When should I get a tune?

This is a discussion on When should I get a tune? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I'm new to this site so I hope I'm posting in the right area, if not I apologize! ...

When should I get a tune?

Hey guys I'm new to this site so I hope I'm posting in the right area, if not I apologize! Anyway I own a basically stock 04' WRX and I'm looking to install a new up pipe, down pipe, and an intake. This car is my DD so I don't want to do to much to it's engine at the moment. ANYWAY, when should I get a tune or do I even need a tune after I install these 3 parts? Since I've only owned this car for a few weeks I'm still new and learning about new things about it. So yes my question is when should I get a tune or do I even need a tune after these installs?

Thanks
    Rippel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is what I'd do, in order of preference:

1. Nothing. This costs a lot of time and money, because "nothing" means maintaining the car with authentic Subaru parts according to the manual. "Nothing" is also a prerequisite for any/all changes you want to do.
    2. Up pipe. No tune needed, but you will have to fix the CEL with a resistor.
    3. Down pipe. Tune needed.

I would not bother doing a down pipe alone, and I would not do the intake under any circumstances here.

This means I'd not do a down pipe without the up pipe, and I'd not do the down pipe without a tune. The tune goes with the down pipe, if you ignore the intake. Since you should forget about the intake, down pipe --> tune.

I would do an up pipe without a tune though.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Re: When should I get a tune?

Yes, you need a tune. And do a little more research on intakes, it won't add anything impressive. I jumped the gun on an intake and it's sitting in my basement at the moment.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.