, just where. My error seemed to come from the FLKC and FBKC parameters. Something about those 2 caused the whole thing to come to a halt. Additionally, asking for the calculated IDC caused the defogger trigger to not work. /shrug

Just a couple more parameters to try and I should be finished with this project.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rummie View Post
    It is a good tool, I had a couple issues with getting it to work and after much frustration I just assumed it was beyond me. However, I did use it as a good template to set up what the file should look like so when I scrapped it and started over from scratch with one parameter at a time I felt reasonably confident in my syntax.

After many baby steps I figured out where the issue was, not why, just where. My error seemed to come from the FLKC and FBKC parameters. Something about those 2 caused the whole thing to come to a halt. Additionally, asking for the calculated IDC caused the defogger trigger to not work. /shrug

Just a couple more parameters to try and I should be finished with this project.
    I'm sorry you had issues with my tool. FLKC and FBKC are extended parameters which are stored in different places for every car. It is critical to have the correct ECU ID selected so it knows what address to use. Also, it looks like you may have figured this out already, but no spaces are allowed anywhere ( except in comments - ; ). That is why I replaced them all with _.

If you run into any further issues, post up the contents of your logcfg.out and I will try to point you in the right direction.

I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW, I bought Engine Management: Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish and Forced Induction Performance Tuning A Practical Guide to Supercharging and Turbocharging by A. Graham Bell from that list. I'd recommed both, particularly the A. Graham Bell one. The writing style is much more verbose than the Banish book, but I found the information the most useful.
    I'm surprised you liked the Graham Bell one. That's a good book - it covers a huuuuge amount of information, but it is about as exciting as watching paint dry. It was a tough one for me to get through, especially the engine building chapters. All in all, great info though once you make it through.

It's odd having the (credible) info "served" to you on a platter in a clear and comprehensive manner. It's a nice change from digging through forums.

Also good info about the SD card. I am sure to burn this one up with all my baby steps.

I will probably keep updating this mainly for a record in case others are having issues and are as stubborn as I am (why wont you work dammit!?!??!?!). I think some of the issues I was having initially is my reading comprehension sucks ass compared to my trial and error learning. Many of the threads out there start from the assumption the reader has a comprehensive understanding of the vernacular as well as subject matter. I put a couple of those books mentioned in the WTFtuning thread on my wishlist for some light reading while I save for sway bars and endlinks.
    I doubt you'll burn up the SD card from that. Normally flash memory burns up from read/write cycles. I record a large portion of my driving (I'll leave it on when RPM > 0 a lot of times to look for any detonation) and during that entire time, it is reading/writing at 40 lines a second. Just know if the logs start to end early or if you start seeing wingdings... it's done =P.

One thing I like about the books on that list is that they are all pretty cheap - way cheaper than I expected coming out of college with those text books.

A lot of this stuff is just trial and error, and experience. By the time I would have (attempted) to explain it all, it would have been easier to mess with it yourself in my opinion. It's also a good learning experience to see how the ECU works. All that cable is doing is reading out a RAM address that you are specifying. Gives you a bit of an idea what is going on behind all those fancy definition files.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjm View Post
    I had some major issues with copying the addresses over correctly and getting RPN setup right for scaling... so I built a tool that did it for me. Just go here, upload your RomRaider Logger Profile XML (your saved parameters), pick your options and call it a day!

OpenPort LogCfg Generator

Bigger write up: RomRaider • View topic - Tactrix Standalone Logging Config Tool
    Cool! I gave up finding a tool. The 2011 STi definitions weren't/aren't "stable" definitions, so I just went about it the long way. Luckily, I had the blessing of finding RPN stuff earlier in college. RPN calculators are awesome for stuff like plugging in values during circuit analysis. Once you are used to the notation, it makes a lot of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

That was a glitch in my trouble shooting, my logcfg.out was always empty. Still a good tool and should be stickied. I was just getting started so some (if not all) of this was just over my head. Now that I have a better hands on understanding of what is going on I re ran your tool (after adjusting my RR profile) and it worked just fine. I'm still going to use my own file, primarily because I made it, piece by piece. I prefer the furniture I have made to the furniture I have bought as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    That was a glitch in my trouble shooting, my logcfg.out was always empty. Still a good tool and should be stickied. I was just getting started so some (if not all) of this was just over my head. Now that I have a better hands on understanding of what is going on I re ran your tool (after adjusting my RR profile) and it worked just fine. I'm still going to use my own file, primarily because I made it, piece by piece. I prefer the furniture I have made to the furniture I have bought as well.
    Also, once you get a handle of it, you can use sampgroups/priorities to keep the important parameters sampling as fast as possible... while rotating slower parameters (IAT, ambient pressure, etc) in and out to save some resolution for others.

The new firmware update had some great features in - looking forward to seeing actual time stamped logs!
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I think once I get through some suggested reading I will have a better idea as to what to log other than just taking recommendations (albeit well reasoned recommendations) and seeing what I am actually doing to my car (or the science behind what my car is doing to me). As it stands right now I have numbers... a whole lot of numbers. Without a translator, they are pretty much just a pile of numbers. My goal is to understand those numbers and hopefully be able to tune for my upgrades since pro tunes are expensive (stay at home dad on a budget) and not available in central oklahoma (dallas I believe is closest well reputed tuner)... Long term goals but all I have is time.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think once I get through some suggested reading I will have a better idea as to what to log other than just taking recommendations (albeit well reasoned recommendations) and seeing what I am actually doing to my car (or the science behind what my car is doing to me). As it stands right now I have numbers... a whole lot of numbers. Without a translator, they are pretty much just a pile of numbers. My goal is to understand those numbers and hopefully be able to tune for my upgrades since pro tunes are expensive (stay at home dad on a budget) and not available in central oklahoma (dallas I believe is closest well reputed tuner)... Long term goals but all I have is time.
    I didn't know jack squat about anything on four wheels (other than how to install a stereo and how to inflate tires) about 3 years ago. There are several people on this forum that are in a similar boat though, or that have tuned their own cars. It's not as far fetched as you think, provided you take your time and read up =).

It's a constant learning process though, if you didn't realize that yet. A lot of it will be upfront reading & learning, some upfront balls to actually try certain things, and then a constant learning based off of experience.

Good luck!
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    A lot of it will be upfront reading & learning, some upfront balls to actually try certain things
    +1

I was terrified when taking my first datalog, but you learn quickly.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Balls are not a problem, the little one is shy but the other two are big enough to get me into all kinds of trouble.

I Support ClubWRX
    +1

I was terrified when taking my first datalog, but you learn quickly.
    Balls are not a problem, the little one is shy but the other two are big enough to get me into all kinds of trouble.

Yeah, something about a $XX,XXX paperweight is just a bit intimidating
    2011 STi Build Log

Well after a couple days of trial and error adding one param after another, I think I figured out for the most part how to add things I want to see but I did have a couple things I just could not sort out.

FBKC, Target Boost, anything in the 0xFF blocks actually. Any insight as to why adding those throws my whole logs into chaos? The numbers are 10,700 rpm 104mph etc. I double and triple checked my ECUID.

One additional glitch I had was in scaling for Boost Actual, I was registering around 1400 psi at idle and 25% throttle spiking over 3400 psi... this seems a tiny bit off. According to definitions scaling is (x*37)/255. Converted it to rpn easily enough but the output seems to need a different formula than what I have.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well after a couple days of trial and error adding one param after another, I think I figured out for the most part how to add things I want to see but I did have a couple things I just could not sort out.

FBKC, Target Boost, anything in the 0xFF blocks actually. Any insight as to why adding those throws my whole logs into chaos? The numbers are 10,700 rpm 104mph etc. I double and triple checked my ECUID.

One additional glitch I had was in scaling for Boost Actual, I was registering around 1400 psi at idle and 25% throttle spiking over 3400 psi... this seems a tiny bit off. According to definitions scaling is (x*37)/255. Converted it to rpn easily enough but the output seems to need a different formula than what I have.
    Those FF parameters should be marked as floating (isfloat=1). They are your RAM parameters, not just the normal OBDII ones. I'm not quite sure of the difference between them, however. They are 32bit parameters as opposed to your normal 8 bit. Also, you need to apply that CANbus patch in EcuFlash to your tune if you want to log those using canbus (much faster) as opposed to k-line.

I will look at my config file when I have it handy. I'm not sure off the top of my head.
    2011 STi Build Log

OK that explains it. It makes sense now. I will fiddle with it again once the little one retires for the evening.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Those FF parameters should be marked as floating (isfloat=1). They are your RAM parameters, not just the normal OBDII ones. I'm not quite sure of the difference between them, however. They are 32bit parameters as opposed to your normal 8 bit. Also, you need to apply that CANbus patch in EcuFlash to your tune if you want to log those using canbus (much faster) as opposed to k-line.

I will look at my config file when I have it handy. I'm not sure off the top of my head.
    Yeah, I couldn't log RAM parameters with CAN until I applied the patch that was in EcuFlash 1.43... Coincidentally, that patch is not showing up for me in 1.44 which means you may be SOL and stuck with K-Line until they release an update.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast