Cobb AP for daily driver?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb AP for daily driver? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been seeing time and time again that putting a Cobb Stage 1 AP on your car is a wonderful ...

Cobb AP for daily driver?

I've been seeing time and time again that putting a Cobb Stage 1 AP on your car is a wonderful investment, with lots of gain and little to no trouble from the dealerships. I had to ask though...

I have a 2012 WRX, and I do want to get a Cobb AP at some point, but is it a good idea for a car that is also being used as a daily driver?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Cobb AP for daily driver?

Stage 1 smooths out the powerband, you know that jerkiness after 3.5 rpms? Gone smooth linear acceleration.

But I would go opensource tuning, cheaper, same effect. Why the hell not?

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX
    Absolutely worthwhile for the above mentioned smoothness. Even a daily driver will benefit from a custom tune, be it Cobb or from an open source tuner.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I don't think anyone will tell you not to do it. The stock tune is not well regarded, so any version of a Stage 1 tune is a great move. The AP is a milder tune, so if you have any concerns about long term impact it may be the way to go. If money is a concern, open source is the answer.

The only real consideration is that it does mean that your dealership *could* deny certain warranty claims if they deem that the new tune had some role to play. That will vary tremendously from dealership to dealership - some are very cool with mods and tunes, others not so much. Many of us just accept the "pay to play" philosophy and go for it.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Ahhh, thanks for the input everyone! <3

That is one thing I worry about, are these silly dealerships. Doesn't it come with an option that lets you set everything back to OEM settings? Has anyone had any bad luck with that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanala View Post
    Doesn't it come with an option that lets you set everything back to OEM settings? Has anyone had any bad luck with that?
    Yes,its can be flashed back to the stock map that is preserved on the AP.

It all depends if something were to happen that would warrant bringing in an engineer to check the ECU. If he/she checks,that changes have been made to the ECU can be assumed & be grounds for warranty denial.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Opensource in my opinion

Sanala, did you ever end up going Cobb AP Stage 1? If so, how do you like it? Is it worth it for a DD? Thanks!

i think the copp ap is the best safest mod to make. although i am not familiar with opensource so it might be good to look into that too, im sure it is an excellent solution also. i never have though, been happy with cobb so sticking with it lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.