2002 WRX de-fault coding
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX de-fault coding within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got a project on the go using a 2002 WRX Motor in a '59 Porsche 356 Repica. Engine is like ...

2002 WRX de-fault coding

Got a project on the go using a 2002 WRX Motor in a '59 Porsche 356 Repica.
    Engine is like 95% stock i guess? (Stock turbo inlet, Custom MAF housing (OE ID thou), Custom 2.5" exhaust of maybe 6' in length using a Cat and Straight through muffler)
    Yes a Dyno tune would nice thing, but funds don't allow the $1000 to do it. But the thing that's annoying is the trouble codes, Since the Evap system isn't being used, those codes are coming up so i'm wondering what truly is needed to remove these codes from a 2002 WRX, tactrix cable and software? I can find days of information on tuning but hardly anything on this part.

Also not WRX related, but subaru, would the above setup to remove codes work on other year/model Subaru's (Say 2003 Legacy NA 2.5, and 1999 Forester NA 2.5 which are coming up next) The Boss man would like the idea of spending say $180 for the Tactric Cable if we can get rid of these codes, like even P1507 bought on by the lack of a neutral switch

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

2002 WRX de-fault coding

That sounds like a very fun project!

A Tactrix cable will certainly meet your needs. With ECUflash you can disable the codes. Furthermore the OpenPort2.0 will work with a multitude of Subarus. The full list of compatible ECU Definitions is available from Tactrix.

Oh, also be sure to upload pics when complete
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    The Tactrix will work fine on the WRX but not the other two vehicles.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    To clarify Donkey's statement:

This is a common question that does not always have a simple answer. There are really several levels of EcuFlash "working" with a particular car, i.e.

Can EcuFlash read and reflash a ROM for this car?
    Do XML definitions exist for this car's ROM so that I can edit various maps and tables from within EcuFlash?
    Is EcuFlash able to log from or provide other supporting tuning functions for this car?
    In general, EcuFlash can reflash a much larger number of cars than there may exist XML definitions for. This means that you may be able to read and write from some cars, but not edit anything until a XML definition is made by us or someone in the larger OpenECU community. Often times the current release of EcuFlash does not have the most current XML definitions in existence, and you may need to visit various forums to find what you are looking for. An upcoming version of EcuFlash will allow you to automatically submit any new ROMs you find to Tactrix so that we can more quickly create XML definitions for these.

Here is an incomplete list of the known cars that EcuFlash can reflash currently:

Mitsubishi
    Airtrek Turbo
    Brilliance
    Eclipse GS/GT/GSX
    EVO 5/6/7/8/9/10
    Galant
    Lancer
    Magna
    Mirage
    Montero Sport
    Outlander
    Pajero Sport
    ... basically any Mitsubishi ECU based on a H8, SH-2, or M32r processor
    Subaru
    Baja
    Exiga
    Forester NA(05+)/turbo/XT
    Impreza NA(05+)/WRX/STI
    Legacy NA(05+)/GT
    Liberty NA(05+)/GT
    Outback NA(05+)/XT
    Tribeca
    ... basically any Subaru ECU based on a HC16, or SH-2 processor
    (taken from Tactrix's website) The OpenPort2.0 may be able to read the OBDII protocol from the other cars, but without definitions, the device would be useless. There may be someone who has written the XML definition for the older Subarus, however. I would recommend contacting Tactrix for more details.

Facebook me here

In for pics of this project! Looks awesome!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Interesting project! Please keep us posted!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The Tactrix will work fine on the WRX but not the other two vehicles.
    they say you can't "tune" a 2003 Legacy, but don't say you can't disable Fault codes..

Going by the guy i got a reply from at Tactrix: "You may use our products (EcuFlash+Openport 2.0) to disable individual or all codes for supported vehicles. EcuFlash does NOT currently support the older MY99/00 JECS processor ECU's. It only supports the DENSO range of ECU's which have been used since 2001. " Along with "*Essentially any Subaru ECU based on a HC16, or SH-2 processor. " at the end.

Now how does one determine which ECU is a Denso, HC16 or SH-2 processor based?

On the car itself, i'll have to see about getting pictures of it. It's nearly done too, just trying to work out the ECU bugs (codes) sad thing is, putting a 1995 Porsche 993 3.6L in was easier and no real ECU issues

a 2002 Legacy 2.5L ? top side
    P1100071 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    a 1994 2.2L underside
    P1100157 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    the WRX to be added after photos

Quote Originally Posted by 91 XR7 View Post
    they say you can't "tune" a 2003 Legacy, but don't say you can't disable Fault codes..
    The codes are disabled in the rom, so if you can't read or flash then you can't disable them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
    The codes are disabled in the rom, so if you can't read or flash then you can't disable them.
    Well i guess it's more a question of what ECU it has, is it a Denso or Jec ECU?
    Heh hopefully it will work thou

I Support ClubWRX
    Well i guess it's more a question of what ECU it has, is it a Denso or Jec ECU?
    Heh hopefully it will work thou
    Then it is a question of making the definition for it. See above the list of ROMs currently supported. Ecuflash is very powerfull and can be used on a ton of vehicles,once you have a definition for said vehicle. The definition comes from reverse engineering the code.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well from looking it up on line, the ECU is a JEC based one, so it's a no-go to begin with

I think this is going to be a fun little adventure, with a lot of reading and trying to understand how everything works. I'm still amazed that usually the only real problems i have when swapping in a Subaru engine is a few codes (which usually result in the car going into Limp mode ) but typically it's the P1507 code that comes up, expect for the WRX motor which is always a P0457

Thank you all

I also find it sad that the OpenECU.org forum will not accept my Email address so i can't register to post on there. it's a valid email address too

zax
    Well from looking it up on line, the ECU is a JEC based one, so it's a no-go to begin with

I think this is going to be a fun little adventure, with a lot of reading and trying to understand how everything works. I'm still amazed that usually the only real problems i have when swapping in a Subaru engine is a few codes (which usually result in the car going into Limp mode ) but typically it's the P1507 code that comes up, expect for the WRX motor which is always a P0457

Thank you all
    Another suggestion to you: I would replace the stock UP (pipe between exhaust manifold and turbo hotside) with an aftermarket catless Up pipe, since it is a source of failure that can cause significant engine damage. This is most easily done with the motor out of the car. Furthermore, I would replace the Timing Belt/Water pump (if the motor has >60K miles) while the motor is out of the car to improve the longevity.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Another suggestion to you: I would replace the stock UP (pipe between exhaust manifold and turbo hotside) with an aftermarket catless Up pipe, since it is a source of failure that can cause significant engine damage. This is most easily done with the motor out of the car. Furthermore, I would replace the Timing Belt/Water pump (if the motor has >60K miles) while the motor is out of the car to improve the longevity.
    Well the Up-pipe is stock but de-catted (tons of fun), Also the engine was rebuilt before it went into the car

just a few pictures of the engine in the car. just a reminder the car is still in the testing stages, so it's not cleaned up yet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2-800.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	110168

Name:	image_1-800.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	110169

and just one of a car we built with a least 280hp 3.6L 993 motor (in a car that weighs @2200 pounds)

Name:	image-800.jpg 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	110170

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.