boost? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on boost? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What is your AFR? Super high is, as MainFrame says, lean. Not rich. Being lean(Leanest safe AFR is 11.5 for ...

What is your AFR? Super high is, as MainFrame says, lean. Not rich. Being lean(Leanest safe AFR is 11.5 for a tuned car) can melt pistons and royally eff up engines.

If you do have all the supporting mods, you will need another PROTUNE. Might want to do that sooner rather than later before that nice built block bites the dust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It would probably be a good idea to get it retuned.. and ditch the BOV while you're at it. I wouldn't expect a rebuilt shortblock to really throw the tune off that much, but if the compression ratio was changed then you definitely need a new tune.

AFR at idle and cruising should be around 14.7, and should become richer with increased load. At WOT it should be around 11.2.. 11.5 can be targeted, but I wouldn't really consider that safe. I'd rather be at 10.9 than 11.5 WOT.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 12-25-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Thx you guys, ill just spend the money for the new tune. I appreciate the input. Would it be more beneficial to go back to stock td04 turbo and injectors with the access port?

Depends on what you mean by beneficial.. exactly what turbo do you have right now, and how much power are you making?

The td04 is much smaller than a GT30r.. so it will spool much earlier, which is beneficial.. but it is also not capable of making near as much power, when isn't beneficial in that sense.

Sure, if you go stage 2. Stock turbo+downpipe.
    But you've already did internals... why not just keep your current setup, sell the AP and go OpenSource(read up).

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Sure, if you go stage 2. Stock turbo+downpipe.
    But you've already did internals... why not just keep your current setup, sell the AP and go OpenSource(read up).

If Cobb is doing the tuning he will need to keep the AP.. otherwise I would sell it to pay for the tune.

I have the gt30r with injectors, I'm spiking at 19 lbs holding 17. I drive to and from Utah to California, as well as run it at the track. I haven't had it on the dyno but the guy I boought it from said it was getting 375 hp. Which it doesn't feel like, it feels more around 300. So Idk. I want to be able to get decent gas mileage on the trips but also be able to get the power at the track.

So you have a rotated turbo kit? Garrett does not make any turbos that have direct fitment for Subaru. Also, there are several different variations of the standard GT30r.. 30r only tells me the size of the turbine wheel and that it's a ballbearing CHRA, GT is the older compressor wheel design. Whether it's a 3071 or 3076 makes a pretty significant difference in power output. If it's stock location then it's not a standard Garrett 30r at all.. it may be a Blouch, FP, or ATP turbo (hopefully.. there are many other cheap Chinese knock off turbos that are complete junk).

Depending on the tuner's approach, a real 30r should be able to run a good deal more boost pressure than that. But that's something that should be adjusted in the tune.

Regardless, you never mentioned that the car had an aftermarket boost controller. Personally, I wouldn't run a 30r on the stock EBCS. I would either run a 3-port EBCS, or hybrid boost control. Either way, boost targets and WGDC will need to be set in the ECU.. with hybrid control you will use a MBC to set full boost. But still with that, it will need to be tuned to the boost level, then the boost should not be adjusted manually without also adjusting the tune.

Ok. I think it's stock placement. And I agree with you on the power which is why I'm asking the question. Lol. Would stock turbo and pump, injectors with access port be a better choice?

That depends entirely on what you consider better.. and also depends on what turbo you have.

Stock turbo will make much less power, the car will be slower. But less power generally means longer life. I would expect the car to be more reliable with the stock turbo. Also, the stock turbo will spool much earlier than a 30r, which some would consider better for daily driving. If by better you mean faster, then no.. any decent 30r should make considerably more power than a td04. Better can mean a lot of different things..

K thank you for the info!

so did you ever figure out what turbo you had? or what tune you have? or where your getting your protune? this thread has me curious as to what the heck is going on with the op's car! lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.