I think my accessport just fried my ECU
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on I think my accessport just fried my ECU within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was uninstalling it in preparation for a tweaked tune using my new Tactrix cable ... I've been on the ...

I Support ClubWRX

Angry My accessport just fried my ECU

I was uninstalling it in preparation for a tweaked tune using my new Tactrix cable ...

I've been on the phone with Cobb for ~30 minutes or so ... they just suggested disconnecting the ECU and let it sit.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-18-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ...staying tuned
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    It does not look good.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Also staying tuned. What else has Cobb said? I do not like hearing this....

I Support ClubWRX
    I've been speaking with Chris at Cobb - he has been very helpful.

I have a v1 AP bought new back in July 2004. It's been flawless ... last used in April to flash my latest Protune.

Long story short - we have placed the AP into service mode which essentially renders the AP useless. All it is now capable of doing is reverting to stock. This is the best shot at getting the ECU to work again.

I've disconnected the ECU to fully reset it and am waiting to try again.

Chris said that the old v1 APs are starting to age with some simply failing. I think that's where the one I have is at.
    Mods & Pics

Should I be worried about my AP? I too have a V1, bought in June of 2005. I think that's about the last time I used it too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin View Post
    Should I be worried about my AP?
    Possibly. Chris said the vast majority of the v1s are OK, but they are starting to see failures. Add one to the list.
    Mods & Pics

Is Cobb going to replace your ECU or are you put of luck. I like Cobb, I hope that they make you whole if your ECU is fried.

I'm glad that that they have been helpful too. I guess that's one of the great things about Cobb and other name brands...they stand by their products.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is Cobb going to replace your ECU or are you put of luck. I like Cobb, I hope that they make you whole if your ECU is fried.
    No replacement - I'm SOL there. That's to be expected. They offered to try to recover the ECU, but that would involve 2 way shipping and waiting. The price for this was never mentioned if there is one.

The WRX is my only transportation - I need an ECU ASAP. I've found some salvage yards online that say they have them in stock. I'll call them tomorrow. I also have a neighbor who can get me Subaru parts at nearly wholesale. I expect that will be $400 - $500 for new.

NASIOC is not working well right now ... I'd like to see if any are for sale there.

My new paperweight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG8166.jpg  
    Mods & Pics

I'm sorry to hear about your new paperweight. That's really S*****. Here's hoping that your DD is not down for long. Is this just an AP issue, or is it possible for anyone whether they are running Cobb AP or anything else? Also, does this mean your V1 AP is toast as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    Is this just an AP issue, or is it possible for anyone whether they are running Cobb AP or anything else? Also, does this mean your V1 AP is toast as well?
    The AP decided to fail today during the uninstall. Maybe it sensed I was done with it.

As I mentioned above, the AP is now in service mode. It has only one function now - to attempt to revert to stock mode. It is not responding well to commands. The AP is also a paperweight.

I knew from the start getting into tuning carried some risk. I was one of the unfortunate few who had a bad experience. Oh well.

Once I get the WRX back up and running I plan to continue to tweak and tune the replacement ECU with the new Tactrix open port unit I just got. I have the tune from the now toasty ECU saved as a ROM file and will be able to get right back to where I left off. This is good.

I'm also very proud of myself for keeping my cool and not getting the least bit upset about this.

I am now going to enjoy some really great beer of a yet to be determined quantity and hope for the best in finding an ECU tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Congrats on keeping your cool. That alone is worth some suds.

Hope you get up & running soon.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post

I'm also very proud of myself for keeping my cool and not getting the least bit upset about this.

I am now going to enjoy some really great beer of a yet to be determined quantity and hope for the best in finding an ECU tomorrow.
    bravo! It's just a car, you know how to fix it. It sucks, but there are risks to tuning. I figured that you kept your cool, at least by your explanation I deduced it.

Here's hoping the beer eases the pain of the cash your going to have to shell out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Broken car brains............... Hope your quest for new car brains is successful!!
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    bravo! It's just a car, you know how to fix it. It sucks, but there are risks to tuning. I figured that you kept your cool, at least by your explanation I deduced it.

Here's hoping the beer eases the pain of the cash your going to have to shell out.
    It's not the cash (unless I have to buy new), but the hassle of obtaining a replacement that's annoying. And figuring out how to get to work on Monday. I've got a very important set of tasks I must do Monday afternoon.

The beer is working nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Broken car brains............... Hope your quest for new car brains is successful!!
    How eloquent!
    Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast