Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by WRidesX Wow you all have given me a lot to consider. I really appreciate the criticism, seriously, ...

Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX View Post
    Wow you all have given me a lot to consider. I really appreciate the criticism, seriously, it helps. I will certainly consider a new TMIC (should I install this post or pre tune with Access Port?).

I'm assuming the maps that come loaded on an Access Port would address and / or solve many of these issues that you all mentioned i.e. back pressure, running rich vs. lean, low end acceleration issues, etc.?
    It's nice to have someone who appritiates good advise, a lot of people consider criticism an insult. The truth is I'd rather hear something I didnt want to hear vs breaking parts and spending money.

If you want a new TMIC I'd install it pre tune so that it can adjust itself into the tune with the rest of the new stuff. Otherwise it will have to go through a whole new learning process(driving easy/mild for 20+ miles). The Cobb AP's stage 2 is pretty safe and will work with a wide variety of Cobb parts(intake and full exhaust with a slightly bigger TMIC). You will notice a nice jump in power over stock with catback, the pull will be much smoother as well. It's also pretty easy to resell the APs on here and craigslist/eBay if you decide later you want to go further.

Like I said if your worried about 1/4 miles it's gunna come down to how fast you get off the line, I couldn't even run a high 12 with my 16g 02 wrx 5mt without nearly destroying the car off the line and it felt fast to everyone who rode in it including me.. So don't let times get you down. If your happy with the way the car runs, who cares what it does at the track. Especially being a DD, don't remember if you said it was.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    It's nice to have someone who appritiates good advise, a lot of people consider criticism an insult. The truth is I'd rather hear something I didnt want to hear vs breaking parts and spending money.

If you want a new TMIC I'd install it pre tune so that it can adjust itself into the tune with the rest of the new stuff. Otherwise it will have to go through a whole new learning process(driving easy/mild for 20+ miles). The Cobb AP's stage 2 is pretty safe and will work with a wide variety of Cobb parts(intake and full exhaust with a slightly bigger TMIC). You will notice a nice jump in power over stock with catback, the pull will be much smoother as well. It's also pretty easy to resell the APs on here and craigslist/eBay if you decide later you want to go further.

Like I said if your worried about 1/4 miles it's gunna come down to how fast you get off the line, I couldn't even run a high 12 with my 16g 02 wrx 5mt without nearly destroying the car off the line and it felt fast to everyone who rode in it including me.. So don't let times get you down. If your happy with the way the car runs, who cares what it does at the track. Especially being a DD, don't remember if you said it was.
    Yes it is my DD. So could I use the same Access Port I will use for Stage 1 with going Stage 2 when I decide to?

I know getting off the line fast with an 4EAT will be tough to navigate in itself. I'm just hoping the AP will help open it up a little more.
    '02 WRX Bugeye; Midnight Blue / Black Pearl

I Support ClubWRX

Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2

The same device, yes, but a different map. The first three things to do are to read the map notes, read the map notes, and read the map notes. The parts supported will be listed; stick with that list for shopping. Otherwise look for a custom map instead in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The same device, yes, but a different map. The first three things to do are to read the map notes, read the map notes, and read the map notes. The parts supported will be listed; stick with that list for shopping. Otherwise look for a custom map instead in my view.
    Ha that was great: and the first rule of Fight Club is..

So since you recommend sticking to that list for shopping, will it matter that I already have a custom CBE, or will I have to redo it to make it within regulations of said shopping list?

I Support ClubWRX

Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2

I don't know about recent cars but for cars before 08 in my view a cat back may as well not exist, it made no difference.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Same section of road? Same direction? Same atmospheric/weather conditions?

A 2.5" catback will still be an improvement over OE (2.25").
    yes, same day actually. Maybe 2 hours apart as far as logs go.

Thank you to you all for the advice. I'm probably going to be purchasing the AP next month. Anyone else who has any other pointers please keep posting. I am still in the research phase after all.

Have you thought about going opensource instead of the ap?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
    Have you thought about going opensource instead of the ap?
    Okay I need this explained. What is the difference? Which is better?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX
    Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the link! That is helpful. Now I'm a little weary of using either method if my engine could fail due to it or turn my ECU into a paperweight. Then again, I only plan on going stage 1 for now.

Now I need to know about this: I'm considering getting a downpipe like this. Any opinions?

CNT Racing Catted Downpipe - DP-02WRX-CATTED - Subaru - Impreza - WRX - From: 2002 - To: 2007 | NextGenTuning.com

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Going Stage 1 Possibly Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX
    Now I need to know about this: I'm considering getting a downpipe like this. Any opinions?

CNT Racing Catted Downpipe - DP-02WRX-CATTED - Subaru - Impreza - WRX - From: 2002 - To: 2007 | NextGenTuning.com
    Welds look like Michael J Fox did them, and may not fit great (I had issues with one on an '08). From a performance standpoint, should be similar to any other downpipe with a cat in the upper half.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Welds look like Michael J Fox did them, and may not fit great (I had issues with one on an '08). From a performance standpoint, should be similar to any other downpipe with a cat in the upper half.
    good advice. My main concern is if it will match up with my current setup: like the mouth connecting to the piping after the turbo and connecting to my CBE, which I believe is 2.5" but looks like 3" upon measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX View Post
    Well it depends, if you get a custom opensource tune it will generally be cheaper than a cobb pro tune. both can be equally as good though if they are specific to your mods.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast