Turbo timer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo timer within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can someone explain exactley what they do. And are they worth buying?...

Turbo timer

Can someone explain exactley what they do.
    And are they worth buying?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ok i'm going to try to explain this without rambling. turbo timers basically keep your car running for a certain period of time after youre done driving so that the turbo cools down before the car shuts off

wrx's dont need them though.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ok i'm going to try to explain this without rambling. turbo timers basically keep your car running for a certain period of time after youre done driving so that the turbo cools down before the car shuts off

wrx's dont need them though.
    Correct. The WRX turbo is liquid and oil cooled. This allows cooling by liquid after the engine shuts down.

I do make an exception to this after running for a half hour or more continuously on the highway. This is also good for a normally aspirated engine as it allows for the various engine components to equalize temperature-wise. One to two minutes is what I usually use.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I have an 02 WRX, does anybody know the perfect fitting turbo timer to go next to the cup holder in the dash?

I was thinking along the lines of the GReddy one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GREDDY-FULL-AU...QQcmdZViewItem

Any idea if this one is any good? says full auto turbo timer, what more can you need?

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyroo_WRX View Post
    does anybody know the perfect fitting turbo timer to go next to the cup holder in the dash?
    Like this? Here's mine. I got it off Ebay. I had to get the ignition harness from MachV Motorsports though. Boom, whack, done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_7672.jpg  
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    Like this? Here's mine. I got it off Ebay. I had to get the ignition harness from MachV Motorsports though. Boom, whack, done.

yes is your cup holder on the right? it just clicked that mines on the left, prob the difference between uk spec. Ideally i wanted one that slotted in flush rather than a remote face like the DC one.

Is it any good, is there any other functions apart from adjusting the delay?

I Support ClubWRX
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

great link thanks, i guess the only advantage is to warm your car up in these crazy british winters, that may have swung me in not buying one, ill get the downpipe instead, onto another drama off which and why... its never ending

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Correct. The WRX turbo is liquid and oil cooled. This allows cooling by liquid after the engine shuts down.

I do make an exception to this after running for a half hour or more continuously on the highway. This is also good for a normally aspirated engine as it allows for the various engine components to equalize temperature-wise. One to two minutes is what I usually use.
    A great big +1!
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

who ever thinks turbo timers are a waste of money for wrx's just because they are oil and water cooled is incorrect. the point of leaving the engine running after driving is so that the engine can keep circulating oil and water through the turbo. this is how the turbo must transfer its heat. so even though its water and oil cooled, it still needs to dissipate heat.
    Wingl3ss @lliance #18
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #71

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Unabomber
    Are Turbo Timers necessary with Subaru Turbos? No.

June 2001 TechTIPS published by Subaru for Subaru Technicians states:

"2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE
    FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DentGuy05 View Post
    who ever thinks turbo timers are a waste of money for wrx's just because they are oil and water cooled is incorrect. the point of leaving the engine running after driving is so that the engine can keep circulating oil and water through the turbo. this is how the turbo must transfer its heat. so even though its water and oil cooled, it still needs to dissipate heat.
    That is what the coolant is for.Good thing you read the links posted in this thread.Also the WRX has a built in liquid/air oil cooler as well.It's right above the oil filter as it screws onto it.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-02-2008 at 05:45 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    That is what the coolant is for.Good thing you read the links posted in this thread.Also the WRX has a built in liquid/air oil cooler as well.It's right above the oil filter as it screws onto it.
    thanks for straighting me out. i guess i have no idea what im talking about. vaporizing coolant does sound like a more affective way to cool down a turbo.
    Wingl3ss @lliance #18
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #71

I Support ClubWRX
    It's amazing that Subaru not only waranties their turbo'd cars, they offer extended pretection plans on them... and yet... not only do they fail to supply or recommend a turbo timer, they don't even HAVE a cool down period/process stated anywhere in the owner's manual...

It's ok though because I am much more knowledgeable then all of Subarus so called "engineers"...

We all know that whole fluid moving after the car is off stuff is a load of crap. In fact I'll bet it's a conspiracy between all the auto manufactures, considering there is not a single mass produced turbo car sold in the US right now that has or recommends a turbo timer.
    Last edited by TheJ; 01-03-2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spellin
    -The J

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.