Odd question concerning stage 1 ap tune
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Odd question concerning stage 1 ap tune within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have a dumb question that is stumping me a little and just looking for some general feedback. ...

Odd question concerning stage 1 ap tune

Hey guys, I have a dumb question that is stumping me a little and just looking for some general feedback. I have an 07 wrx that I purchased 2 years ago and to my knowledge was completely stock. I am not new to turbo motors and ecu management as I have had several cars and am quite knowledgeable in that area however I am only 2 years old with subaru lol. I of course have done my homework over the last 2 years. So that being said, I recently tuned my wrx to stage 1 with cobb ap and have noticed a significant increase not only in smoothness of acceleration but clearly more hp, a lot more torque and lower torque peak and almost a 1200RPM drop in spool up. Now I know stage 1 does do this to some extent, however I feel it shouldnt be quite as drastic as it seems. So I ran the dyno on the ap and again I know these are not 100% accurate and stuff so I would allow for the numbers to be off. So I set the weight as 3290lbs as the car is right around 3100lbs I believe and Im in at 190lbs. Then used 3rd gear for test. I ran this several times and the numbers it gives me is 274 WHP @ 5640RPM and 311 WHT @ 3200RPM. I know what cobb claims and with all the situations that are in involved and all the different aspects and no car reacts the same yes I know all this, but this much increase over stock by just stage 1? I cant see it. So could the numbers be off that much? As cobb claims x amount at flywheel but the ap is telling me this at wheel so it would be roughly %25 more at flywheel so just looking for some feedback on this. From my other cars I have several performance recording units so I checked this with the wrx. When I bought the car I could get a 0 to 60 in 5.1s and a quarter mile in at 13.8 which seems pretty average. After stage 1 I am running 4.7 0-60 and 13.3ish quarter mile. No Im not dumping clutch as I am experienced with racing and know how to launch properly lol. My car at purchase time was running 11.6 psi which is stock numbers after stage 1 is running 14.8 psi which goes along with stage 1 specs. Again the performance feel is very drastic (more than should be from what I have researched) I checked all the parts on the car and everything seems stock. My downpipe has a cat in it so im assuming that is stock. Has stock exhaust pipe. Only mods I have done to it is silencer delete at airbox and I put a muffler on it for the subaru sound. So Im wondering if this is normal? It doesnt seem it with all the research I have done for just a stage 1. Stage 2 I could see it but not stage 1. Sorry for the novel guys just trying to give all the info I can so I can cover all the variables.

Thanks guys.

Derek
    07 WRX
    ============
    91 Mazda MX6 2.2l Turbo - 290WHP RIP
    1996 SI b20Vtec Turbo 242 WHP RIP
    ============
    A Stop sign or a Red light isn't just another stop, but another opportunity to mash the gas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To answer simply... Yes there is a noticeable difference going to a stage 1 map. I would put zero faith in the dyno feature of the AP. Under the right conditions, it can show a discrepancy of several hundred hp and tq. I would use COBB's dyno numbers as a pretty good reference point as far as power gains are concerned.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    To answer simply... Yes there is a noticeable difference going to a stage 1 map. I would put zero faith in the dyno feature of the AP. Under the right conditions, it can show a discrepancy of several hundred hp and tq. I would use COBB's dyno numbers as a pretty good reference point as far as power gains are concerned.
    Thanks, I kinda figured as much just wanted to throw this out there.

Cheers
    07 WRX
    ============
    91 Mazda MX6 2.2l Turbo - 290WHP RIP
    1996 SI b20Vtec Turbo 242 WHP RIP
    ============
    A Stop sign or a Red light isn't just another stop, but another opportunity to mash the gas

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.