Check engine light - Misfire in cylinder 4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Check engine light - Misfire in cylinder 4 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by brfatal ^ That was actually something I noted as well while reading the list. It was always ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    ^ That was actually something I noted as well while reading the list. It was always old school advice to never do both at the same time.
    Yup. Hell,even my ACT 14lb flywheel gave me misfire codes and I don't even have a crank pulley. Its hit or miss sometimes. The bugeyes were notorious for phantom misfire problems even stock. Mainly the 02's.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yup. Hell,even my ACT 14lb flywheel gave me misfire codes and I don't even have a crank pulley. Its hit or miss sometimes. The bugeyes were notorious for phantom misfire problems even stock. Mainly the 02's.
    I have a lightened flywheel. I wonder if that could be causing my misfire issue. I should replace it, since it chatters like a SOB anyways.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #318.
    2003 WRB WRX w/Gold Rota SDR 17x7

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by loren83 View Post
    I have a lightened flywheel. I wonder if that could be causing my misfire issue. I should replace it, since it chatters like a SOB anyways.
    The only flywheel I ever had that threw a CEL was the old Cobb one that they no longer make. My Exedy hasn't done it in the 30k it's been used and Heather's ACT (oddly enough the same one Donkey has) hasn't either. All of them chatter(ed) really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    The only flywheel I ever had that threw a CEL was the old Cobb one that they no longer make. My Exedy hasn't done it in the 30k it's been used and Heather's ACT (oddly enough the same one Donkey has) hasn't either. All of them chatter(ed) really bad.
    Ok thanks. So I guess it's back to the drawing board on the CEL then. I am replacing the valve cover gaskets (passenger side is leaking on the exhast) and the spark plugs next week. Also installing a new starter because this one grinds from time to time. Maybe when I replace the plugs I will find my issue. BTW my flywheel is Findanzda, it was on the car when I bought it. The chatter drives me insane because I like to drive with my stereo off from time to time and just listen to the car, and it sounds so terrible I feel like people are going to stare at me with that "what a piece of crap" look when it happens.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #318.
    2003 WRB WRX w/Gold Rota SDR 17x7

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If it's their 9 lb flywheel I wouldn't doubt it's causing issues.

not sure if this fits into your problem... when i bought my car it was throwing EC for misfire on cylinders 1 and 3. did a compression check had 0 psi and 60 psi between the 2.

had burnt exhaust valves... rebuilt the top end car runs good still working on some issues due to taking over a car that was modded and having no info what has been done.

it still idles rough at some times does not throw a cell anymore but the o2 sensor has come loose a couple times causing it to sound like crap.

my car is set up to run stage 2 i dont think the guy had it flashed or tuned so i think that is throwing off the ecu pretty bad. sometimes you can smell like its flooding the engine but with the previous owner buring the exhaust valves makes me want to think it was running lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Misfires can be caused by a LOT of different things. The hesitation in the lower end makes me wonder about the health of your engine though. Have you ever had a compression and leakdown test done? Might be a good time to do it.

Could be an improperly gapped spark plug, a misseated coil, bad coil, bad spark plug, dirty injector, clogged fuel filter, fuel pump on it's way out and any number of things in between and outside that range.
    I'd check the coil pack....my story was a bit interesting in that regard. I was driving from MA to NH, had no problems. Soon as I'm about to PARK in NH...CEL starts BLINKING. Goes away after a few minutes...end of the day, I drive him...starts misfiring like crazy...thought maybe I needed to change my air filter (cause it was dirty...). That seemed to work. Got back to MA, next day same prob. Took it to the stealership, they looked at it and said it was the clip that clips into the coil pack (my #4 wasn't secured on tight enough).
    Bugeye Mafia #155

Friends don't let friends drive stock.
    Racing a neon is like fighting a girl: you can't brag about it if you win, and you don't want anyone to know if you lose.
    facebook

So I had my appt to take it in today to have it checked out and of course the check engine light is off this morning. I took it in anyway and they said it was misfiring on all cylinders and they checked the fuel and ignition systems and they were fine. They said there was some issue with the software and it looked like someone had tried to modify it maybe and never finished it out. So they wiped it out and re-flashed it and so far the hesitation is gone and they said the misfire is gone too. I got on it from a rolling start in second on the freeway on ramp and it was quite impressive compared to how it normally goes when getting on it.

I recently bought a 2003 wrx and my check engine light came on. I took it to autozone and the code came back as a cylinder 4 misfire, so I replaced the plug and coil pack but it is still misfiring. I also put injector cleaner in it and this is my second day running the cleaner but it's still running the same. any idea what it could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Mark View Post
    I recently bought a 2003 wrx and my check engine light came on. I took it to autozone and the code came back as a cylinder 4 misfire, so I replaced the plug and coil pack but it is still misfiring. I also put injector cleaner in it and this is my second day running the cleaner but it's still running the same. any idea what it could be?
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Mark View Post
    This is an old thread but since then my car is gone because one of the cylinders lost most of it compression (90%) and one of the other cylinders had a loss of compression as well. The dealer wanted $6700 to put in a used engine so I sold it as is.

The check engine light came on again and it started sputtering so I took it in and the rest is history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12