Which E-tuner is the best?

This is a discussion on Which E-tuner is the best? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just gathering some opinions here. I don't have a WB02, nor am I getting one. Yes, a protune would be ...

Which E-tuner is the best?

Just gathering some opinions here. I don't have a WB02, nor am I getting one. Yes, a protune would be much better I know, but dropping over 500.00 or more is a lot of money. I'm running the TP stage 2 map. Would I get much more power from a custom e-tune?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes you'd get more power, but I would highly recommend a wideband O2.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

^that.

you can't really do a e-tune with a wbo2.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd be okay with doing a stage 1 map without a wideband... Once you start adding an intake making volumetric efficiency (VE) changes, I think you are getting into a risky area personally.

I'm sure if a tuner has done a lot of stage 2 tunes, they can get a pretty good feel for what you are running. I have a hard time believing that most stage 2 OTS tunes are running appropriate AFRs, and would even consider it a gamble. You also have one less tool for diagnosing random issues that come up (more than you'd expect).

That being said, go with a tuner that has done a lot of tunes. I had STi Mikey tune my car when I was stage 1. It wasn't a bad tune per say, but I wasn't crazy about the feel. I have a few other odds and ends, but it worked and was better than the stock tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

every e tuner that is willing to do a non half ass tune will ask you to get a wideband, if he wont then he is obviously not the best imo. I recently tuned my bros 05 16g wrx(and still in progress) with an aem cai and maf scaling was significantly off between the aem cai and the stock intake. You will need to rescale maf for both closed loop and open loop, cl you can do without a wideband, ol you NEED a wideband.

probably will just wait and get a protune locally then. By the time I by the WB, go through the headache of installing it and doing all of the work, it will be the same as just getting the protune at a local shop. I'll just have to figure out which shop would be the best to go with. Definitely not going through the whole WB02 install again.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    probably will just wait and get a protune locally then. By the time I by the WB, go through the headache of installing it and doing all of the work, it will be the same as just getting the protune at a local shop. I'll just have to figure out which shop would be the best to go with. Definitely not going through the whole WB02 install again.
    I believe most better chasis dynos have gas analyzers attached to them... so you wouldn't need the wb02. It still would be nice to have to verify your tune, however.

I disliked the wb02 install as well. Hate running electrical stuff through the car.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

You guys are girls. Wideband Install was super easy. If you're catless you don't even need to take the DP off.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    You guys are girls. Wideband Install was super easy. If you're catless you don't even need to take the DP off.
    If you can weld a bung in while it's on the car... sure. I got lucky and just guessed a placement for the bung before my down pipe install. Then realized after I put it on, the guy screwed up and I had to file out a lip around the inside of the bung anyhow.
    2011 STi Build Log

Re: Which E-tuner is the best?

subd.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I talked to a couple of tuners about doing an e-tune, every one of them told me to get a wideband and a logging cable for it. The wideband install was SUPER easy. After talking with my local tuner/shop owner I just installed it in the rear O2 bung that was already there. Then it was just a matter of stringing the wire through the firewall and tapping it into power/ground, and soldering the USB cable in for logging. All in all it probably took me 20 minutes to install. The AEM UEGO is pretty inexpensive on eBay too, and I think my logging cable was like $17.