Utec
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Utec within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I brought my WRX up from Texas (sea level) to Utah. It has quite a few mods and im curious ...

Utec

I brought my WRX up from Texas (sea level) to Utah. It has quite a few mods and im curious if I should retune it for the higher elevation. (AFR and what not)
    Also what is a good range for the Timing #1 on my dashboard in the UTEC? right now its running about 12.7 degrees before TDC.

Thanks for helping me out

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know the answer to any of those. But I would try posting over at Nasioc. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable people with UTEC godlike knowledge.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

A general rule of thumb on timing vs altitude is +2% for every 1000ft gain.
    I have used +10% for timing on my previous non-OBDII NA vehicles here in ABQ ( 5200ft ).
    On AF ratio, 14.7:1 is still the ideal target. The onboard O2 sensor and ECU will maintain this regardless of altitude. I don't recommend playing too much with AF, especially if you travel to lower altitude locations on a regular basis.
    Hopefully you have the selector switch with your UTEC, as with the AF if you travel to lower altitude you can cause some problems. Make a tune for your local area and have a backup for travel.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

altitude doesn't affect turbo charged cars as much as NA cars since turbo charged cars are running an altered atmosphere anyways. Boost control will be affect more than anything. I be more worried about the difference in fuel quality than altitude.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Testes is right about the fuel quality. Higher altitude reduces detonation potential which is why we rarely find octane rating over 91 at "normal" filling stations. It is also the reason you can usually advance timing w/o having the ECU pull it out due to knock.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    altitude doesn't affect turbo charged cars as much as NA cars since turbo charged cars are running an altered atmosphere anyways. Boost control will be affect more than anything. I be more worried about the difference in fuel quality than altitude.
    The words of a master. I was having problems with my target boost after the weather got colder. I was over boosting and my KC was going nuts I changed the Waste Gate temprature compenstation and docked my WGDC durring spool and bam! I was hitting target boost once again. I thought I would have troubles with the KC still but every thing was strait. 4.5 across the board.

I <3 enginuity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
    Testes is right about the fuel quality. Higher altitude reduces detonation potential which is why we rarely find octane rating over 91 at "normal" filling stations. It is also the reason you can usually advance timing w/o having the ECU pull it out due to knock.
    That is interesting You would think it would be opposite but I guess with less/thinner air, you don't have to worry about lean mixtures.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.