Can you set an AccessPort to turn on and off with the ignition switch?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Can you set an AccessPort to turn on and off with the ignition switch? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'd like to use my AccessPort for some of its gauge functions (boost gauge, fuel economy tracker, etc). I mounted ...

Can you set an AccessPort to turn on and off with the ignition switch?

I'd like to use my AccessPort for some of its gauge functions (boost gauge, fuel economy tracker, etc). I mounted it up pretty easily to the side of the wheel, but it seems like as long as it is plugged into the car it stays on. Is there a setting or something that can make so it only turns on when the car is on? Or do I need to plug and unplug it whenever I want to use it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Plug and unplug. The OBD will always have power running to it. Rarely will it not. Maybe on some older cars when OBDII came out you have to supply power, but now a days it is what it is.

Set it up and make it easy for yourself. Maybe leave the cable to Port plugged in then when you hop in your car just hook cable up to AP. You'll figure out something to work for ya.

---Joe---

you can wire a switch to just flip it on and off but probably not worth it and to much money
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

I'm getting annoyed by the same problem. I usually just unplug it under the wheel, and dangle it over the ignition so I remember to plug it back in. There has to be SOMEONE who's figured out how to do something
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

figure out what pin its receiving power on.. then find what wire,tap the circuit and put a relay in place that's ignition triggered.

granted this would require cutting wires but its probably the easiest way to do what you guys want to do.

edit: pays to check out wiring diagrams first though.. always consult the schematics vs going in blind.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I am also looking for a solution to this.The only remedy would be ,like SPT2011 said,to add a switch,or like Shawn says through a relay,but I can't bring myself to splice the OBD-II cable because I won't be able to sell the AP ,if I want to later.

+ apparently leaving the AP on all the time causes the screen to burn in.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-24-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

why tap the ap harness when you can tap the one in the car? ... this isn't rocket science guys.. relays are your friends.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    why tap the ap harness when you can tap the one in the car? ... this isn't rocket science guys.. relays are your friends.

^This.. or simply wire in a switch. Either way it will take less than $3 spent at RadioShack and about five minutes worth of work.

I'm getting ready to wire in a stealthy switch that will kill illumination to all of my gauges.

Yes it will work. I keep mine plugged in under the steering wheel and keep it mounted next to my head unit with velcro. I unplug it from the ap not from under the steering wheel.
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    ^This.. or simply wire in a switch. Either way it will take less than $3 spent at RadioShack and about five minutes worth of work.

I'm getting ready to wire in a stealthy switch that will kill illumination to all of my gauges.

Here are the Videos for the AccessPort Wiring and Switch Operations.

The entire job cost me $9.99 for the AP mount and $7.99 for the switch. Wires and **** are cheap...

Wiring Layout Video: How to hook up Power Switch for Cobb AccessPort (Wiring) Part 1/2 - YouTube

Switch operation in car Video: How to AccessPort power switch Part 2/2 - YouTube

Hope this clears this up guys.

Its not hard at all! And the convenience is totally worth it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.