Yes, you need an EM for engine mods - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Yes, you need an EM for engine mods within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so the DP isn't part of cat back exhaust? what if you have a cat in the DP.... if I ...

so the DP isn't part of cat back exhaust? what if you have a cat in the DP.... if I had an invidia(bellmouth) downpipe with invidia catback I would need a tune since it's a bellmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    See diagram above. The TBE (turbo-back exhaust) includes replacement of everything from the turbo back: downpipe, mid pipe and cat back sections. The CBE (cat-back exhaust) replaces only the cat back section, everything after the cat in the midpipe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazecam View Post
    so the DP isn't part of cat back exhaust? what if you have a cat in the DP.... if I had an invidia(bellmouth) downpipe with invidia catback I would need a tune since it's a bellmouth
    No it is not. The downpipe itself has a cat as does the midpipe. The midpipe has the last cat in it, and so people judge the cat back section by this. Invidias downpipe replaces both the downpipe and midpipe sections of the exhaust, making them one unit. The catback section should always remain the same length.

Tuning being required or not really depends on the year of the vehicle. 02-03 WRX's do not require a tune, though to get any gains out of it, you will want a tune. 04+ WRX's and STi's require a tune for bellmouth downpipes, yes.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

thanks you cleared up alot for me

No it is not. The downpipe itself has a cat as does the midpipe. The midpipe has the last cat in it, and so people judge the cat back section by this. Invidias downpipe replaces both the downpipe and midpipe sections of the exhaust, making them one unit. The catback section should always remain the same length.

Tuning being required or not really depends on the year of the vehicle. 02-03 WRX's do not require a tune, though to get any gains out of it, you will want a tune. 04+ WRX's and STi's require a tune for bellmouth downpipes, yes.

what kind of gain would I be looking at +5-10hp?

turbo spool difference?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazecam View Post
    what kind of gain would I be looking at +5-10hp?

turbo spool difference?
    With just an exhaust or with tuning?

You'll get some spooling characteristic differences, yes, gains, maybe 10hp at the most I would think, without tuning that is.

With tuning, however, expect 25%+ increase in overall power.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

hey i'm looking for a little help i have a 2002 wrx auto i have done some bolt on mods so far and i think my next thing to do is tune the car. i was trying to decide between cobb accessport or having a performance shop tune the car. please let me know what you think or any recommendations any one might have mods on the car as of right now

grimmspeed ported and polished headers
    greddy catless uppipe
    hks 3 inch catless downpipe
    3 inch catless midpipe
    borla catback exhaust
    k&n short ram intake

I Support ClubWRX
    Custome tune, definitely.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

well i was thinking the cobb tuner cause i have some one selling one for 475 and if i get it tuned at the shop they flash the cars computer and its like that for the life of the car cobb can be unmarried and be put back to stock

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wordwrx
    well i was thinking the cobb tuner cause i have some one selling one for 475 and if i get it tuned at the shop they flash the cars computer and its like that for the life of the car cobb can be unmarried and be put back to stock
    If you go OpenECU, anyone with a tactrix cable would be able to reflash your ECU back to stock just like unmarrying the AP.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

im really leaning more towards the accessport i mean do they have maps that would work with my car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wordwrx View Post
    im really leaning more towards the accessport i mean do they have maps that would work with my car?
    You could use a stage 2 map for your setup, but the intake and the header are two variables that the map does not count for which is why I suggested a custom tune. A custom tune will run you the same amount of money as that AccessPort will, and will be an infinitely better map.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Hi All,
    I am hoping you can help me. I own a JDM 06 hawkeye WRX which has the EJ205d engine in it. I have been trying Vishnu, Cobb, and every place you can think about so i can have the ecu tune but been getting nothing but grief.
    Does anyone here know how I can go about tuning the ECU for this car? The parts I will tune for would be a TBE, perrin TMIC, Perrin crank pulley, and a high flow panel filter.

Please help

Many thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Ecuflash or Ecutek.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Ecuflash or Ecutek.
    do you know where I could purchase or download maps for my car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.