To answer the age old question.. can a Subaru tech tell if you reflash the stock map?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on To answer the age old question.. can a Subaru tech tell if you reflash the stock map? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The answer is....... Maybe! Here's what I was told by a master certified Subaru mechanic that I worked with a ...

To answer the age old question.. can a Subaru tech tell if you reflash the stock map?

The answer is....... Maybe!

Here's what I was told by a master certified Subaru mechanic that I worked with a few years back. The Subaru Select Monitor 3 Cannot see if you tuned you car and then returned to the stock tune before you bring it in for service. All it sees is if the Checksum (ECU) identifier is a stock value, which it will be if you unmarry a COBB AP, or reflash your stock map using ECU flash. Although the value might not be the same as it was originally, there is no database of original values to compare to so there is no way they can see a previous flash.

Now the tricky part...this is what they say they do on large warranty jobs if there is a question. They will send the ECU to a warranty claim engineer and the engineer can actually look at the ROM data and make a determination based on a timestamp that is placed any time the ECU is flashed, and possibly deny a claim based on that info. The SSM3 does not have this capability, it cannot read the time stamp and therefore cannot tell when the stock reflash was done. Hope this is a clear explanation based on a very reliable source who would give it to me straight. If anyone else has any input on this, feel free and I'll try to get some more answers.

Thanks!
    JD
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    so in my opinion 2.0RS was correct, he did state that an engineer would look at the information. Personally I think Subaru needs to address the direction the warranty work goes. If there was another vehicle at the wrx/sti price point that was as fun to drive and was as easily/cheaply modable as the subaru I would be driving it instead. After my issues with SoA were not resolved because of a cat back exhaust on my 2005 STi supposedly causing my spoiler to break I have fixed everything on my own.

You must pay to play.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Thanks man... I knew that other guy was full of it... I figured they could if they were to actually send it to an engineer, but not via SSM3... I have a little bit of experence with GM's Tech 2 and haven't found a way to check for stuff like this...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    GMs tech 2 is no where near the technology of the ssm3. tech 2 is 11 years old

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    GMs tech 2 is no where near the technology of the ssm3. tech 2 is 11 years old
    That's true... my company's equipment needs to be upgraded pretty bad...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    With the abundance of highly skilled, careful owners driving these cars into large immobile objects routinely, how rare is a virgin used ECU on the spare parts market? Would a spare ECU not circumvent any known efforts to ID a flash/unflash sequence since the entire unit would be replaced?

The total cost should not exceed that of a standalone unit, which in effect the spare ECU would become.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    With the abundance of highly skilled, careful owners driving these cars into large immobile objects routinely, how rare is a virgin used ECU on the spare parts market? Would a spare ECU not circumvent any known efforts to ID a flash/unflash sequence since the entire unit would be replaced?

The total cost should not exceed that of a standalone unit, which in effect the spare ECU would become.
    Dont give away my secret for the 2011 sti..... lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Toward that end (the secret we're not giving away) it would be helpful to know which ECUs are cross-compatible with which model years.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Toward that end (the secret we're not giving away) it would be helpful to know which ECUs are cross-compatible with which model years.
    I know on a Honda I can tell what model year the ecu came out of, not sure how advanced a subaru tool is since I was never a subaru tech.

I Support ClubWRX
    The idea would be therefore that the spare ECU is used for flashing, the original ECU is mothballed.

EDIT: Provided the newer cars still store odometer data in the cluster itself and not the ECU.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-04-2011 at 03:06 PM.

EDIT: Provided the newer cars still store odometer data in the cluster itself and not the ECU.
    I believe this is still the case.
    Stink eye mob #727

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Thanks man... I knew that other guy was full of it... I figured they could if they were to actually send it to an engineer, but not via SSM3...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Me too, though I'll be happy to be proven wrong if somebody knows better. Can't you ask the tech that gave you the info in your original post?
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 04-06-2011 at 12:25 AM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Can't you ask the tech that gave you the info in your original post?
    I can ask, I just didn't think of it at the time.
    Stink eye mob #727

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post

That all depends on the car. Some are stored in the cluster, some in the BCM, and some in the PCM/ECM.

The odometer memory chip is attached to the cluster, at least up to 2009, not sure about newer than that. He's not 100% sure about swapping out ECMs, but if they are from the same year it shouldn't make a difference. Swapping with other years he can't say.
    Stink eye mob #727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast