Yes, you need an EM for engine mods - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Yes, you need an EM for engine mods within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking into the Vi-pec V44 for my 97 WRX. One of the most praised features I can see ...

I am looking into the Vi-pec V44 for my 97 WRX. One of the most praised features I can see in it, is it's Auto-tune ability.

But in the manual, it states to run the auto-tune in a controlled scenario (eg Dyno) So the "Quick and simple user-friendly" Tuning method, still requires a $500 trip to the tuner, which is no easier then any other ECU.

Am I correct in saying this? Or can this auto tune feature be used with all 4 wheels jacked up, or on a long abandoned road?

Do all ECU's need a Dyno for a tune? I will be doing my WRX up progressively and think spending $500 for possible 3-4 tunes a bit much.

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the controlled scenario might be for legal and safety purposes.I "road tune" mine and my friends cars.Most dyno tunes clean up with some logging on the road.Find a nice stretch of road with out traffic and safely do some third gear pulls.The Vi-pec looks pretty impressive.It comes with datalogging software so that can be used to double check the tune.Most dyno shops will have a wideband AFR sensor to use for tuning so you might want to invest in one or there will be no way to know if your fueling is spot on.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

hey i got something you can add to this post related to short ram intakes

aps short ram
    All the intakes we sell have properly sized MAF housings that should NOT change your air/fuel readings. They all flow about the same; we observed five hp at the wheels using the Blitz SUS system on an otherwise stock 2.0 WRX.
    source: Short Ram Intakes - Intake

i believe this also goes for the perrin and cobb short ram aswell..

you may want to reword it to, anything with a different size maf housing other than the stock size will cause the car to run lean.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by habitatxskate View Post
    hey i got something you can add to this post related to short ram intakes

aps short ram
    All the intakes we sell have properly sized MAF housings that should NOT change your air/fuel readings. They all flow about the same; we observed five hp at the wheels using the Blitz SUS system on an otherwise stock 2.0 WRX.
    source: Short Ram Intakes - Intake

i believe this also goes for the perrin and cobb short ram aswell..

{above text taken from fastwrx.com}

you may want to reword it to, anything with a different size maf housing other than the stock size will cause the car to run lean.
    key words: SHOULD NOT
    I've seen some do it anyway, because of the open air filament, but they're right, stock MAF housing diameter is the key.
    I DID, however, experience AFR differentiations in WHERE the MAF was located. In my CAI, simply moving my maf to a different location eliminated 99% of my stalling/stumbling issues, and smoothed out my AFR readings. Turbulence was the factor, I believe, in the changes in AFRs that I was seeing.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    key words: SHOULD NOT
    I've seen some do it anyway, because of the open air filament, but they're right, stock MAF housing diameter is the key.
    I DID, however, experience AFR differentiations in WHERE the MAF was located. In my CAI, simply moving my maf to a different location eliminated 99% of my stalling/stumbling issues, and smoothed out my AFR readings. Turbulence was the factor, I believe, in the changes in AFRs that I was seeing.
    Very wise words right there. Where did you find was the best place to mount the MAF?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Just curious... Do I need EM?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    Very wise words right there. Where did you find was the best place to mount the MAF?
    after moving it several times, it actually ended up being in a longer straight section, down by the CAI filter.. yes, i moved my MAF sensor down inside the fenderwell, just behind the bumper.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    after moving it several times, it actually ended up being in a longer straight section, down by the CAI filter.. yes, i moved my MAF sensor down inside the fenderwell, just behind the bumper.
    Whatever works.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by copternadle View Post
    I ordered the same borla exhaust too, and love the way it sounds it also looks very nice. I have people asking me all the time what kind of exhaust it is because it sounds so good. I got mine from borla parts here, borla 11760 and was pleased with the price a delivery time. You should also check craigslist sometimes you can find a used set.
    You seem to be having some problems with posting in the right thread, or you're purposely spamming

Great thread, thanks!

3) A Turboback exhaust (TBE) includes a bellmouth Downpipe (DP). The DP allows your turbo to boost higher, and produce more power. With that, if your ECU is not telling your injectors to supply more fuel, and adjust the timing, to compensate for the added boost.... then once again, lean conditions and boost
    So if I buy a TBE would I also need to buy a bellmouth DP with it? Is it the same with those cat downpipes and the catback exhausts? Or are they all interchangeable? As you can tell I know nothing about this stuff so please fill me in! Thank you
    Last edited by Rogan; 01-29-2010 at 06:00 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=OliverJames][QUOTE]
    3) A Turboback exhaust (TBE) includes a bellmouth Downpipe (DP). The DP allows your turbo to boost higher, and produce more power. With that, if your ECU is not telling your injectors to supply more fuel, and adjust the timing, to compensate for the added boost.... then once again, lean conditions and boost

So if I buy a TBE would I also need to buy a bellmouth DP with it? Is it the same with those cat downpipes and the catback exhausts? Or are they all interchangeable? As you can tell I know nothing about this stuff so please fill me in! Thank you
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ohhhh thanks a bunch I get it now!

what is the difference between TBE and CBE?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazecam View Post
    what is the difference between TBE and CBE?
    See diagram above. The TBE (turbo-back exhaust) includes replacement of everything from the turbo back: downpipe, mid pipe and cat back sections. The CBE (cat-back exhaust) replaces only the cat back section, everything after the cat in the midpipe.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast