Check engine light - Misfire in cylinder 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Check engine light - Misfire in cylinder 4 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the check engine light came on and and I had Autozone pull the code and it was for a ...

Check engine light - Misfire in cylinder 4

So the check engine light came on and and I had Autozone pull the code and it was for a misfire in cylinder 4. Does that mean its constantly misfiring or would one misfire set it off? It runs the same as it did before and the plugs have about 2000 miles on them. Ive only had the car maybe 4 months (2003 WRX) and it has 118k on it. Its always had a hesitation thing off the line at low RPMs until you wound it up but I assumed that was the so called turbo lag these things have. But I assume the light would have come on sooner if that's the case.

Do you think a bad coil pack or injector would cause it or could it be a one time misfire that set off the light?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't get a response right away nothing is stopping you from using the search feature on this site or Google . There is probably over hundred threads on here about misfires..........

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...43&postcount=7

It takes more than one misfire to set it off.
    Last edited by Donkey; 09-09-2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I was waiting for a do a search comment .

I searched but didn't find anything that related to the check engine light and a misfire. On the other hand that link you posted had some good info though

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Misfires can be caused by a LOT of different things. The hesitation in the lower end makes me wonder about the health of your engine though. Have you ever had a compression and leakdown test done? Might be a good time to do it.

Could be an improperly gapped spark plug, a misseated coil, bad coil, bad spark plug, dirty injector, clogged fuel filter, fuel pump on it's way out and any number of things in between and outside that range.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I think I may just take it in and let them figure it out. I just replaced the plugs and fuel filter 2000 miles ago. Since Ive only had the car a few months I have no idea whats been done to it etc. Hopefully they can tell without trying to replace things that don't need replacing.

So turbo lag doesn't consist of any hesitation in the low RPM range mainly in first? If I rev it up more when starting off the line it seems ok.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wasisnt View Post
    I think I may just take it in and let them figure it out. I just replaced the plugs and fuel filter 2000 miles ago. Since Ive only had the car a few months I have no idea whats been done to it etc. Hopefully they can tell without trying to replace things that don't need replacing.

So turbo lag doesn't consist of any hesitation in the low RPM range mainly in first? If I rev it up more when starting off the line it seems ok.
    Turbo lag is a lack of power in the lower end, yes. However, excess hestitation to the point of bogging isn't exactly what I would call normal. Misfire plus an overly lack of power makes me think something is going on.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Every single misfire thread on here has to do with getting a CEL,because if they didn't have a CEL they would even have known they had a misfire or what cylinder. Just for future reference if you have another issue,if you actually search the DTC code # (IE: P0301,P0457) you might get better hits. Turbos are load dependent. They take much longer to spool in 1st gear than they do in 4th or 5th gear. Also its help full when posting about a problem to list your mods and describe the problem in detail.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...hp?t=134326138
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Misfire help too

Hey guys I have a 2003 wrx with forged mahale pistons stock bore, eagle h-beam rods, sti 565 pinks, ihi vf34 turbo, comp clutch light weight flywheel, comp clutch stage 4 clutch, agency power light weight crank pulley, ported and polished tb, perrin cold air intake, perrin turbo inlet tube, catless bell-mouth down pipe, unequal length header, catless up-pipe, greddy evo!! 3 inch exhaust, hks ground kit. I have a misfire on cyl #3. and then i have a misfire code on all of the cylinders. i have read the post about the misfires and i canno fix mine. I have repoaced all of the coil packs and the spark plugs. cleaned the maf. reflasjed the vf34 cobb map and reset the ecu and i still keep getting misfies. my car has a real rough idle i know its from a vac leak but this problem has been occurring long before the vac leak. please help. oh the cobb map is a ots from their web-site. thanks Tom

For Sell

if i cant fix the issue i am going to sell my car. which sucks because i had the bottom end built from outfront motorsports in ca hey first 9,000.00 takes it.
    send me your number and i can send you pics it has a fmic now

Im new to the turbo thing so Im figuring it out as I go... or as it breaks. There are no mods done to the car and it has 118k miles on it.

I also noticed today that it will hesitate in other gears if its under 3k RPM. Its not a bad hesitation but noticeable.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshi11 View Post
    if i cant fix the issue i am going to sell my car. which sucks because i had the bottom end built from outfront motorsports in ca hey first 9,000.00 takes it.
    send me your number and i can send you pics it has a fmic now
    Its because you have a lightened crank pulley and lightned flywheel. Opensource tuning can fix that problem in minutes..........

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?p=9878792
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ That was actually something I noted as well while reading the list. It was always old school advice to never do both at the same time.

Also, you cannot use that map for those mods. Custom tuning is required.

I Support ClubWRX
    Im new to the turbo thing so Im figuring it out as I go... or as it breaks. There are no mods done to the car and it has 118k miles on it.

I also noticed today that it will hesitate in other gears if its under 3k RPM. Its not a bad hesitation but noticeable.
    Check the plug gap. It should be between .028-.032. Also make sure you have the right plugs. Denso and NGK work best. Any of the Bosch +2 and +4 plugs cause issues for some reason. Also try cleaning the MAF and checking for post MAF leaks or vacuum leaks. The turbo inlet pipes are notorious for tearing and vacuum lines will get brittle as they get older. Try switching the coil packs around on the drivers side. The #4 is towards the fire wall and the #2 is at the front. Mark the #4,switch the coil packs,then clear the code. If the DTC comes back as the #2 cylinder this time its the coil pack. If it still comes back as the #4 cylinder then it might be a clogged/dirty injector. Also running some injector cleaner a couple of tanks might be a good idea as well. But I really don't know if your definition of hesitation is just normal turbo lag. Stock 02-05 WRX's do not spool up fast like a stage 2 WRX with a catless up-pipe. Its a night and day difference.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I have an 03 WRX as well and I have thrown a few misfire codes in the last couple months as well. Still haven't found the issue but it's only happened twice in 2 months. But, I didn't come in here to talk about the misfire, so much as the hesitation. I am new to this whole AWD thing as well, I think I may know what you are talking about, but I could be wrong. It took me a while to get used to taking off in 1st gear without stalling the car or having the car "hesitate" when taking off. I have found that you have to rev to a higher RPM than what you may be used to in RWD or FWD cars. Trying to start moving at 1500 RPM's won't always cut it, and if you don't stall it is a very slow or jerky start to say the least. Also, if you are in 2nd or 3rd gear below 3,000 RPM's it is going to "hesitate" until the turbo spools up and getting down closer to 2,000 RPM's is almost a crawl until you reach 3,000 or higher. I hope this helps. Good luck with the CEL, and let me know what you find out because I may still have a similar issue.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #318.
    2003 WRB WRX w/Gold Rota SDR 17x7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.