Kiwi iPhone / iPod touch / iPad automotive interface

This is a discussion on Kiwi iPhone / iPod touch / iPad automotive interface within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Did anyone in the forum try out this little device for data logging? It plugs into the vehicle's OBD II ...

Kiwi iPhone / iPod touch / iPad automotive interface

Did anyone in the forum try out this little device for data logging? It plugs into the vehicle's OBD II port and connects wirelessly to the ipod or iphone, it uses one of these two softwares which can be found in apple's Appstore (Rev) or (Dashcommander). Just wanted to see if anyone tried them, it seems to be more conveinient to carry around rather than the labtop while datalogging.
    Last edited by jalmood; 10-24-2011 at 07:01 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Haven't heard about it.But if you have heard of the Cobb AP,it is portable & can be used to datalog.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Haven't heard about it.But if you have heard of the Cobb AP,it is portable & can be used to datalog.
    Problem with the Cobb AP is that its only compatible with US Spec vehicles. My car is a Euro spec.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jalmood View Post
    Problem with the Cobb AP is that its only compatible with US Spec vehicles. My car is a Euro spec.
    Interesting.I did not know that.But then wouldn't you have the same issue with this ipod app/interface?It would be best if you gave them a call before ordering anything.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

This is the one I bought.

OT-2 OBD-II WiFi Interface for PCs and Smartphones

I have used it a few times and it works really good. The only thing I could never figure out is all the nomenclature for the different OBD codes. It is worth the money. Especially if you have a smart phone already and get pro-tuned. One day I will write a review.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump for more questions...

I'm looking at getting this app for my phone for basic monitoring, logging and reading/clearing codes: App Store - DashCommand - OBD-II gauge dashboards, scan tool, and vehicle diagnostics

They have a list of hardware they guarantee works, but has anyone tried any of the cheap ebay wifi OBDII readers with this app? I have a very old ebay USB OBDII reader which which has held up fine for 3+ years, but it's a hassle to drive around with my laptop (sorry Tactrix fans), and something wireless and mobile would be much more useful and convienent. They all use the Elm 327 chip, so I don't see why it wouldn't work, but just wondering if anyone else has tried.

Oguitar, if you're around, how did that OT-2 work out for you?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

The OT-2 has been a nice tool. I am still confused with the nomenclature on all the codes but some are pretty intuitive. I hardly use it though. It did come to use when I was doing my TGV deletes and kept getting trouble codes. The thing I don't like about it is the long cord. Unless you are willing to mount it permanantly the try to find a device the simply plugs into the OBD port. No cable would be better. It might hit your knees though so who knows.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ Yeah, the ones I was looking at just plug into the OBD port, and some of them route the cable off to the side, so I dont think it would it my knees. The little wifi box would be easy to hide behind the trim, or maybe the little cubby where the fuse access is...

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I don't usually get car stuff on ebay, but that old scanner I got there still works despite being cheap and pretty crappy overall, so I'm thinking this would be ok, since it's not anything critical on the car, just cheap and convienent.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

For 60$ it looks ok. I would be worried though that it will work seamlessly with the available apps. What phone are you going to be using?

I Support ClubWRX
    I plan on trying it out with my iPhone 4S, with the Dash Command app I posted above.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Dang that Dash command app is a little expensive. 50$ for the app and 60$ for the hardware will still save you some money compared to the ot-2 so I guess it is worth a try. I wonder if Logworks App Store - LogWorks would work with the hardware you are trying to use. It is free so you might want to try it before you buy dash command.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks, yeah Dash Command is pricy, but it seems pretty powerful, with all of the logging features and such. It seems like a polished and well rounded app, but the price is why I'm my if anyone else has tried it.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Got the app for $10 instead of $50...seemed worth a shot and is kind of cool. Here's a vid (not great quality)

DashCommand with iPhone 5 & App Radio 3 - YouTube
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2