Pro tune costs - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Pro tune costs within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones Whatchou talkin bout Willis (or Dez)? "Protune" is just short for "professional tune" and refers to ...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Whatchou talkin bout Willis (or Dez)? "Protune" is just short for "professional tune" and refers to anything that's not OEM. A Cobb tune, opensource, etc are all protunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The term "Protune" was coined by Cobb pretty much when they introduced their commercial "ProTuner" software for the Accessport almost a decade ago. Nobody used that term until Cobb did. Any shop that bought a license for Cobb's proprietary software was known as a "ProTuner" and went on Cobb's list of shops. So you would bring your car and AP to one of Cobb's licensed "ProTuners" and got a "Protune". It's semantics really. They have a new generation of software and have now changed the name to "AccessTuner"

Domestic Pro-Tuners
    that's what i was talking about lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispsti View Post
    couldnt be more wrong. check out some of the threads on iwsti where you can talk directly to a subaru employee that denies warranty claims all the time because of mods
    there's a difference between your warranty being VOIDED and a claim being DENIED.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Huh... didn't know that...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

couldnt be more wrong. check out some of the threads on iwsti where you can talk directly to a subaru employee that denies warranty claims all the time because of mods
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    there's a difference between your warranty being VOIDED and a claim being DENIED.
    True.......that being said i have modified almost every aspect of my car and im pretty sure they wouldn't warranty a single part on it

I Support ClubWRX
    True.......that being said i have modified almost every aspect of my car and im pretty sure they wouldn't warranty a single part on it
    The warranty on that part is voided. So you can swap the radio out and if you have a problem with the engine the next week don't worry, your warranty on the engine is still good. People freak about warranty stuff way too easy. Talk to your service manager and figure out what the problem is and try to be nice, they're trying to make money and keep customers.... but some are just a-holes but that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    I assume it will void warranties so I am holding off of doing pro tunes but am wondering what the average pro tune costs? I hear even at stock a pro tune can give great gains and such. I am having the SPT CBE installed within the week and doubt the dealer would tune for it though i've heard its more or less plug and play.

I'm in MD where i hear Agile Auto is the way to go for tuning. I'm also near Mach V so either is an option.
    did you make any decisions yet?

I'm not talking about claims being denied.. Subaru can deny any claim for any reason, whether the car is modded or not (they can claim "abuse"), that doesn't mean the warranty is void or the car no longer has a warranty. As far as I know there is absolutely nothing you can do to effectively void the cars warranty (short of tampering with the VIN, or probably tampering with the odometer).

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I'm not talking about claims being denied.. Subaru can deny any claim for any reason, whether the car is modded or not (they can claim "abuse"), that doesn't mean the warranty is void or the car no longer has a warranty. As far as I know there is absolutely nothing you can do to effectively void the cars warranty (short of tampering with the VIN, or probably tampering with the odometer).
    Yep, I was just going to say if you tamper with the v.i.n. or odometer the warranty is voided. However, people worry way too much about warranty with these cars. Yes, my car has a few bolt on's and tune but I rarely drive the car hard and maintain it properly so I'm not worried about it.

The only thing that does concern me is a cracked ringland which can happen even when stock. After talking with Hill about the problem he said around 50% of the engine failures they see could have been prevented.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I haven't made any decisions just yet but am leaning toward getting it tuned now that I have the SPT exhaust installed. That is all I am going to be doing (Unless i go down pipe) to be fully stage 2 and then get it tuned. Any good places that does OS tuning in the MD/VA/WV area from personal experience?

I don't know any dealership that would deny a claim due to a tune, or exhaust.. I had a dealership that was willing to do warranty work on my hybrid engine even though the car itself had over 90k miles on it, turbo swap, FMIC, UTEC, MBC, etc. The only reason I didn't have them do the engine rebuild under warranty was because I wanted forged pistons put in and they would only use OEM Subaru parts.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I don't know any dealership that would deny a claim due to a tune, or exhaust.. I had a dealership that was willing to do warranty work on my hybrid engine even though the car itself had over 90k miles on it, turbo swap, FMIC, UTEC, MBC, etc. The only reason I didn't have them do the engine rebuild under warranty was because I wanted forged pistons put in and they would only use OEM Subaru parts.
    I'm new to Subaru's but coming from the Nissan world and dealing with dealers in three states I'd say your story is rare. What dealership was so willing to go along with the warranty? The local Subie dealer here is Las Vegas is the ONLY one around for 4hrs in any direction and even though they have their own "race car" shop in the back they still don't play ball with mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by matsayz
    I'm new to Subaru's but coming from the Nissan world and dealing with dealers in three states I'd say your story is rare. What dealership was so willing to go along with the warranty? The local Subie dealer here is Las Vegas is the ONLY one around for 4hrs in any direction and even though they have their own "race car" shop in the back they still don't play ball with mods.
    It's not "rare"; there are quite a few modification-friendly dealerships. Typically, they're able to look the other way when it comes to minor claims, but when big things like a motor claim comes in, and a regional rep has to approve the claim, they're unable to do anything for you. They can always "good will" the claim, though.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post

It was Huffines Subaru of Lewisville.. The motor was originally built by a Subaru dealership in FL, hence the reason it had warranty even though the car was out of its warranty period. The service manager at Huffines hardly questioned me about it, but the lead tech was pretty honest in telling me he had no clue how to deal with most of the mods I had. This is the same dealership that replaced the clutch twice on my other bugeye (under warranty) and built my transmission with STi gears. They never said anything about the fact that that car was stage two at the time. They were more interested in the modifications and their effect on performance than trying to deny a claim.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.