EGT sensor Mod
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EGT sensor Mod within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone I have a 04 wrx ej20 and I have hread about an egt sensor mod bc I have ...

EGT sensor Mod

Hey everyone I have a 04 wrx ej20 and I have hread about an egt sensor mod bc I have gone threw two in like 3 months what would cause this? Also has anyone done this mod and what are the concerns when you do this mod?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bsr pika wrx View Post
    Hey everyone I have a 04 wrx ej20 and I have hread about an egt sensor mod bc I have gone threw two in like 3 months what would cause this? Also has anyone done this mod and what are the concerns when you do this mod?
    This post is very cryptic... to what "EGT sensor mod" are you referring? Based on experience, I'm going to assume that you are referring to replacing the EGT sensor with the 2.2Kohm resistor when replacing the UP. Have you replaced the uppipe? If not and you are throwing CELs related to the EGT, you may be having other issues...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

yeah sorry about the cryptic nature of my thread and yes that is the mod i'm talking about because i don't really know about the mod hread it threw word of mouth and yes i have replaced the up pipe and the header why would i be throwing these codes?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bsr pika wrx View Post
    yeah sorry about the cryptic nature of my thread and yes that is the mod i'm talking about because i don't really know about the mod hread it threw word of mouth and yes i have replaced the up pipe and the header why would i be throwing these codes?
    You are throwing a CEL because your ECU is monitoring the EGT and is receiving no signal. The EGT sensor was placed in the UP to monitor the health of the catalytic convetor. If your EGTs become too hot, you could potentially damage the cat. Since you are now catless, there is no purpose for the EGT in its stock location; the correct location to monitor the EGT is in your headers immediately following your exhaust valves. The easiest way to fix this: place a 2.2Kohm 1/2 watt resistor in the connector that used to connect to your EGT sensor. 2.2Kohms is a value that is consistent with a healthy EGT reading as monitored by the absent sensor. If you are running catless, there are not concerns. If you are still catted (which I know you're not), EGTs could get high enough to break-down the cat.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

^ well said

Question

Hay what's up guys.. So I have been trying to do this resistor mod for a couple of days and just can't get it to work.. I have a 03 impreza

The issue: I have replaced the EGT 3 times now then found this thread and decided to give it a try (cheaper that spending $350 and have it break with in 3 miles). so I am getting the P0546 and P0546 Pd code.

What I have done: I bought a package of the 2.2 ohm (1/2 watt) resistors and have located the Egt sensor connector on the passenger side under a black plastic cover held on by two quarter turn thumb screws and pulled the third connector down and attempted the resistor mod twice now. Both times cleared the code via scanner and drove it, each time I drive it 3-7 MI and the CEL comes back on with the P0546 and P0546 Pd codes. am I doing something wrong? I haven't soldered it or any thing. the first time I tried it I trimmed a little off the resistor legs and stuck them straight down the connector, then did it again not cutting the resistor but just bending (doubling over) the legs of the resistor, and still the CEL comes back on.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I hope you don't still have the old probe in or the stock up-pipe. That said I don't know what to tell ya. Could be a wiring harness issue. You would have to back probe the wires with a multi-meter to test.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yes I left the old EGT sensor in the up pipe (without the probe attached) and yes I still the stock up pipe.. why would either of those make me pull a code if I stick the resistor in the female side of the sensor it should just read the loop?? What is the voltage down stream of the connector should I be looking for?
    Last edited by Nate Hurd; 07-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.