Subaru WRX Forum banner

Finally got a Protune today …

8K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  pepe8892 
#1 · (Edited)
Wow – I have a different car now! I installed a Deadbolt Monster TD04 with all available spool fast options last summer using an off the shelf Cobb stage 2 map. The spoolup was noticeably faster, but did not make big numbers on the butt dyno.

Prior to the Monster the WRX pulled 231 awdhp, 230 awdtq on a DynoJet. Pretty good for an OTS map.

A GM boost control solenoid was added just prior to the tune today. The baseline numbers on the graph are the roller coaster-like broken lines. The OTS map did not know how to deal with the new solenoid. After several dyno pulls and many tuning tweaks, Hill at Agile Automotive arrived at the results below. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/after...w/134313721-big-thumbup-agile-automotive.html

Nice torque number, eh? Boost maxes out at 19 psi. All in all I am quite happy with the results.

The full pic gallery: Protune pictures by 04sptwrx - Photobucket

The gauge pics are stills from an .avi I shot while the WRX was on the dyno. They show just how fast and strong the boost comes on. In fourth gear full boost is achieved at a little over 3000 rpm. :D

4000 rpm

5000 rpm

Redline

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice, Bill! I didn't know you were planning all of this. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this thing at the Victory Meet. Maybe I can even drive it? :redface:

Also I have to say, I think that you have built one of the nicest streetable Subaru's I've seen. Nicely done.

#23 ·
What hp/tq numbers did it make? I can't see the pictures because my network blocks whatever site you used to host them. Thanks.
By the way, I way jealous of the Monster TD04. I always thought that I would like to get one when my stock TD04 bit the dust, but that probably won't happen now that Deadbolt is no more.

G
#28 ·
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been considering this option for a while now. I know Deadbolt is no longer, but I am eye balling the Blouch service. 19T compressor upgrade... about 450 CFMs I'm thinking? I know it'll die off at top end... but wicked fast spool up and I'm glad I saw some numbers finally. You have similar mods as I, and I think for $420, this is a reasonable price with results. Protune not included. See complete list for details. Not available at all stores. Prices and participation may vary.

#29 ·
any link on how to install boost gauge?

#30 ·
This thread is from 2009. If you need a DIY on a boost gauge install... use the search, or start your own thread. It's against general forum etiquette to "bump" a thread with an off topic question.

I'll PM you with instructions for a boost gauge installation.

#31 ·
my bad i do apologize

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.