Subaru WRX Forum banner

Target Boost and Gear Determination Thresholds

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Alexmartynyuk 
#1 ·
First off if you haven't read my other post i'm working on a 2002 WRX engine and ECU that's been put into a '59 Porsche Replica NOW another couple of questions

1: Since i didn't see it in the ROM i downloaded off the ECU, but heard Subarus limit boost in 1st and 2nd gears isa that true for the 2002 WRX? (ECU is set up as a Manual trans ecu right now too)

2: Gear Determination Threshold, the engine is now bolted to a 4 speed tranmission, how can one alter this section for for a four speed?

thank you once again for any help
Kevin

#2 ·
I'm not so sure about the finer details of the older ECUs. The newer drive by wire cars do 'limit boost' per gear, but it is done via target boost reduction and wastegate limitations by capping requested torque.

I'd recommend checking out the RomRaider forum if you haven't yet. They'll be a bit more versed in stuff like that. We do have a few members here that may have some advice for you though.

Cool project =)

#4 ·
I am register on the romraider site but I honestly don't even have a clue as to where to post this type of question. Also I couldn't get their software to work either. Sadly I don't have the time to play with it :(

Also it's nice it doesn't limit boost per gear. Now I guess the gear determination part isn't that necessary either :)

Thank you all again.

#5 ·
the 2002 ecu doesn't have that function, I don't know why someone would want to limit boost in first and second on a wrx because we don't have traction issues. Those tables are meant to help have a flat boost peak in all gears but you could alter it to limit boost but not on an 02 ecu. I'm assuming you are trying to limit boost because of traction issues since this is not in a wrx?

#6 ·
I don't know why someone would want to limit boost in first and second on a wrx because we don't have traction issues.

Because we don't have traction issues, so you see people breaking transmissions left and right?

Even though the ROM doesn't have per gear boost thresholds (or whatever you want to call it), boost is still load dependent, so you will still see lower boost in lower gears because they don't load up the engine as much.

#9 ·
if you are looking to get the same boost in all gears there is another way to do it with an 02 ecu, I use a hybrid boost control method, I use a grimmpseed 3 port ebcs and a hallman pro rx mbc in parallel. All I can say is that I get 21psi in ALL gears, if that is what you are trying to achieve then pm me and ill tell you more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.