Odd question concerning stage 1 ap tune

This is a discussion on Odd question concerning stage 1 ap tune within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have a dumb question that is stumping me a little and just looking for some general feedback. ...

Odd question concerning stage 1 ap tune

Hey guys, I have a dumb question that is stumping me a little and just looking for some general feedback. I have an 07 wrx that I purchased 2 years ago and to my knowledge was completely stock. I am not new to turbo motors and ecu management as I have had several cars and am quite knowledgeable in that area however I am only 2 years old with subaru lol. I of course have done my homework over the last 2 years. So that being said, I recently tuned my wrx to stage 1 with cobb ap and have noticed a significant increase not only in smoothness of acceleration but clearly more hp, a lot more torque and lower torque peak and almost a 1200RPM drop in spool up. Now I know stage 1 does do this to some extent, however I feel it shouldnt be quite as drastic as it seems. So I ran the dyno on the ap and again I know these are not 100% accurate and stuff so I would allow for the numbers to be off. So I set the weight as 3290lbs as the car is right around 3100lbs I believe and Im in at 190lbs. Then used 3rd gear for test. I ran this several times and the numbers it gives me is 274 WHP @ 5640RPM and 311 WHT @ 3200RPM. I know what cobb claims and with all the situations that are in involved and all the different aspects and no car reacts the same yes I know all this, but this much increase over stock by just stage 1? I cant see it. So could the numbers be off that much? As cobb claims x amount at flywheel but the ap is telling me this at wheel so it would be roughly %25 more at flywheel so just looking for some feedback on this. From my other cars I have several performance recording units so I checked this with the wrx. When I bought the car I could get a 0 to 60 in 5.1s and a quarter mile in at 13.8 which seems pretty average. After stage 1 I am running 4.7 0-60 and 13.3ish quarter mile. No Im not dumping clutch as I am experienced with racing and know how to launch properly lol. My car at purchase time was running 11.6 psi which is stock numbers after stage 1 is running 14.8 psi which goes along with stage 1 specs. Again the performance feel is very drastic (more than should be from what I have researched) I checked all the parts on the car and everything seems stock. My downpipe has a cat in it so im assuming that is stock. Has stock exhaust pipe. Only mods I have done to it is silencer delete at airbox and I put a muffler on it for the subaru sound. So Im wondering if this is normal? It doesnt seem it with all the research I have done for just a stage 1. Stage 2 I could see it but not stage 1. Sorry for the novel guys just trying to give all the info I can so I can cover all the variables.

Thanks guys.

Derek
    07 WRX
    ============
    91 Mazda MX6 2.2l Turbo - 290WHP RIP
    1996 SI b20Vtec Turbo 242 WHP RIP
    ============
    A Stop sign or a Red light isn't just another stop, but another opportunity to mash the gas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To answer simply... Yes there is a noticeable difference going to a stage 1 map. I would put zero faith in the dyno feature of the AP. Under the right conditions, it can show a discrepancy of several hundred hp and tq. I would use COBB's dyno numbers as a pretty good reference point as far as power gains are concerned.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    To answer simply... Yes there is a noticeable difference going to a stage 1 map. I would put zero faith in the dyno feature of the AP. Under the right conditions, it can show a discrepancy of several hundred hp and tq. I would use COBB's dyno numbers as a pretty good reference point as far as power gains are concerned.
    Thanks, I kinda figured as much just wanted to throw this out there.

Cheers
    07 WRX
    ============
    91 Mazda MX6 2.2l Turbo - 290WHP RIP
    1996 SI b20Vtec Turbo 242 WHP RIP
    ============
    A Stop sign or a Red light isn't just another stop, but another opportunity to mash the gas