When should I get a tune?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on When should I get a tune? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I'm new to this site so I hope I'm posting in the right area, if not I apologize! ...

When should I get a tune?

Hey guys I'm new to this site so I hope I'm posting in the right area, if not I apologize! Anyway I own a basically stock 04' WRX and I'm looking to install a new up pipe, down pipe, and an intake. This car is my DD so I don't want to do to much to it's engine at the moment. ANYWAY, when should I get a tune or do I even need a tune after I install these 3 parts? Since I've only owned this car for a few weeks I'm still new and learning about new things about it. So yes my question is when should I get a tune or do I even need a tune after these installs?

Thanks
    Rippel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is what I'd do, in order of preference:

1. Nothing. This costs a lot of time and money, because "nothing" means maintaining the car with authentic Subaru parts according to the manual. "Nothing" is also a prerequisite for any/all changes you want to do.
    2. Up pipe. No tune needed, but you will have to fix the CEL with a resistor.
    3. Down pipe. Tune needed.

I would not bother doing a down pipe alone, and I would not do the intake under any circumstances here.

This means I'd not do a down pipe without the up pipe, and I'd not do the down pipe without a tune. The tune goes with the down pipe, if you ignore the intake. Since you should forget about the intake, down pipe --> tune.

I would do an up pipe without a tune though.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-03-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Re: When should I get a tune?

Yes, you need a tune. And do a little more research on intakes, it won't add anything impressive. I jumped the gun on an intake and it's sitting in my basement at the moment.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.