Cobb AccessPort Causing 04 WRX to not hold Boost????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobb AccessPort Causing 04 WRX to not hold Boost???? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have some questions i am new to the WRX scene. I just baught a 2004 WRX and the thing ...

Cobb AccessPort Causing 04 WRX to not hold Boost????

I have some questions i am new to the WRX scene. I just baught a 2004 WRX and the thing wont hold boost. I noticed that in the glove box there was a cobb access port setting there, i plugged it in and noticed it had the stage two tune. Now i know that the stage two tune requires a turbo back exhaust. The car has a 3 inch turbo back exhaust but no cats and i cant tell the company brand of the muffler. Now back to the main point of not holding boost! Could this not having a proper exhaust for this tune affect its ability to hold boost? Maybe its spooling up to fast and the waste gate is relieving all excess boost. I really have no idea im new to this WRX thing haha. Please any sugestions would help. Ok so maybe its not the access port that could be causing this problem it could be something else but just read on.

Oh and one more question could the seal be going out in the turbo. when i started up the car this weekend multiple time it smoked for a couple minutes untill it warmed up. Once warmed up no smoke. I also noticed a little bit of oil blow by from the turbo on the piping going to the intercooler right off the turbo. If i were to purchase a rebuild kit and rebuild the turbo would that be a good idea or not. Again any advice i would greately appreciate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The Accessport has nothing to do with it. You need to describe the problem better. FYI- The car is not going to hold the same boost level to redline. It will hit max boost around 3000rpm and hold it to about 4500rpm and then taper down from there to around 10psi by redline. The oil in the intercooler is most likely PVC blowby build up and is normal. It's the reason people run "catch cans". Just because you get a puff of oil from the exhaust does not automatically mean it's the turbo. Could very well be your valve seals or piston rings are going on one of the cylinders. Rebuilding a turbo is not for a novice.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Your boost curve will look a little different depending on your tune, and because you have a 2.0L engine, are at a different elevation, etc...

As Donkey says the amount of boost you'll see is a dynamic value depending on load, rpm, etc... This graph is from a WOT 3rd gear pull 2500 - 6500 rpm. The TD04 runs out of breath FAST.

...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Well thanks for the advice I didn't specify but its not tapering it jumps to 20 then drops to 12 and continues this while keeping my foot on the pedal. Oh and I would not be the one rebuilding the turbo because I am a "novice". I will post a video of it later today.

I Support ClubWRX
    Boost oscillation.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

So doing a little more research i have some new ideas of what the possible problem is. I think it is oscillating because of over boost. In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear there is no oscillation because the boost never gets over 15psi. But in a low RPM high gear like 4th or 5th gear roll it will start to build boost and shoot all the way up to 20 ta 22 then go down to 13 14 and continue to oscililate untill it hold a continuious 14 15. So making this observation i think that oscillation could be normal because over the over boost issue.

So what could be causing this over boost issue? If i were to adjust the wastegate arm and extend it could this possibly fix the issue of over boosting. Does extending the arm lower the boost and shorting it would increase it???? Again im new to the WRX scene and would love any helpfull information.

I have a data log but am not sure how to load it on here ya i probally sound like a DUMB ***. But i would like to see if someone could look at it and see if they see something out of the ordinary with it and help me with the confusing issue. But how to load it on here?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanos04WRX
    I have a data log but am not sure how to load it on here ya i probally sound like a DUMB ***. But i would like to see if someone could look at it and see if they see something out of the ordinary with it and help me with the confusing issue. But how to load it on here?
    Upload the log file to Google Docs
    Put inside [code*][/code*] tags (without the *)

Google Docs is ideal, as sometimes the code tags don't line up the columns that well...

UNYSOC

One more question im sure this wont help but ill still ask. I see on COBBs website they have a version of the stage 2 tune for vehicles not reaching target boost, Not this isnt the issue as you probally read but i am new to the Access Port and WRX world should i try it and try to adjust the wastegate arm or leave the tune and try to adjust the arm?

Lol thank you here is the Data Log....https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CLDLo68I

Sounds like maybe someone did the 3/16th mod to the vac hose restrictor/connector and there is now too much air let off when the BC solenoid opens so it's having problem stabilizing the boost early enough and thus over boosts, then it tries to lower the boost but it lowers too much thus starts to hunt for awhile before managing to stabilize... I would put in a smaller ID connector first before adjusting the wastegate arm... The connector is an in line connector/reducer past the "T" in the vac line off turbo that goes to wastegate and the BC solenoid.
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 05-10-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Now becasue i didnt continue the log or keep my foot on the pedal you cant see the oscilating issue. Tomorrow i will put up a new log and show a 4th gear low RPM roll all the way up to show excatly what it is doing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanos04WRX
    Lol thank you here is the Data Log....https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CLDLo68I
    There's no oscillation in the datalog you provided; boost goes up to 17.55 and then you let off the gas.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There's no oscillation in the datalog you provided; boost goes up to 17.55 and then you let off the gas.
    I know tomorrow im going to do another log to show the oscilation issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    Sounds like maybe someone did the 3/16th mod to the vac hose restrictor/connector and there is now too much air let off when the BC solenoid opens so it's having problem stabilizing the boost early enough and thus over boosts, then it tries to lower the boost but it lowers too much thus starts to hunt for awhile before managing to stabilize... I would put in a smaller ID connector first before adjusting the wastegate arm... The connector is an in line connector/reducer past the "T" in the vac line off turbo that goes to wastegate and the BC solenoid.

How and what do i do lol? There is line that come off the top of the wategate to the BC solenoid, But then there is a T in a line but one of the lines on the T goes to the Boost Gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast