tunning help needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on tunning help needed within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I moved the thread to the Tuning section, where you're more likely to get a better response....

I Support ClubWRX
    I moved the thread to the Tuning section, where you're more likely to get a better response.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanx man yea Im new to this whole forum thing ....how bad will my car run with no tune when I slap on
    these parts .....16 g turbo ...fmic ....650 cc inj...turbo back exhaust...cold air intake...255 lph fp....up pipe....... I mean I no all cars run different but just in general will it be ok to drive it
    Last edited by Iwannagofast; 01-27-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannagofast View Post
    Thanx man yea Im new to this whole forum thing ....how bad will my car run with no tune when I slap on
    these parts .....16 g turbo ...fmic ....650 cc inj...turbo back exhaust...cold air intake...255 mph fp....up pipe....... I mean I no all cars run different but just in general will it be ok to drive it
    It will probably barely run without a tune. I certainly would not drive it
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

So.... you have the cash to slap on those parts but not enough to spare fore a tune? Dude......

he didnt say anything about no cash for tune, did he, unless i missed it...he just wants help and those that respond with no knowledge on tuning does not help him...maybe suggest getting torqued to throw him a tune to start is a good 'start'....maybe he can like i did with megasquirt figure out program to get to run ok till he logs and can send to tuner to get a new tune...not?? jeff

ok so who getts all this **** with out money to tune ....i am a mechanic for a living i no this doesnt make me god but im not a retard....ive already been in contact with innovative tuning in buffalo so i was already assuming it would run like **** just needed to make sure i wasnt alone.........and along the lines of the cash issuse i would rather learn to do it then pay for it ....i would enjoy the challange but the difficulties are finding someone to teach u but buy trading data logs i would eventually put two and two together .....i got doe and i dont mean deer

I Support ClubWRX
    I mean I no all cars run different but just in general will it be ok to drive it
    It has nothing to do with that. Any modern day OBDI/OBDII/CANBUS car will run like crap with larger injectors than stock. The ECU has to be told what size injectors are being used in order to use the right pulse width. It only has a small range of correction in closed loop fueling. You will end up with bore wash. Then you have all the other parts your trying to slap on. Contact a professional tuner and have him send you (email) a map for your mods. I'm starting to feel like a broken record.............
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ok so who getts all this **** with out money to tune ....i am a mechanic for a living i no this doesnt make me god but im not a retard....ive already been in contact with innovative tuning in buffalo so i was already assuming it would run like **** just needed to make sure i wasnt alone.........and along the lines of the cash issuse i would rather learn to do it then pay for it ....i would enjoy the challange but the difficulties are finding someone to teach u but buy trading data logs i would eventually put two and two together .....i got doe and i dont mean deer
    I'm just putting in my few cents dude. I mean, its cool that you want to tune it yourself and all but today where a good/bad tune can potentially kill your engine.... Wouldn't to worth it to start with a professional baseline?

yea thats what i was gonna try and do the options are limited in pittsburgh well at least the legit ones which is what im in search for. ive been doing alot of reading on romraiders and am starting to understand more and more every time i read up. but i live in pittsburgh and buffalo is like 5 or 6 hours away and renting a uhaul would sux my ass

I Support ClubWRX
    but buy trading data logs i would eventually put two and two together .....i got doe and i dont mean deer
    You wouldn't put 2 and 2 together quick enough. I'm telling ya,I have been turning wrenches for over 20 years. Tuning modern fuel injected cars has been by far the biggest learning curve. I'm not insulting your intelligence. I just don't think you totally understand all the variables. Especially when your trying to stuff all those parts on your car at once. Trying to rescale a MAF calibration for a aftermarket CAI while trying to figure out injector scaling and latencies at the same time is a nightmare. Not to mention dealing with the FMIC MAF signal lag. Try picking up these books.............. Amazon.com: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (9781932494426): Greg Banish: Books Amazon.com: How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780760315828): Jeff Hartman: Books Amazon.com: Turbo: Real-World High-Performance Turbocharger Systems (S-A Design) (9781932494297): Jay K. Miller: Books
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

so tune in stages is that what ur getting at and yeah i most def dont understand that **** u just said but im more of a hands on person even though reading is still good ...for the MAF lag on the fmic ive herd of placing the MAF infront of the throttle body ...is that bs or truth

I Support ClubWRX
    so tune in stages is that what ur getting at and yeah i most def dont understand that **** u just said but im more of a hands on person even though reading is still good
    I would probably install the injectors first,get the fueling spot on,then do the MAF scaling for the intake after you put on the FMIC. This is so you don't chase your tail trying to figure out a fueling issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannagofast
    ...for the MAF lag on the fmic ive herd of placing the MAF infront of the throttle body ...is that bs or truth
    Well technically the MAF will always be in front of the throttlebody. But I knew what you meant. It's called a "blow though MAF". Kind of like like "draw though" and "blow though" carburetor setups. Issue is it solves one problem but creates another(or sevral others). The MAF is now after the turbo in a very highly pressurized area that it wasn't designed for. Not to mention the MAF sensor Subaru uses has the IAT sensor built into it. So now the IAT sensor is taking readings post turbo and intercooler where before it was reading ambient temps. There are several fuel,boost control and timing tables the ECU uses that have compensation per IAT. These tables would now have to be retuned/rescaled.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ok so i have a lil bit of time to think now i was also wondering what the benefit of just a bigger top mount with a turbo xs recirculating bov but the 650 cc dw injectors and invidia up pipe i no r needed. also i considered just rebuilding the junk turbo i have and getting it pnp and ceramic coated ...any thoughts on this but i will def get the tune after the injectors also will be installing wide band ,egt,boost gauges so hopefully it works

I Support ClubWRX
    i was also wondering what the benefit of just a bigger top mount
    A quality aftermarket TMIC will have a lower pressure drop and increased cooling ability. That means you should be able to spool faster, and run a more aggressive tune with the same margin of safety.

a turbo xs recirculating bov
    Aftermarket valves can sometimes handle higher pressures before leaking. If your OE valve isn't leaking, there isn't much benefit.

also i considered just rebuilding the junk turbo i have and getting it pnp and ceramic coated
    Better throttle response, faster spool, slightly more power.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok so I found a place in the area that has awd dyno so ill be reporting back after tuned lol I think ima go with
    650cc de injectors .....set of glow white gauges...boost...egt...and a wideband
    255lph fuel pump....turbo inlet ...
    Im gonna do the fmic and toss a 16g blouch xt turbo
    Aaaand....
    A good tune...hopefully

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast