Need help with 2.5l swap (long)

This is a discussion on Need help with 2.5l swap (long) within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently took a job as service manager at a Subaru store, and I am trying to help a customer. ...

Need help with 2.5l swap (long)

I recently took a job as service manager at a Subaru store, and I am trying to help a customer.

He has an 05 WRX and put an 07 engine in it. There's a story behind it, but it seems mostly irrelevant, I think.

He had the harness done, installed everything and brought it to us to flash the ECU. There is no communication with the ECU. I guess the shop who did the harness is supposed to be pretty good, but I really don't know where to start.

Please forgive some of my ignorance, I'm still learning Subi-speak, but I've been working with cars for the last 15 years.

The car cranks, cooling fans come on, not sure if fuel pump is energizing. He has the ECU from the 07 and a new immobilizer. It has always been my understanding that lack of communication comes down to wiring, lack of power to ECU or a faulty ECU. Would the fuses and power distribution be from an 05 or 07?

The guy seems to have to have done a nice job on the install, I know he has some money wrapped up in this, and I would like to try to help him. This is not something we see everyday, and I'd like to get some ideas where to start. I don't want to see him have to spend anymore than he has too with me for this.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    why did he go with the 07 ECU? The 07 longblock, with an 05 throttlebody and ECU with a reflash, would have been my choice.. Cable-throttle FTMFW

dunno if Subaru is the same, but the Immobilizer in VW requires 06+ motor swaps to retain the 06+ dash harness and cluster. I.E. 07 1.8t swap in a 95 golf requires the 07 cluster, harness, and ecu to be used, as well..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

He does have the 07 ECU, I do not know if the dash harness was changed. I do not know if the 07 ECU is any good, as the car it came from was wrecked.(how it was stored, damage from impact etc)