Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash) within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have the Tactrix 2.0 and used it to reflash my ECU about 4 ish years ago. I am going ...

I have the Tactrix 2.0 and used it to reflash my ECU about 4 ish years ago.
    I am going to flash a buddies of mine in about an hour.
    I have had no issues what so ever with it and have flashed a few peoples and also diagnosed quite a few issues with other wrx'es.
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1987
    The original Tactrix cable takes $169 in official web, and the clone one costs $60, how the clone one works
    The description says it's genuine, but that site worries me (on first look). I have removed the link from your post as a precaution.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Why go for a probably scam clone when you're doing something that if it goes awry can brick your ecu
    fear is the mind killer

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitus View Post
    Why go for a probably scam clone when you're doing something that if it goes awry can brick your ecu
    Because people were able to flash the 2.5L cars with a $20 generic VAG-COM cable and you don't think Tactrix actually builds/produces their own cable do you? Pretty sure the work is outsourced to China like everything else.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Because people were able to flash the 2.5L cars with a $20 generic VAG-COM cable and you don't think Tactrix actually builds/produces their own cable do you? Pretty sure the work is outsourced to China like everything else.
    You bet your ass.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

With all the times I've seen people on here say you've gotta pay to play, and telling people to avoid knockoff parts for their cars, I felt like going with the branded option so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
    Edit: also more importantly a tactrix cable comes with a sticker which is approximately +5 to the wheels if you have an intake I read.
    fear is the mind killer

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitus View Post
    With all the times I've seen people on here say you've gotta pay to play, and telling people to avoid knockoff parts for their cars, I felt like going with the branded option so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
    Edit: also more importantly a tactrix cable comes with a sticker which is approximately +5 to the wheels if you have an intake I read.
    I wouldn't tell someone to not buy a Tactrix as it is supporting a company that is producing free software to tune our vehicles. But there is a difference between fashion and function. The hard part is differentiating between the two. Megan DP vs Invidia Dp? Sure. $300 Godspeed big 16G vs $900 Blouch? Eh....I will pay the money for the Blouch.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Tactrix are made in the USA. 100% sure.

The hardware is produced outside of Seattle, WA and then assembly and testing is done in Norcal.

There was a thread about it on Nasioc the other day.

One of the creators brought the clone and talked about their teardown process.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That's cool I didn't know I was buying local.
    fear is the mind killer

...you don't think Tactrix actually builds/produces their own cable do you? Pretty sure the work is outsourced to China like everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You bet your ass.
    Not quite. We've always been made here in the USA since the first day, with the earliest designs hand built by the owner. Pretty quickly we employed the services of a circuit board assembler and the one we use now use to be close to our old office in Washington. When Tactrix moved from Washington to San Francisco (owner's wife took a position with the veteran's hospital here) we decided to continue using them even though 'local pickup' was no longer an option. The remainder of the assembly happens in our building, with most of it happening on my desk. This includes final assembly, programming, two rounds of testing, and order fulfillment. Hopefully we'll be moving to a point of having another company do the shipping because that would allow me to spend more time on software development, but we don't have any plans to outsource our production to China. So to those who continue to support our two person company, we greatly appreciate it and as long as we can fund our work on our freely distributed EcuFlash software by selling our hardware we'll continue to add new features and vehicle compatibility in addition to providing lifetime support even if you weren't the original purchaser of your OpenPort.

Quote Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
    Tactrix are made in the USA. 100% sure.
    The hardware is produced outside of Seattle, WA and then assembly and testing is done in Norcal.
    There was a thread about it on Nasioc the other day.
    One of the creators brought the clone and talked about their teardown process.
    What he said

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyPSF View Post
    Not quite. We've always been made here in the USA since the first day, with the earliest designs hand built by the owner. Pretty quickly we employed the services of a circuit board assembler and the one we use now use to be close to our old office in Washington. When Tactrix moved from Washington to San Francisco (owner's wife took a position with the veteran's hospital here) we decided to continue using them even though 'local pickup' was no longer an option. The remainder of the assembly happens in our building, with most of it happening on my desk. This includes final assembly, programming, two rounds of testing, and order fulfillment. Hopefully we'll be moving to a point of having another company do the shipping because that would allow me to spend more time on software development, but we don't have any plans to outsource our production to China. So to those who continue to support our two person company, we greatly appreciate it and as long as we can fund our work on our freely distributed EcuFlash software by selling our hardware we'll continue to add new features and vehicle compatibility in addition to providing lifetime support even if you weren't the original purchaser of your OpenPort.

What he said
    Are the 1.3 open port cables that Evoscan sells geniune licensed Tactrix cables?
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's fantastic and quite rare in this day and age. I'd prefer to support American companies and glad I have supported Tactrix with my business.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Are the 1.3 open port cables that Evoscan sells geniune licensed Tactrix cables?
    Yes, that's the only current legitimate source for the older 1.3 design since we haven't sold those since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    That's fantastic and quite rare in this day and age. I'd prefer to support American companies and glad I have supported Tactrix with my business.
    And we thank you for your support!

-Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.