Protune vs. Cobb Access port - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Protune vs. Cobb Access port within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thank you that answers alot of questions I had, now I understand the pro's and con's of each its just ...

Thank you that answers alot of questions I had, now I understand the pro's and con's of each its just a matter of desciding which route I wanna go. I think I will pick up the cobb or perrin ap though for the added benefit of being able to remap almost at any time I choose. I really appreciate the time and effort you went to answer my question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    \

Not exactly.

The Great Cobb AP vs Open Source debate has occurred several times here. I see the need for both, which is why both are doing very well.

Benefits of AP:

1. Plug and play, Caveman with 0 tuning knowledge could do it.
    2. Supported by a huge company with a good rep. Simply, you have a problem, givem a call and its taken care of. Same on the vendors end.
    3. They have a rather large vendor network. Means products are available, tech support through vendors.
    4. Tuning support. Since the AP is a licensed product, vendors stand to make $$$ (and have recourse if something goes wrong) thus more offer tuning/protuning/dyno tuning services with it.
    5. Constant updates. More and more functionality and car models are added to the AP all the time.
    6. Functionality. It reads codes, resets ecu, flashes maps, real time data/gauges, maps, estimates performance, has a whole slew of other goodies, slices,dices, etc.
    7. Lots of dealerships carry it. This helps on the warranty front, because my local dealer is a cobb dealer. If I buy the AP and mods through them and have installed, they will honor my warranty. (SOA may not, but they will I asked)
    8. Built in flash safety mechanism and low voltage mechanism. Very hard to ruin your computer.

Cons:

1. Price. Its fixed at $695.
    2. Can only use it one 1 car, its "married"
    3. Until the new ST comes out, you have to rely on a vendor for a custom map (at $300-$400).
    4. no data logging

Total price for a protune (just EM wise) $995-$1095.

Open Source w/ tactrix cable

benefits:

1. Can use on more than one car.
    2. Can build as many maps as you want via your lap top.
    3. Can data log.
    4. Functionality is computer ECU and software limited essentially not harware limited.
    5. can get a protune
    6. If you own a laptop, it is relatively inexpensive $95.

Cons:

1. Not so easy a caveman can do it. If you improperly save your "rom" file or in the wrong format you are screwed.
    2. Supported only by online community or other OS users. No one to scream at, beg for support etc on a corporate level. Basically its on you.
    3. No built in low voltage safety or other safetys. You can ruin your comp, it has happened.
    4. Requires a laptop. If you don't have one, you are in APV2 territory.
    5. Requires multiple programs. one to flash, one to read, do the hokie pokie turn yourself around.
    6. Requires you have an inkling on tuning knowledge. If you have no clue how a internal combustion engine operates this option might not be for you.
    7. Not licensed so a lot of tuners don't support. A lot of tuners don;t like it not because that can't charge $$$ to tune, but because they assume a lot of liability when tuning with it without recourse. No one to turn to.

Price for protune. $95 (if you own a laptop) + $300 dyno= $395. No laptop = $395+(~$500-~$1000)=$895-$1395 for protune

When to go AP:

--I want instant gratification and don't want to do any tuning research, buy it, plug it in, hit a button, done.
    --I want a Cobb vendor in my area to do a protune
    --I like the look of cool flashy devices I can mount in cab for display.

Go OS when:

---I want to tune my car, Me.
    --I have a laptop and am a computer savy person.
    --I can afford to take time to troubleshoot items, this isn't my only car.
    --Cobb doesn't make a map relatively close to my application, its gonna take 3 weeks to tune and I can't afford to pay someone $100 a hour to tune it.
    --My dyno tuner is not a Cobb vendor.

this is some good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by subymobbin707 View Post
    this is some good stuff
    Way to bring back the dead. You realize it's 2011 and the last post was 08? Oh well bumpy bump
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

Actually?

It is good stuff.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Stupid Google and it's aiding in bringing threads back from the dead...
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbizzle View Post
    It is good stuff.

You mean out dated stuff? I really can't see any of those pro AP points being valid anymore.

I would say OS is so easy a caveman can do it.
    There's plenty of people who support OS.
    There are more experienced tuners who prefer OS.
    If you know how to use a computer you can flash with OS, I don't see how AP could be any easier.
    OS has more/better OTS maps available with more personal feedback, from what I've seen.

And once again, OS is not licensed, so many more tuners support it, not less.

I just can't really see AP being better in any way.. but I guess that's just me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbizzle View Post
    It is good stuff.
    I concur also that comparision is a bit outdated. Alot has changed and the Opensource software is easily on par with Cobb. In fact Cobb hired on of the lead developers from Romraider. Read the Opensource sticky at the top of the page. Both are great forms of EM and still have their Pro's and Con's.
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-03-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Is there a better place than RomRaider forums to get base maps? When I looked at their base map section, it looked pretty old. I didn't see a very good library at all for 2011 base maps as a starting point. Just browsed around a bit and did some reading, but I am curious as I am looking to do this with my new one after some time.

I'd rather have a base map to tweak than start from scratch until I get the hang of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Always good to have threads with these types of opinions... more things to consider when making the move.

Personally I think I'll start with the AP and seek a protune for it unless between now and then I become more educated on this process.
    Clark Tuned | Cobb SRI, DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | STi Group-N Engine Mounts | Plate Relocation | KB F+R Endlinks, Pitch Stop, Shift Knob, F+R Shift Bushings | Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear, Gearbox +Shift | PST Carbon Driveshaft | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Yakima Roof Rack + Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Is there a better place than RomRaider forums to get base maps? When I looked at their base map section, it looked pretty old. I didn't see a very good library at all for 2011 base maps as a starting point. Just browsed around a bit and did some reading, but I am curious as I am looking to do this with my new one after some time.

I'd rather have a base map to tweak than start from scratch until I get the hang of it.
    Unfortunately base maps are not just constantly generated. People contribute them. If you don't see a map for your car you can easily purchase one from a reputable tuner. Read the Opensource FAQ's of what sites you can find the free maps from.
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-03-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Unfortunately base maps are not just constantly generated. People contribute them. If you don't see a map for your car you can easily purchase one from a reputable tuner. Read the Opensource FAQ's of what sites you can find the free maps from.
    That is understandable. I will look more into it when that time comes. I was just curious if I was missing a big link along the lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I concur also that comparision is a bit outdated. Alot has changed and the Opensource software is easily on par with Cobb. In fact Cobb hired on of the lead developers from Romraider. Read the Opensource sticky at the top of the page. Both are great forms of EM and still have their Pro's and Con's.
    Thanks Donkey...good read.

I just want to know what Subaru dealer sells AP and backs up warranty, that's sweet. Sounds like its in NorCal, but wonder if any SoCal offer the same.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    No Subaru dealer will sell an AccessPort. The only thing dealers can sell you are Subaru parts. The warranty issue is discussed almost daily here. I'm sure you could find in depth info on it with a quick search. Here are the cliff notes: The warranty is never voided. However, warranty claims can be denied if the failure of the part was the result of aftermarket modifications or abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    No Subaru dealer will sell an AccessPort. The only thing dealers can sell you are Subaru parts. The warranty issue is discussed almost daily here. I'm sure you could find in depth info on it with a quick search. Here are the cliff notes: The warranty is never voided. However, warranty claims can be denied if the failure of the part was the result of aftermarket modifications or abuse.
    I must be tripping or reading to many threads. Thought I read that a guy in NorCal got his AP from his dealership and would warranty their work...that's why I was like let me get that hookup. I think I need to step back from reading everything, I'm getting overloaded learning about my new ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12