Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi to you all once again. I need your humble advice once more. I was at the track recently and ...

Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2

Hi to you all once again. I need your humble advice once more. I was at the track recently and was insanely discouraged because I was running a whole second slower last year (it's too embarrassing to say). So now I'm looking into going stage 1 (filter and access port) to hopefully lower my 1/4 mile time. I'm sure part of my problem is having an automatic and my car is an 02' so it has a "glassbox" tranny . I am wondering if going stage 1 will be worth it or if it will harm anything? Can the same access port I used for my car be used on other WRX, etc in the future? Is stage 2 out of the question?

Other things to mention: I have cat-back exhaust with 2.5 inch piping, I'm thinking of going with 3" before tuning and staging up. I also already have a panel aftermarket filter.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thank you all.
    '02 WRX Bugeye; Midnight Blue / Black Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't launch your car and your tranny will be fine. You'll be fine on stage 2. If you need some parts let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2

The automatic transmission will hurt you. However, it isn't as commonly broken as the 5MTs on some of the Bugeyes.

A 2.5" catback will not limit you on the stock turbo anything significant. I would spend that money elsewhere, or use it to enjoy your car with the new tune.

You do want to get rid of the uppipe cat, though.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

is this you Daily Driver?
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

be easy launching it but hard accels are better than flooring it in neutral and dropping it in drive. or you can brake boost your launches. but skip stage 1 go for stage 2. replace the stock uppipe like EJ said because the stock cat will tear apart under higher levels of boost, but turboback exhaust, upipe and stage 2 AP tune and youll be good. the 2.5" catback will work but 3" will obviously get you better flow. not 100% sure if the aftermarket filter will work with your stage 2 AP tune, id just stick the stock one back in as its not very restrictive in the first place. and if your looking foor more of an airfilter sucking sound you can remove the intake silencer in your fender well and that will give you a sound mod that wont mess anything up

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    be easy launching it but hard accels are better than flooring it in neutral and dropping it in drive. or you can brake boost your launches. but skip stage 1 go for stage 2. replace the stock uppipe like EJ said because the stock cat will tear apart under higher levels of boost, but turboback exhaust, upipe and stage 2 AP tune and youll be good. the 2.5" catback will work but 3" will obviously get you better flow. not 100% sure if the aftermarket filter will work with your stage 2 AP tune, id just stick the stock one back in as its not very restrictive in the first place. and if your looking foor more of an airfilter sucking sound you can remove the intake silencer in your fender well and that will give you a sound mod that wont mess anything up

Thanks for that advice. I forgot to mention that the uppipe was already done, Perrin aftermarket. I have also removed the snorkle silencer POS from the fender too. I was just considering 3" because it would be the most I would expand the piping to anyway, that way I could no longer blame that for anything. Couldn't I go stage 1, then add a downpipe later and retune with the access port again?

Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    is this you Daily Driver?
    Yes it is. Stage 2 is the most I would ever go.

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    Don't launch your car and your tranny will be fine. You'll be fine on stage 2. If you need some parts let me know.
    Nice to see you again Kronos, I got you in mind. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The automatic transmission will hurt you. However, it isn't as commonly broken as the 5MTs on some of the Bugeyes.

A 2.5" catback will not limit you on the stock turbo anything significant. I would spend that money elsewhere, or use it to enjoy your car with the new tune.

You do want to get rid of the uppipe cat, though.
    So would you not recommend going with 3" exhaust piping?

Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX View Post
    Thanks for that advice. I forgot to mention that the uppipe was already done, Perrin aftermarket. I have also removed the snorkle silencer POS from the fender too. I was just considering 3" because it would be the most I would expand the piping to anyway, that way I could no longer blame that for anything. Couldn't I go stage 1, then add a downpipe later and retune with the access port again?
    yes with your catback on you can go stage 1

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    lol at "glassbox." You can thank the DSM crowd of inexperienced drivers for that moniker.

If you don't believe me, PM Ray. He's pushing about 340wtq through the "glassbox" 2002 Transmission.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    lol at "glassbox." You can thank the DSM crowd of inexperienced drivers for that moniker.

If you don't believe me, PM Ray. He's pushing about 340wtq through the "glassbox" 2002 Transmission.
    Yeah the first time I heard that I thought it was a bunch of bull, and then again my tranny is automatic so I didn't think it would be an issue. I'm sure he is running a standard tranny, but yeah I believe it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX
    So would you not recommend going with 3" exhaust piping?
    It's not cost-effective; likely the difference would be within the margin of error on the dyno. You'd be far better off spending the money you would pay for a new catback on a custom reflash. If you're already doing a custom reflash, spend it on a TMIC. There are a bunch of other modifications which will be more beneficial with the stock turbo than a 3" catback.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's not cost-effective; likely the difference would be within the margin of error on the dyno. You'd be far better off spending the money you would pay for a new catback on a custom reflash. If you're already doing a custom reflash, spend it on a TMIC. There are a bunch of other modifications which will be more beneficial with the stock turbo than a 3" catback.
    So the custom reflash has nothing to do with the Access Port? A new TMIC, something other than my stock TMIC?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX
    So the custom reflash has nothing to do with the Access Port? A new TMIC, something other than my stock TMIC?
    You can get a custom reflash with your AP; if the shop tunes OpenECU, you can go that route, too.

A new TMIC would replace your OE unit with a more efficient unit.

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast